- advertisement -

Parallel universe - anyone btdt?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mysweetwill, Feb 27, 2012.

1. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

W has been running lower than normal for a week now (conincidentally since he started his CGM). We lowered his lantus to 1 and have been upping his carb ratio. Yesterday he began to crash after .5 novo for 30+ carbs and even had almost 20 uncovered carbs before bed to get him up and keep him up - which went fine, he was in the 130 range all night and woke up at 90.

Today he began a nose dive after gym and had an uncovered snack of 30 or so carbs. On and on it went all day, low numbers, no insulin. Well, here we are at 7:30pm and he has had over 150 carbs today with no insulin. He has not gone over 140. This feels surreal.

Of course Ive heard of kids going theough periods of no insulin while honeymooning, but I am baffled by it. For those of you have experienced something similar, is there any rhyme or reason to this? Do you just take it meal by meal and watch those post meal numbers?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

have you checked for ketones?

I bet a good old tummy bug is knocking at your "Parallel universe;s"door.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Sorry I did not realise how newly Dx'd your guys were.

If not a tummy bug with ketones and low bg, then yes a honeymoon can be coming on strong.

I have read of children either going off bolus insulin and others basal and bolus, and everything inbetween.

4. mysweetwill

Yes, thanks. He has been honeymooning all along, but always has needed some, albeit small amounts of insulin. Even though everyone's experience is different, I was hoping someone here has gone through something similar and might have some advice.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We went through 10 days of that last summer following a virus. Five days of only needing Humalog with the largest meal and then 5 days without any insulin other than Lantus plus not actively carb-counting. Her Lantus needs also halved. Unfortunately, it didn't last. :cool:

6. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

DD was diagnosed about the same time. We have had times of halving the lantus (2.5 - 3) and no novolog duirng a few days. Very nerve wracking as went low at night with the little bit of lantus. Continued to follow standard work of checking ketones, BG, etc. - just a few days here and there low all day. BG checking is 10 -12 times during times like this!

Just the last 4 days we are back to the 5 u of Lantus at night. I:C is still 1:50.

Honeymoon, IMHO, is too crazy and makes a difficult situation even worse. We will be glad to see it gone.

7. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Must be something in the air, we are dealing with similar issues here. I had to run Kayla at a 50% basal last night.

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

FWIW
    Forty years of T1. I have had those times due to hormones, weight change and exercise changes but I often have them for who knows why!! I am past the hormone changes, I have pretty good control of my eating and exercise patterns, but I just finished two weeks of very abnormal (low) insulin needs and still am on a low insulin need at the three week point. I know it will switch at some point but when??? I run temporary basals for two weeks, then set up a new pattern, and then switch patterns as needed. It is a huge problem as you are always trying to make sure you are not too low or too high and so setting a new basal is hard when you are yo yoing. Sorry but at least for me it has been a forty year problem from teen to "old". No real answers except pumping really helps as you can use temp basals. For me that has allowed some measure of control, but only some. During these periods I still end up being in the forties three times a week and waking up high several mornings a week. :eek::cwds:ali

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

While we did not honeymoon, we have had two times that we have dropped basal and not given bolus insulin for food due to a tummy bug or after antiobiotics. Both times we had to do only correction boluses hours after the food due to the poor absorption. But in these time we also had ketones, witch was my only clue at the onset that we were in for a few weeks of things being off.

10. mysweetwill

Thanks for the replies. We have our pump here, our appointment to start is a few weeks out, which is actually ok with me, because I want to get a handle on our ratios now that everything is topsy turvy. Im honestly concerned because we always round down to the nearest .5 with the pens, evenif his ratio calls for 1.88 we do 1.5. That little smidgen of a difference can make a big difference, especially sinc ehe trends low. So the benefit of being able to manage tiny amounts with the pump worries me for the same reason, does that make sense?

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

But with the pump you can deal with buluses in portions way smaller than .50.
    .025 depending on pump.

you will be able to change ratios and basals to meet your needs. and easily make changes in basals prior to known activities that always lower bgs.

The pump is a big change for everyone, but the sooner you let the pump be "smart" for you the sonner you will be able do the fine tuning with basals/ratios/ISF's and duration. Once things are fine tuned the normal everyday boluses are simple.

12. mysweetwill

Right, I get all that. The pump will be great once whatever is happening with him at the moment (second day no insulin) evolves into who knows whats next!

13. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

In a way I'm kind of glad ~K didn't have a honeymoon period (thanks to her pedi here! :rolleyes:) ... I can't imagine giving insulin then realizing she didn't need it at that time.
    I hope things "settle down" soon enough.

14. mysweetwill

Thanks Ivy, its a weird mind game. It's literally a guessing game at this point, should we give it, will he crash? But it thrills him to be able to eat without an injection even some of the time. :cwds:

15. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I would personally not give the insulin, and check 2-3 hours after eating ...(I think).