- advertisement -

Over production of insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by monkeyschool, Jun 20, 2011.

1. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I've run into a couple of people that tell me their pancreas overproduced insulin so they have to carb up or they go low. Is this considered to be in the family of diabetes? Is there a specific term for it? I was trying to google it to see how it relates, but all my searches just day hypoglycemia....is their a dx name for the condition?

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Hyperinsulinemia? I think that means that you have too much insulin -- not sure about the "carbing up" part.

3. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Could be they have reactive hypoglycemia--though "carbing up" just leads to continual cycle of excess insulin release/low BGs. Ideally would eat small meals/snacks every few hours, limit simple sugars, mixed protein/moderate carb intake at each feeding

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

There's a few things going on there:
    1. Reactive hypoglycemia exists as a state in which the body reacts to a sugar rush with too much insulin. This is not uncommon as a feature of prediabetes (I suspect I had this problem as a preteen) but it can exist without progressing to diabetes, and in some cases it can be severe- I know a woman who has passed out from lows from her reactive hypoglycemia, and it's been twenty years since the first time it happened.
    2. A lot of times people's doctors tell them they should eat more regularly if they complain of feeling dizzy, etc. Most of them don't actually experience low blood sugar- but they think they do. Some of them really do.
    3. Some people really do make a lot of insulin as a basal state and go low, which can be part of:
    4. If your liver doesn't release sugar the way it's supposed to, you can get a low blood sugar if you don't eat often enough.

5. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I was just now discussing this with my kids. One of my friends, my son's best friend's mother,does have a condition in which her body produces too much insulin. I asked her more about it recently and she says that she is pre Diabetes, pre Type 2 that is. She doesn't "carb up" unless she feels low. She did say the other day that there are certain things she is unable to eat because of the carb content, such as bananas. She does also have Hashimotos and I don't know enough about it to know how much that effects her diet. I do know that whenever we go places together, she takes a little insulate bag with a protein drink,and yogurt.

6. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Thanks guys. Two of the ones we ran into are kids at my DD's dance classes. One we ran into at the ice cream store, mid 30s (saw DD's pen and inquired if she had D). The kids at dance I know don't test regularly except before bed, but go by feel and either have a banana before class or take tabs if they feel low during class...they are not related so I was wondering if that was the common treatment and the extent of treatment they have or if they also need to take drugs like D kids to hold back their hyperactive production. I was also curious if it was the 'opposite' of D1 where they have too many beta cells, or if they just don't have a 'sensor' to stop producing insulin once it starts. The woman at the ice cream store said it was a 24x7 production so it led me to believe it was like the basal. The kids I haven't spoken to, they've been talking to DD. I'll have to see if I can figure out who their parents are today :)

I can't seem to find much relevant info out there, but was surprised to have met multiple people with the conidition in a matter of weeks.

Thank you all for your input.

D..

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

Wasn't there a dad on the boards at one time whose son was born making way too much insulin? I can't remember, but it seems like he had a continuous feeding tube and they were considering removing his pancreas.

Does this ring a bell with anybody else?

8. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

As a toddler my youngest sister had several seizures - after a whole lot of tests they told us it was not epilepsy but hypoglycemia. She would get very cranky, pale, clammy. Then her eyes would roll back in her head and she was seizing. We were told she had to eat "little and often" and to always have sugar on hand (sound familiar). I'm not sure whether it's an over production of insulin or the liver not working as well as it should to regulate the low blood sugars. The only name we were ever given for it was hypoglycemia.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Yeah, I remember him. And I know of somebody who had a partial pancreatectomy for something similar. I think that's really rare though.

10. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

sounds to me like hypoglcemia, my mom had it as a kid. she would pass out and they would need to give her orange juice, she was never officially dx though.....