- advertisement -

Our first seizure

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vettechmomof2, Jul 27, 2009.

1. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I cannot wait for our cgms sensors to ship. We had our first seizure this am and I do not want to have another from her.
    THe poor girl is now feeling much better and the children are watching the Country Bears but this was a heartening moment.
    :(

2. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

Thankfully your kid is OK, that's all that matters!

Once the dust settles, could you pls share some info on your experience? Was it out of the blue? What was the BG reading? Did you use a gluco-shot?

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am in the same boat as you! I want the CGMS so bad! Was she really disoriented? I think that was the scariest for me - not knowing if she would be back to her normal crazy self or if this was going to be permanent!

Good luck!

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Allene,

So sorry to hear this. Seizures suck the wind right out of you.

5. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Glad she's okay now!! I bet that was scary!

6. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I am so sorry.

7. CButler

CButler Approved members

Oh, sorry Allene. What happened? How is she dealing with all this?

8. manic4titans

manic4titans Approved members

I am so sorry. when you are up to it please share.

9. Jessika

Jessika Approved members

Seizures are SO scary. Ayla had 2 last year, and I think it took years off my life! A CGMS would be amazing. So sorry you and your daughter had to go through that.

10. cpm122

cpm122 Approved members

I'm sorry this happened. Seizures are so scary. Hunter had his first (and so far only) on vacation july 2. He woke up with a bg of 59 (which is low but since he'd been between 25-85 about 80% of the time lately - endo was trying to correct his dose) I wasn't horribly concerned w/ 59. After all, he'd been way lower and hadn't had a seizure. I check 15 min. later and he was 49, treated again and when I went to check again he had the seizure. He lurched out of my arms and hit his head on the table and spent the next 1/2 hour alternating between being totally stiff and screaming and laying completely still and out of it (but conscious) I was eventually able to check and his bg was 56 (on its way back up.) Luckily I have a cousin who's a doctor and she stayed w/ us while we called 911. We ended up being in the hospital from about 9am until 3pm. He didn't really start to come out of it until a bit past noon (although by the time the ambulance got us to the hospital he was at 96 bg.) I was totally freaked out but Hunter took it pretty well considering. In fact on the ride back to the hotel from the hospital he wanted to know if you could go downtown with his cousins as soon as we got back. Uhhh, no!

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

Years is an appropriate term!

12. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Allene,

Words can't say how sorry I am.
    I am so sorry.

I am thinking of you both today. (( hug)) her for me. I am glad she is ok now.
    Betty

13. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Allene, so sorry to hear that; how frightening for you all. I h ope she's better now. ((HUGS))

14. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Wow, this is scary. Did you give him glucagon when he seized?

15. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope your CGMS comes soon.

16. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Allene, I was just emailing you when I checked the board and saw this. I'm so sorry!!! Check your email and let me know...I'm here all day and can go to the post office anytime. ((HUGS))

17. cpm122

cpm122 Approved members

No -stupid me. I honestly didn't even think seizure when it was going on. He's had some real low # in the am and then been nauseous so I thought the crying, screaming, etc was a combo of needing to throw up and banging his head on the table. I was able to give him cakemate after the seizure started (he would scream and stiffen and then lay quiet and then do it all over again - so I gave it to him during one of his quiet moments). I would definitely go straight to the glucagon next time. I couldn't even think straight when it was happening (and through it all my 11 year old was standing in the bathroom door w/ one of his 1 yr old sisters in his arms crying because she wanted mommy - ugghhh!)

18. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Oh I am sooo sorry! How terrifying :(. Big hugs to you, Allene!!

19. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

She ran low all day yesterday and last night even giving lots of food so I had her on a temp basal all day and night and basically free fed (no actual boluses for any food taken in)but she still dropped more and I last checked her at 2am gave more Gatorade and glucose tablets and figured she would be alright but at wake up she was 41(5 hours later). Gave a glucose tablet, she was real sleepy so I let her go for about 10 minutes and came to recheck her, she was 51 and twitching really bad, spacey, fixed and dilated pupils and could not speak. I got more Gatorade into her and another glucose tablet as I could get her to chew but then she physically seized. It lasted for 38 seconds. I wanted to get her downstairs(Aafter her seizure not during) but she was fighting me not to help her,
    still unable to speak though and very confused. She tripped and hit her head on the wall. Then she let me help her(I would have anyway at that point even if she fought me). It was not a fun morning.

THen we managed to get some pb crackers in to her and let her watch a movie because very quickly while oddly eating the crackers she "woke" up and was talking like an almost 10 year old girl always talks A LOT!.

I have now only been bolusing for food intake and not blood corrections at all but she has a horrible headache and keeps having random bouts of feeling terrrrrrible(her words).

We did not use glucagon because I was at that point still able to see her chew and eat. If she would have seized first then I would have used the glucagon.

NOw, we are sitting around trying to work on 4-H book work but she feels so bad that she is taking a break. I am going to try and run her higher for a few days now.

Thanks everyone for well wishes.
    Allene

20. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm so sorry. :( I hope she's feeling better soon.