- advertisement -

Our little Princess has type 1 age 2 1/2

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Aeagle, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Aeagle

Aeagle Approved members

Hello Everyone, My little Princess has just been diagnosed with type 1 about 4 mths ago. She is 2 1/2 years old. We had notice that she was lossing weight and she could not get enough to drink. She had lost 10lbs! We took her to the doc and he checked her urine and she had Large ketones then he did a blood sugar check and it was 593. The Doc then sent us to the hospital and said she is in ketosis so they sent her to icu. She was in the hospital for a week. We came home and a mth later we went back to the hospital b/c of large ketones and fever. It has been very hard for her and us. We struggle with this everyday now. We are trying to coup with all of this and are now getting comfortable with the carb counting and insulin.

2. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Hello...so sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us. Where in NC are you? I'm in NC, too.

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Welcome to our little forum! Wish you didn't need to be here!

My dd was dx'd just after her 3rd b-day almost 6 years ago. I distinctly remember that "overwhelmed" feeling. ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

4. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I'm sorry for your daughter's diagnosis....I know how rough this can be. You're definitely in the right place, here. This forum got me through the first few months after my daughter was diagnosed, the people here are quick with answers, often getting me the answer I needed before my DD's endo could return my page.

I know how overwhelming this all is, and it seems like life will never the same again, but you will get through this, and you'll soon find a "new normal." Most days now, the diabetes just isn't a big deal. We test and measure and treat...it's all routine, now.

I'm sorry you and your daughter are going through this, but I'm glad you found this place...

5. lynn

lynn Approved members

Welcome to the family. My Nathan was two-and-a-half when he was diagnosed as well. It is a challenge with the stubborn two's, isn't it?

How is she doing with shots? Finger pokes? Eating?

How are you doing with shots? Finger pokes? Eating? A diabetes diagnosis is and emotional change of life.

6. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Welcome to the forums, though sorry for the diagnosis. There are a few of us on here who have children that were diagnosed as toddlers. My son was diagnosed at 13 months and just turned 3. These boards have been a wealth of information. While it is overwhelming at times, it also gets easier with time.

7. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Welcome but I am sorry you have to be here. Just as everyone has said before, this is truly the best place to be. Everyone I have been in contact with is just so helpful and kind. My daughter was diagnosed 5/19/11, she had just turned 13 years old on 5/3/11 and when she was diagnosed she said "this is not what I wanted for my birthday!". Those first few weeks were overwhelming! I was so stressed! So many here reassured me it would get better. When I read that it really made me feel better. I can say now almost 2 months into this diagnosis it has gotten to be our "new normal" and things have become routine. I am still grieving and that takes time but my daughter is doing very good!! So also had lost 10 lbs and had all the other symptoms of T1 D. Now she has gained the weight back and she just looks so much better then she was looking before diagnosis.

Hang in there because it will get better! In all of this mess make sure that you take care of yourself too!! Us mom's tend to take the burden on when there is a crisis and we forget to care for ourselves. One thing that has come out of this is learning to take better care of myself so I can take care of my family in a good way! Please come back here and vent or ask questions and share concerns, it is the best therapy!! Take care!!

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome:cwds: Im so sorry about your daughter's diagnosis. I know this is a scary time for you all right now. Take each day by itself and dont worry about the next one and be very patient with yourselves right now. Try to learn a little more each day and come back here often to ask questions or to just get support from people who understand your life now

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just wanted to say welcome and sorry you have to be here. It does feel overwhelming at first but as time goes on you will feel much more comfortable doing all the things you need to do to keep your child safe and healthy.

Here are some books for you to look at:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Balance-Diabetes-Nutrition/dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-Adolescents-Adults-Caregivers/dp/1569243964

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

10. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Welcome, and sorry for your daughter's diagnosis. My son has been living with T1 for over a year now - he was dx'd a few weeks before his 12th birthday. Be patient - with your daughter and with yourself! This is a huge life change, and there will be good days and there will be bad days. Give yourself permission to cry, and don't ever be afraid to come here for support. There are so many great people here who get what you are going through. This forum has been like a life-line for me, especially in those early days!

11. Aeagle

Aeagle Approved members

Thank You all so much for the helpful advice:). We live in N.C. I have two amazing kids and I think God everyday for them. It is very hard for us to deal with all of this. Our little girl is doing very good with the finger sticks and shots. Its like it does not even bother her anymore. It is really amazing how well she does. She is such a strong little girl. I think it has been harder for me and my hubby. We are not only trying to get use to the diabetes but also under going more test for our little girl right now. She is having some problems with her kidneys that may require surgery. She has been in the hospital three times in the past 4 mths. I just wish she could get a break:(. It is nice to know that I am not the only one going through all of this. I have really felt like it was just us. Thank you all again for shareing your stories and advice.

12. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2 too

My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2 also in November 0f 2009. He is now 4 1/2!
    Everything is so HARD at the beginning, but you have lots of support here and we are all constantly learning.

I live in S.C. What part of NC are you in? Send me a personal message if I can answer any question or concern. I remember that my son wanted to eat so much after he was feeling better, I stressed out about the number of carbs he was taking in. Also - the list of fREE foods the doctor gave me did NOT work for my son. He had lost all the way down to 29 pounds in the hospital - so NOTHING was free for him. We had to count everything except maybe sugar free jello.

Remember that this is a journey!