- advertisement -

Outraged by company's behavior!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by victoria, Jan 12, 2010.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

I agree that it's awful that our kids have to endure any kind of pain whatsoever! But as even you stated in an earlier post, there are other lancing devices out there, such as the Multiclix, that a lot of our children have used without any pain.

While I agree that the OP has a right to be angry that they have purchased a very expensive product that is now no longer available, I was just a little confused by how upset the OP was over the fact that her daughter wouldn't be able to use this product any more. No offense - I just read it as being, for lack of a better word, a bit theatrical. It is, after all, just a lancing device. ;)

2. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

You might understand if you had a child who was terrified of lancing.

Chuck

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I just re-read the OP's original post and nowhere did I see that she said her 12 year old was "terrified" of lancing. :confused:

4. MelStan

MelStan Member

I'm exactly the same Wilf. I think they REALLY hurt, even on a low setting.
    Our kids are pretty tough if you ask me

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

I'm not speaking for the OP. As a physician, I see adults with T1 who are clearly terrified of needles. Age has nothing to do with it, but yes, many children are also afraid, or just hate it.
    A common reason for poor compliance (there's that word again) is that people hate to test. They hate to test because they hate lancing.

Chuck

6. victoria

victoria Approved members

No offense taken - I regret that I am not able to write "dry" letters, when I am trying to make a point of being taken advantage of and powerless to do anything about it. The issue that I raised was not how will I deal with a 12 year old who is terrified of needles... this is our life now and terrified or not she will do what she needs to do. She will forever be my hero! The issue, which I raised was more that (whether we like it or not) we have become a very tasty bait for all the companies involved in managed care of diabetes (how is that for theatrical?). You can find this issue in other areas of life as well, but I am sticking to this right now, since it is close to my heart. Whether we like it or not, companies involved in the daily management of diabetes do play up to our fears and desire to help ourselves, our children, etc. Some are doing that scrupulously, some are not. The biggest peeve I have with Pelikan, is that if this was a regulated industry where the rights of the consumer was protected, Pelikan would not be able to do what it did without consequence. And consequence would be refunding customers appropriated amount for the initial device. I think my issue is put to rest now. By the way to Pelikan users in the same boat as us without supplies of discs: I did locate a supply of discs in Europe, which I am buying through friends and bringing to the States. I will share them gladly at my cost if you need them. I will post again once I have them.

7. soapstone

soapstone New Member

pelikan's appalling behavior

I just got off the telephone with one of the few remaining employees at Pelikan, Tom Shoup, who clearly did not agree with the board's decision. He told me: "They (the board of directors) simply made it as an investment decision," with no regard to its existing clients whose lives may depend on it. The device, according to Mr. Shoup, was never a money maker, mostly because of poor marketing. They sacked their CEO two years ago as a result.

yes, there are other lancing devices out there, but none painless like the Pelikan. and if it's exceptionally painful to some people with diabetes, they are not going to test their blood as often as they should, ie -- putting their lives at risk. .

my son was diagnosed last year, after almost dying, then spending 4 days in the icu. then he realized he was going to have to stick himself throughout the day with "the rusty nail." he was extremely upset and dreaded every time he had to stick himself.

we discovered the pelikan and it vastly improved the quality of his new life as a diabetic.

apparently Pelikan is looking for money to test a new, updated painless device. but they are at least 2 years and 85 million dollars away. i then explored with Mr. Shoup the possiblility of getting them back into production of the lancets, so the people with the device can continue to use it without having to reuse their lancets. Again, it comes down to money and greed.

Pelikan's Board of Directors stopped production with no notice, and no attempt or even thought about stockpiling them for their existing customers, according to Mr. Shoup who is clearly disgusted with their actions, especially after talking to more than 200 upset Pelikan users or their parents). This is appaling. It is greed at its worst.

are there any lawyers out there? is there any legal action that can be taken against this company and its board of directors as a class action suit? if anyone is interested in pursuing this, please let me know.

8. Toni

Toni Banned

Pelikan was SO pricey..... I couldn't believe what they were asking. I only bought it because one Dad mentioned he just reused the disks again and again and got a lot of use out of each disk. Glad now she wouldn't try it and did not even get any use out of it for that very reason. (No longer have the Pelikan). I would try tiniboys; search for all posts because some parents have found a way to use them instead. Still using the lancer that comes with the Freestyle; she hates change. P.S. had a feeling they may go out of business if insurance refused to pick up the cost of the meters and lancets.

9. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

I second that Accuchek Multiclix! It seems to be less painful for my daughter. I am sorry that that happened to you with the other company.

10. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I agree. And one would have to file a complaint with the attorney general's office and the Federal Trade Commission which would then investigate and there is no guarantee of anything.

11. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Definately try the Accu Chek Multi Clix..it is all we have used since dx as a baby and it has different levels of settings that make it easy on little ones /sensitive fingers...
    I hate when that happens too..and Im sorry that happened to you.
    Call Accu Check and ask for a sample they will send you one..if you want to try it.

12. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I love the pelikan but it is unwieldy and expensive so we usually use the multiclix.

But I see a definite difference in the feel and believe there is a huge difference in the damage done. First CDE we had was type 1 and I remember seeing how calloused the ends of her fingers were. Hardly the end of the world, but I I truly think the Pelikan helped that.

Of course, I got to use it for a couple years, so my situation is different. But I am not angry that they are discontinuing the product. I don't expect anyone to make a product that they don't make money off of. I don't work for free. I find it a shame they couldn't get this one up and running. I know I promoted it every chance I got.