- advertisement -

Our turn with mono

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Illinifan, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Did my due diligence prior to posting and found the thread about Katie Jane having mono from this spring. Lots of good info, but I think there's enough difference to warrant a new thread.

Zach tested positive for mono late last week. In addition to that, his white blood cell count was low. We've had the blood work redone and we are waiting on the results.

Our complicating factor is that Zach has an EXTREMELY high pain tolerance and never complains about being uncomfortable. He has had severe strep infections in the past and when we finally figure out what's going on, he says, "Yeah, my throat was a little scratchy".

We found out via research today that there are two tests you can be Positive for for mono. One is a positive test that you've had it in the past and two is the positive for an active virus. We're not sure yet which version Zach was positive for. All I know for sure is that he's not as wiped out as I would expect him to be. What I don't know is what to attribute that to: either his high pain tolerance or the maybe that he tested as positive for having it in the past.

We were also told that getting a flu shot can "reactivate" the mono virus. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

TIA.

UPDATE: White blood cell count is on the low end of normal, but platlettes are low. We have an appointment on Friday morning.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Not everyone who has the active virus feels crummy. That's why the virus shows up in much of the population, even though they can't remember feeling sick with mono. Count your blessings that he's doing well! :)

3. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

Tony has had mono and a few flu shots since then, never reactivated it. But there's been a few times that he feels crummy that they check to make sure it's not back. It was difficult to manage diabetes because he slept most of the days/nights away and we had to get food in him. Lots of carby fluids. Hope it doesn't last that long!