- advertisement -

Our 3rd child...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Rcj176, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

So it seems our 3rd child will be diagnosed with diabetes on Monday :(
    We got a call from the TrialNet that Emily tested positive with the GAD65 antibody. I initially missed the call and then began to freak out that they placed a call in to me instead of the normal letter we have received 3 times before.

Ok, so we get over the shock of having a positive antibody (which by the way the other 2 children that HAVE diabetes didn't test positive). I got to thinking, well out of curiosity, what are her fasting numbers? I give her an extra meter, she is 10 years old, and we start checking numbers. Then I figured, well before I call the pedi endo I need to know what her A1c is. We do that and her number comes back higher than Jesse and Elizabeth Anne's. Her A1c was 5.5. Granted this is a fairly good number, but I think we have caught another child at the very beginning. Jesse and Elizabeth Anne were diagnosed at 5.1 and 5.2. And I was diagnosed with a 4.8. Then she starts telling me about how she gets up and pees alot and how she is always thirsty. I guess I just didn't want to see those things and didn't expect to get another diagnosis in the family. But yeah, I see it now.
    The pediatrician's office called yesterday and said they tried to get a consult to the pedi endo for us for Emily and they said that she didn't meet their criteria. lol. there is criteria for a family with 3 already diagnosed, really?!? That's ok, I will take care of this. I sent an email down to the endo explaining everything to which she apologized and said of course there is an exception for Emily. So we have an appt on Monday at Vandy during the same appointment block that Jesse and Elizabeth Anne already had. She sees the pedi endo, dietician, CDE and the nurse practitioner all in this afternoon.

3 kids, really?!?
    for those on facebook, my apologies since I know you have seen all of this unfold.

2. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Just want to send hugs your way. Sorry you and your family have to deal with this again!!!

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh Regge:( I cant tell you how sorry I am about this. There is someone else on the forums with 3 children with d. I think she goes by the name of "Triple threat" hopefully she will see this and you 2 can talk. I will be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts. I hope it wont happen:(

4. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Sorry this is happening again in your family. Hugs to Emily.:cwds:

5. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

Regge, I am so sorry that you are dealing with this :( Poor Emily how is she taking it?? I was just on FB and saw the picture of Elizabeth Anne showing her how to change lancets. She is a lucky girl to have her sister take the time to show her. She has great support and I am sure she knows it.

6. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

I'm wishing you a smooth transition for the family and for you as mom. It must be difficult.
    Last night my DD taunted my non-d DS with "maybe you have diabetes" after he finished a big drink. Sad to think about. Sadder this morning when he told me he had to pee one more time before school. Not knowing stinks. Knowing must stink, too. I'm really sorry to hear your news.

7. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Hugs! I am thinking of you guys.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

I did read this on FB, and my heart was breaking for you...I am so sorry that you and your family are facing this yet again.

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm so sorry, thats just heartbreaking. Glad the endo is getting her in on Monday.

10. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Thinking about you all, Regge. :(

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this. Thinking of you all.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

So sorry. Hugs

13. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

Oh yeah! I remember talking to her awhile back.

14. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Regge, I'm so sorry. :(

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am so sorry to hear about Emily. I know already having D yourself and two other children with D doesn't make it any easier. In fact it is something we all hate to see happening.
    There have been other parents on this forum with 3 kids with D. Hopefully they will pop in and say hi and you can talk with them.
    You hang in there. We are all here for you.
    (((HUGS)))

16. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I'm so sorry:(:(:(:(:(

17. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

So sorry.

This renews the fact that we need continued research for prevention and a cure.

18. shekov

shekov Approved members

So sorry to hear the news. How is she handling it? Must be scary for her.

19. kallygirl

kallygirl Approved members

Sending love and prayers your way!

20. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

Wow that's a lot. Good luck with the appointment. Before reading it all I was curious why just the positive for GAD65 would mean dx, then I read it all. My oldest daughter has been positive for GAD65 and IAA and somethign else for a few years now (2-3 I can't seem to remember exactly) but has not had symptoms. Her A1C at last check was 4.9 and that was a few years ago. She opted out of any more trialnet stuff over a year ago.
    Good luck with everything.