- advertisement -

Our first fair experience. How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buckmarko, Jul 28, 2012.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi, I havent read every single post, but just wanted to say when we were in Disney World, we thought for sure my son would "go low" but quite the opposite happened... He never dropped low at all, he was in the 200's at pretty much every check and even higher at some points... I really think it was the heat (100 and SUNNNY) and excitement adrenaline... We thought we'd have to lower the Lantus, but nope, we didnt need to. We corrected a lot. He is MDI. At one point, after dinner, I realized I left his pen needles at the hotel so we had to run to First Aid to get a syringe to extract insulin from the pen:eek:! We used the pen for in the parks and vials for other times (he doesnt care for the pen too much so we only use it when it's more convenient).

Kathy

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son generally uses a syringe for corrections when over 200/250, he feels it does bring him down more quickly. Shots have never bothered him, so he uses syringes a lot even though he's on pump.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think that once upon a time we might have been unable to change a site without making a production of it, but at some point you get to where you could change a site on a roller coaster if need be. It would take me far longer to draw up a syringe than to do a full, cartridge/site change.

I still think the "give a shot to correct" is an old wives tale from when pumping was new and infusion sets perhaps not so reliable, so we've just ignored it. ;) It takes forever for the medical profession to stop espousing old, out dated information.

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

Suspect you are right. I was just guessing at the possible reasons:pand may be way off.:)ali

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well, for us it is sometimes the only way to bring him down in a timely manner. When we do pod changes he has a tendency to run higher than normal for a few hours, even with a correction bolus. Not always, but sometimes. So if we were to simply do the pod change with correction we'd still be stuck in "high-land" for a few hours. Using the syringe brings him into range much quicker. YDMV....... :cwds:

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think the Pods are more prone to this than regular infusion sets. No scientific evidence to back this up, but I've seen quite a few other people post that they need to "kick-start" them when they change pods.

Frankly, part of the reason I never break out the syringe is that Jack would Freak. Out. totally if I gave him a shot. We'd do it if we had to, but it's never been necessary that I can recall.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Well, I can say that I prefer injections to bolusing through a new site for a correction due to a bad site for two reasons:

1) I know without any doubt that it's going to work. I ALWAYS correct over 300 with a syringe, even if I don't think the site is the problem.
    2) There's no risk of "saturating" the new site trying to fix a problem created by an old site... 99% of the time when I have a failed site it's because I get insulin leaking back out along the cannula. If I start bolusing aggressively into a new site, I can set up a pattern where I'll have sites repeatedly fail in less than 24 hours... it's frustrating and I end up wasting a bunch of sites needlessly. A syringe is about 12?, a site is about $12, so that's kind of an easy choice to make.

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I wonder about this a lot when I hear of people giving injections rather than correcting through the pump. His endo, who is very pro pump and extremely knowlegable about them, pretty much says the same thing you have. I generally know as well if a high is because of something I did or food...or a bad site. If it's a bad site, I too feel I can change a site faster than draw up a syringe;)...which I have not done in years. I never did understand how an injection could get the insulin there quicker than the pump if the pump and site are working correctly. We've not done an injection since we started on the pump. My niece, who was dx as an adult and who got a pump right there in the hospital...I believe has NEVER had an injection since dx.

To the OP, you mention how it feels like D steals freedom...well, you actually prove otherwise to your child by taking him places like the fair and doing it despite difficult BG numbers. You are showing him that s/he (sorry, didn't see if you have a daughter or son) can and will still enjoy all life has to offer even with D along for the ride. Sounds like you did a great job.:) And I totally agree with the posters who said you can't expect perfection...or sometimes even good numbers during these days. I've learned to try my best, but kind of expect the worst on these days.:rolleyes: May sound defeatist, but I am always so happily surprised when things work out and numbers are good...which DOES happen at times, too! You just have say WTH, correct, and let your child enjoy the day!:) Which you did...congrats!