advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overnight Correction?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by T1-Daddy, Nov 22, 2017.

1. T1-Daddy

T1-Daddy New Member

New 5yr old daughter t1 parent. I manage nights very well, I’m calculated on snack at bed and seem to control numbers well overnight steady at 115. But tonight my daughter was over 400 but coming down slow. 2.5 hrs still at 300 at 1:30 am.
    Do you correct at night? My Endo said no. If so how long do you wait to correct. I’m staring at the dex just waiting for it to fall. I’ll stay up all night to prevent a low.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We correct at night, esp with Dexcom.

How long has your daughter been diagnosed?

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

If you're still seeing a 300 after 2.5 hours, you're extremely unlikely to see a low. I would be correcting again at that point with that high of number, but each person has to get a feel for their child and how the insulin works.

Could your daughter be getting sick? Usually if we see a high that isn't budging or not much, it's because of a basal need increase due to illness or the like. My daughter typically needs 160% more with illness, though we were told 120% by the doctor in the early years. It's a process of getting to know your own kid; Dexcom makes it so much easy to find patterns and do it safely. Is she pumping or on shots?

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

How long since your daughter was diagnosed?

And how many units a day of insulin is she getting in total?

5. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

"Do you correct at night? My Endo said no. If so how long do you wait to correct. I’m staring at the dex just waiting for it to fall. I’ll stay up all night to prevent a low.

Yes, we do. We have always corrected at night, whenever our daughter is high.

We are more conservative at night, in that, our target at night time is 120, our day time target is 100. Otherwise, we correct highs at night time is the same as we correct highs during the day.

6. mikegl31

mikegl31 Approved members

Yes, we always correct at night. I can't lay in bed knowing that he is hight, it drives me crazy.

We also find that his BG drops slower at night, especially if he gets up into the 300s. Many times it takes multiple corrections for his number to get back down.

My son was also diagnosed at 5. Hang in there - it doesn't go away, but it does "get better" in terms of life returning to a sense of normalcy.

7. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

If you want to correct, correct. I don't care what the endo says. He doesn't live in your house & this is not his kid. I know I am late to post, but next time, if you want to correct & are concerned about going low, does HALF of the daytime correction & test in 2 hours. Being conservative is wise. That said, you have the dex, it's there to alert you. You can always give juice if they go low, or give more insulin if that dose doesn't do it. Make notes of what they ate & how the numbers played out, it may help for next time. Sometimes though, diabetes has a mind of its own!

8. Deb Schmidt

Deb Schmidt New Member

I'm of course not a Doctor, but we correct at night, especially with Dexcom. I'm actually surprised that they would tell you not to because staying at that high level and not taking action could cause her not to feel well in the morning...tummy aches, ketones....those kinds of things. I correct my son at night and if I'm concerned about it, I get up a couple hours later to check again. Although I feel that his correction dosage has been tweaked well enough that it doesn't throw him into a low. If it does, that may be something you can talk to your Dr about.