- advertisement -

Our first seizure

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vettechmomof2, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

(((hugs))) Allene! How scary for you both!

Kirsten

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Allene,

The 24 hours following the seizure are ripe for another event. Be watchful. I believe you are right to let her run higher (per instructions we received from our endo).

The headache and general crummy feeling are to be expected. I hope she perks up soon!

3. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Oh my gosh, my heart goes out to you.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

I second MamaC's headache and crummy feeling. And also the let her run higher - we were told between 150 and 200 and 200 - 250 for overnights for 6 days!

5. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I can't even imagine how scary a seizure is to witness and my heart goes out to parents every time I read about an episode. I hope she feels better soon and I'm so sorry you had to go through it.

6. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

So sorry you guys had to experience this.. It is very tough and scary when it happens.. And you want to freak out but then you remember you must stay in control.. Sounds like you did a great job of just that, staying in control!!

(((Hugs))) to the both of you!!

7. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Allene, so sorry this happened to you and your dd. Prayers and hugs.

8. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

We gave her a small amount of bolus for lunch, we normally cover 1:12 for carbs but instead did a 1:20 for carbs and did not correct for blood at all.
    She is now 62, that is with a free snack about 1.5 hours ago and only reading. I mean, can they really out put energy from reading about Robin Hood:rolleyes:. We gave up on doing her work for her 4-H today and I told her we are not going to dog 4-H obedience tonight as I want to keep her home but her basal is on a neg. basal and she is free choice eating. This is crazy. I hate it when she is sick. Her body is just evil to her at those times.

Those were the numbers that I was going to strive for, her endo is on board with everything and basically just told me to keep her calm for this week, yeah right, we are booked solid for 4-H events.

I haven't actually told her what happened yet, but in my defense she has not asked and does not remember anything before eating the crackers this am.

Thanks guys, oh and I have her free sipping gatorade as well.
    Oh boy!
    Allene

9. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Poor kiddo. It sounds like you did all the right things, it's just so crummy. Hugs to both of you.

10. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

This just breaks my heart...our kids shouldn't have to go through this. I am glad she doesn't remember.

It sounds like you have a pretty good gripe on how to respond...hats off to you.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

It was explained to us by our team that her body was deprived of glucose - the brain actually steals it form other body parts until there is so little left that it has a seizure becuase it is not getting enough. So now, the organs and muscles are 'stealing' the glucose back - which is causing the lows and which is why we were directed to run her higher.

Since my memory is so recent :mad: of this event, Coco was low the first day after each and then her bs stabilized again.

12. linda

linda Approved members

Lee gave a great explanation from her team! Do not underestimate the bodies reaction here! Em was hospitalized 2 days icu-running tests and stabalizing her sugar, every time they thought she was stable she would have another low. Her body has to 're-fuel' which can take a while.....dont be so concerned about highs now. What did your endo say? Just curious if you were thinking of having her checked out with the head hitting and all? You said she was complaining of still not feeling well?:(... hope you all are back to feeling well asap!

13. vettechmomof2

Right now endo is just monitoring us by phone and the head hitting really did not do anything other than startle her(luckily- it was at the top of our stairs),
    Right now we are just working on getting some high numbers. She actually hit 170 for about 1 hour but has been hovering around 70-110 and she is full. I have the okay to do a miniglucagon if she drops overnight or stays below 85 and cannot eat anything else.
    The tonsilitis is not helping with the ability to eat:(.
    Thanks everyone and thank you Lee for that great explanantion. I hope Coco is feeling better, did she have a memory of the event or does Tom have any memory of his seizures?

Thanks again everyone, she wants to go to bed right now so we are going up to read early!

14. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

Wow, so scary. I'm glad all is well now.

15. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Sometimes he remembers, eventually, what happened right before he went down; in the aftermath it usually takes him a day or two to recall the recovery (eating a lot, feeling sick, sleeping).

It's all a damn shame.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yes and no to remembering - she remembers what she heard people say after, like explanations at the hospital and stuff!

Do you have a temp basal set? I would set a 70% - we did it fore two days!

17. vettechmomof2

I am keeping her at almost no basal and I reduced her basal rates on top of that.
    She seems to be holding steady around 110-125, at least for the last 2 hours now. I have to go check her again in 20 minutes.
    Thanks again everyone!
    Allene

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

Phew - I now think that recovering from the seizure is almost harder then experiencing the seizure!

Good luck and you are doing a great job!

19. vettechmomof2

Update, down to 83. More gatorade and glucose tabs but she does not want to eat anything else right now. Will hold on the glucagon and recheck in 30 minutes.
    Oh boy, what a night!

20. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

OH Hon! those sensors can't come soon enough. I wish I lived nearby. I hope you get some sleep tonight. Take turns with BG checks so you don't get worn out. I hope you can get her over 100. :(