- advertisement -

Paranoia with sibling?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NatBMomto4, Jun 16, 2011.

1. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

When Andrew was dx's a little over a year ago, I tried to reassure myself - as did our endo - that my other children were not in much greater danger of being dx'd than any other child. I don't test my other children routinely, either. But for some reason, I cannot shake the feeling that I need to keep a watchful eye on my youngest, who is 2 1/2. I have dreams of her being dx'd - nightmares, really. The thing is, I can't decide if the things I am seeing in her that have me on alert are legitimate "be concerned" signs or if I am just paranoid because of Andrew's dx. Things like she barely eats - but she drinks alot - I would guess that more than half of her calories in a day comes from her milk! Yet her weight is fine. Her urine has a strong odor, but it always has. Her skin on the bottom of her feet and palms and insides of her fingers is peeling - alot. When Andrew was dx'd the endo asked us if he had very dry skin when he was small. He did, and they told me that is often the case in children who are dx'd. Yesterday I caved and decided to test her. I tested her about 10 minutes after lunch - I bought her a Happy Meal in the hopes she would actually eat, but she only ate 3 french fries and 1 1/2 nuggets - she did, however drain the milk. She was 134 which I thought was fine right after eating.

This isn't a "does she or doesn't she have it" post - I am wondering if any of you feel paranoid about your other children being dx'd or if I am just being irrationally worried about something completely out of my control. So, am I the only one???:eek:

2. minniem

minniem Approved members

I understand feeling worried your other kids may get it. I do at times. Even though we have no history of diabetes in our family, we do have other auto-immune diseases in my immediate family with my other kids.

I try to tell myself not to worry about things I can't control (easier said than done :)) I also take things one day at a time. Of course, we are still so new to this...but I really do think of only one day at a time to keep from feeling completely overwhelmed.

I hope my other kids don't get it, but if they do I'll deal with it like I did with DS. What other choice do we have. :)

I'm sure you know this as this is your youngest, but they do go through really picky phases of wanting to eat and not wanting to eat. At times my kids seemed to be getting a lot of their intake from milk too! Remember milk is very filling so maybe you could offer her food first and drinks later so she doesn't get full from the milk. Easier said than done with a toddler but maybe worth a try?

Try not to worry too much. But I understand how you're feeling. I wish you the best of luck.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Natalie, I absolutely was paranoid for awhile. I think many of us are on "high alert" after a child is diagnosed with d. We think of all the things we missed with the first one, the drinking more and peeing more and the fussy behavior and the fatigue. We start seeing those same things in our other kids and wonder if they may mean the same thing or could they just be coincidence. I did test Harry once because he got up to use the bathroom at night which wasnt normal for him but not completely abnormal for any child. If he complains of being real thirsty I will still feel a little skip to my heartbeat and watch him a little closer for a day or two.

I dont think its unhealthy to be wary of type 1 in our non-d kids and looking for the signs. I think if your daughter has always been this way and you havent seen any major changes recently then she will probably be fine:cwds:

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I think this is perfectly normal in the first year. I went through it, because I was beating myself up about how I could have possibly missed what was going on with my daughter. Anytime my non-d daughter drank more, went to the bathroom more, I was on pins and needles. Trust me, in time it does go away. I ended up going to a counselor who specialized in helping families with chronic illness. It was a big help just to talk through it with her.

If you feel you need a true definitive answer, you can always do TrialNet. However, I can tell you, if you get a result that is not negative, meaning your child does have some markers, it opens a whole other can of worms. It happened to us, even though we were expecting it (our kids are identical twins), it still came as a shock to see it on paper.

So, I can say, today is our 6 year "diaversary" and while we still have fleeting moments wondering about our other child, it is always fleeting. It's here, it's gone. We have been able to move on from the thoughts. But, as I said, it takes time and in my case, help.

5. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I have the same feelings about my youngest, she just reminds me a lot of hanna as a toddler. But trial net came back fine and I just try to put it out of my mind. She also barely eats, still would rather nurse and fills her diapers. There wAs one day that she was so thirsty all day that I tested her fasting and postpranial and she was normal.

6. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Hi,

I go thru phases of worrying that our younger ds might have D. He is soooo skinny and it reminds me of how Alex looked just before he was dx. But so far, he's fine.

I work with toddlers and your dd's behavior is very common. Many little ones prefer to drink milk over eating. So that's probably her issue.

7. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

This is normal. I get what you are going through. We used to joke about chasing Andrew around with a meter, wanting to check him whenever he peed twice in a half hour.

The reality of that second diagnosis is nothing at all like that worry.

The night that Andrew was diagnoised was a world apart.

I knew. I just knew.

Try not to make yourself crazy.

Enroll in a trial or study if you feel inclined.

Otherwise, live your life to the fullest.

8. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

I can relate to all of the other posts. Quinn is 15 months and theres not a day goes by that it dosen't cross my mind I embrace every day that he dosen't need tested or his dinner carb counted. I dont really stress about it, whats the point, as far as I'm concerned if any of our other kids develop D then we as parents of already diagnosed kids are way ahead of the learning game many others have to face which is not pretty. Although we all were new to this lifestyle at one point we have come so far in our altered lives with D. Your feelings are completely normal.:cwds:

9. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I feel the same way with the youngest who is 15 months right now. I've tested him and i rarely saw a number below 100. I've stopped testing. I still have nightmares about him getting it and I can't shake off the feeling that he will, one of these years, without rhyme or reason as to why I feel that way. I try not to dwell on the feeling.

He already know the process of checking. Has been doing it since he was 13 months and would insist on being checked sometimes. I hate it.

10. Mom2fourgrtkids

Mom2fourgrtkids Approved members

I worry about my 14 yr old son being positive for type 1. My 10 yr old was diagnosed 2 yrs ago. When my 14 yr old drinks a lot, or seems more tired than usual, I worry. I've talked to him about it, he just thinks I'm nuts. It does run in our family, as my 5 yr old grandson was diagnosed when he was 2. I think it's totally normal to worry.

11. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

You are completly normal. My youngest who was just dx'd on Mon. I did worry about when he was born. And the other parent is right about it does go in phases. When I noticed the signs in him, I was not worried about him at all. I think that is why I thought him not eating just beening a pre-school phase of just wanting to play.

12. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

I worry about my son. Just yesterday I tested him its the third time since my DD was Dx in March he was thirsty quite a bit yesterday but we were going a lot and traveling to Orlando for the day and he was going to sleep at my Moms so we could put his new bed together BUT I had to test him before he got out of the car just to be safe. While the meeter was reading his blood I was holding my breath and was sure it was going to read HI just as it had when I tested my then 18 mo. old daughter a couple of months ago... When the meeter beeped I looked down and saw 128! Thank goodness he was OK! I worry about this a lot and I worry more on how it would affect him since he is so sure he will never have Diabetes like his Daddy and sister. I hope he is right :cwds:

13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

What does the pediatrician say regarding the skin peeling? Have you seen a dermatologist?

14. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

I haven't seen a Dr about it yet - it really started getting bad a little over a week ago. It is worse on one hand than the other - the "worse" hand, though - her WHOLE palm and palm-side of her fingers are peeling! She has a few patches that are peeling on the other hand and bottoms of her feet, but nothing like the "bad" hand. Even Andrew never had it that bad! I have been putting lotion on it, but it doesn't help. It doesn't seem to bother her, but it doesn't seem "normal", either.

15. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Do you think she has or could have had Hand, Foot and Mouth disease? All three of mine had this and afterwards the skin on their hands and feet peeled right off. I remember Oscar (d kid) being really bad. It's so contagious and easy to pick up. My first and last got it at daycare - Oscar got it from a ball pen.

16. Mellaforce

Mellaforce Approved members

I totally understand. My son with type 1 is 8 and my 5 year old has been drinking and eating like he is starving all the time and that's how my 8 year old acted before we found out. I am very paranoid about this and he has been wetting the bed a lot. I think i will check him just to reassure myself that this isn''t the truth, at least i hope not!