- advertisement -

P**sed and Hurt - sorry, long

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by kiwimum, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Good point...How would that look, an ambulance has to meet a child at the bus stop because the company would not allow him to treat his low? I think this company needs to understand that food and drink is a "treatment" for a low...not a "snack"

Maybe the bus company would like to supply a fleet of ambulances to drive the diabetics around town in???

2. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

My opinions is you can't ask for your rights, lest someone who doesn't understand them say "no". You assert them.

So, make the driver take away the kid's food. Then you complain that the driver took away kids medically necessary items.

If they still refuse, take some glucose tablets and put them in a generic-looking container, maybe with a medical symbol. Stick a prescription label on it. Ask your doctor to Rx it if need be. Presto - now it's "medicine" that can't be taken away.

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I agree with the others, Take this to the media. They will love it!!!

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Get them girl!!! Does Tyler wear a medical alert bracelet? They could make it a policy that you are allowed food for medical reasons only. It doesn't seem THAT hard:rolleyes: (((((HUGS))))) to you and Tyler.

5. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

This is along the lines of ... it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. ;)

Perhaps if they still refuse after taking away the snack, you could require them to install an IV station with dextrose at the ready? Oh and don't forget the medic they will need to employ to administer the dextrose properly. :rolleyes: Sorry the bus driver was/is a jerk, sounds like the company gives them discretion on the policy.

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

i'm sorry!!!

one thing i've realized is that i don't call it eating for a low, i tell other kids that sam is having medicine for his diabetes---it makes it easier for them to understand

7. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

You guys are awesome!

I love the idea of packing the bus with kids having lows! That would throw a spanner in their works.

I also questioned would they be willing to face the consequences of a severe low and ambulances, etc. (Apparently older bro Sam told the girl next to him at the time that if Tyler has a low and dies, that company will jolly well be paying for the funeral! Bless him!)

I bet they wouldn't tell someone in a wheelchair that they couldn't ride the bus.

He wears a medic alert bracelet at all times, so it is not a case of being unable to prove his Type 1 status.

Tyler will be taking his cell phone to school so if he gets kicked off the bus for eating, he'll be able to contact us to collect him. I bet the next fight will be with the school when they find that he has the cell phone against school policy!

8. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

That is plain cruel:eek:, so sorry this happened to Tyler!!! I should just put the cell phone on vibrate and not showing it to anybody, this way you won't have to fight the school too!:D

How about a nice protest, outside the headquaters of the bus company, with big fat signs, asking people to boycott this bus company until they change their policies!

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Here in America they have a news channel that does the SHAME ON YOU on certain businesses and companies that seriously wrong the public! Shame on them..What would of happened if your son ate his snack?? That bus driver is a jerk! I agree, write a letter and alert the media...Im angry this happened to your son..What is wrong with people these days?????!!!!!!

10. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

That's awful. Do they really want an unconscious kid on their bus.
    Contact Campbell Live, Close up and Fair Go. They'd all be interested in this story. Let me know if I can help in anyway. I'm only a little way up the road in Palmy North.

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I agree 110%:D

12. zoesmama

zoesmama Approved members

Debs, I'm so sorry to hear of this ordeal.... unbelievable.... you and Stacie should kick some @ss.... And do let all of us know if you need any help..... :cwds:

13. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

I am so sorry this happed to your son. I cannot believe some people :mad:

14. Grace

Grace Approved members

And do you think he would have treated an adult the same way? I doubt it. :mad:

My ds(17) had an incident last night at his basketball game. Game started at 9:15 PM... he went to the snack bar to buy a gatorade and the lady wouldn't sell him one because they closed at half-time of the previous game (we weren't there yet). Even after he explained he had diabetes. When I went up, they gave me the gatorade. Crazy. And this was a Christian school tournament.

15. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

As we have just found out, some people are jerks!:mad:

16. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

Crikey Debs!!!!
    Take this to Close Up or Campbell Live...The bus company are a bunch of wan**rs!!!!!

There it goes again, people stereotyping Diabetes, because it is always plugged for Type 2, and 90% of the people out there have no idea what Type 1 is!!!!

Dylan catches the bus, but no incidents yet, if there is, I will be telling them to stick their bus right up their ass!

It is all down to total ignorance, take them to the media, lets see what they say then.

Keep me updated!!

take care

Kim

17. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

is this guy related to that lunch lady that keeps trying to take that kids pump? It just blows me away how some people can be so stupid.

18. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

The bus company has a bad policy, obviously.
    The driver? I don't know. It clearly looks like a lack of common sense but as with many companies, the employees that they consider the most valuable and reliable are NOT the ones who think for themselves. They are the ones that follow all the company rules EXACTLY and never make any waves. They don't question management, they just do their job and go home. I don't like people like that because I think they are brainless butt kissers but management often loves them.

So is the driver to blame for following his company's policy? Hmmm.

There also may be another segment of drivers who have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Meaning that they might be willing to overlook you eating on their bus for a medical reason but if you actually come up to them and ask what the policy is, they have no choice but to tell you and enforce it.

In any case the bus company policy needs to change.

19. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I am so sorry you all are going through this....

I ready a lot of the comments and have to say that I think I would involve as many people as possible to bring this to light. Continue to move up the chain of command at the bus stations, call local papers and TV and radio stations, contact local JDRF, contact local ADA and anyone else....

This is wrong on so many different levels...

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.

20. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Absolutely! policy change is in order...but lets face it..ignorance is the main issue here.

I don't think the bus company understood hypoglycemic episode...if they did ...gee seizure, comma or a kid eating ...Sounds like the company needs education in the D area...