- advertisement -

Our super bolus plan - it seems to be working

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I posted a few weeks back about perpetual highs. We are in a better place with those but still fight the breakfast spikes.

The initial guidance for super blousing was 2 hours. So we did that. But some days she was going low from that.

We figured that it had something to do with where she was starting, and/or what she was eating.

So, with Emma's help - and yes, she figured some of this out herself, have come up with a plan that seems to be working for the super bolus.

Starting BG > 150 - 2 hours of super bolus added to breakfast
    Starting BG > 100 but < 150 - 1.5 hours of super bolus added to breakfast
    Starting BG < 100 - 1 hour of super bolus added to breakfast

Any one of those meals include cereal, then she adds .5 hours of super bolus to the breakfast dose. She then turns off the basal for the requisite amount of time. The good news is we have an easy basal pattern during this period - 0.400 an hour - so its usually 0.4, 0.6, or 0.8 being added in.

Thought I'd share

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We haven't super bolused in a while, but breakfast is really doing a number on K at the moment. I think it's time to revisit the plan. Thanks for reminding me! I'm glad you have worked out a system that works!

3. shannong

shannong Approved members

We don't super bolus for breakfast because we are not having any issues there, but I sometimes super bolus for corrections. So if my son is high and I want to bring it down quick but without having to fight lows later, I've tried the super bolus and it has worked well. I also keep an eye on the dexcom and the minute it starts trending upward again, if I restore basal, it seems to work well.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I had never thought to super bolus a correction. That's a good idea for a higher than normal high. Do you do two hours of basal into the correction?

5. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Thanks Shannong, I may try this. We are struggling with corrections. Either it doesn't bring him down or it crashes him. Always up for another tool in the toolbox! Thanks!

6. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

What is 'super bolus" ?? Sounds like you are doing an extended or combo bolus for 1-2 horus depending on her sugar. But are you giving more than the carb ratio?

7. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

We have the same problems with breakfast (especially cereal and oatmeal included). How do you (or your child) remember to turn off and on the basal? What about school days?

Thanks!

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Great idea to use Super Bolus for corrections! Why didn't I think of that? My daughter hates being high, and pushes me to override corrections to get her down faster, and you know what happens then.

For the person that asked, Super Bolus is adding the basal amount to the dose, and setting a 0 basal for an hour or two.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We set it as a 0% temporary basal rate on the Revel for the required number of hours. It comes back on at 100% at that point, so we can send him off to school without worry.

10. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Thanks for sharing your experience! Mornings have been a beast for us lately, i think we will give it a shot.