- advertisement -

Other medical issues........

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Emmasmommy, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Emmasmommy

Emmasmommy Approved members

Well its been just over 4 years since my baby was dx Emma is now 5 and what a long 4 years this has been. Just a question for some of you with other children. Since Emma was dx we have found that we have many children with diffrent issues and they are starting to say that alot can be tied to Type one Diabetes. Emma is not just a type one but she was also born with club feet. Our 6 year old has Autisum and milk protien allergy, our 4 year old has congenital heart issues and had a stroke (CP) and our 3 year old son has all the genitic markers for Diabetes and is followed as ppart of a study. And now my littlest man Ethan is 3 months old and has been dx with an immonodifancy (his Tcells dont work) and they are looking to lable it before they decided on if he will qualify for bone marrow transplant. They think it might be IPEX which will have an early on set of type one diabetes with other autoimmune disorders.

So here is my question they seem to think that all of these things one way or another can be tied back to genetics and diabetes. For anyone that has other children are they all healthy? does your little one with type one have other health issues?

Thanks
    Shawna

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Based on your situation it might be worth while getting your daughter tested for monogenic diabetes.

Did your son who is enrolled in the study or Emma ever test positive for any of the antibodies associated with autoimmune mediated diabetes ?

With monogenic diabetes they have identified a single defective gene that causes the illness.

It is interesting to note that there are several members of the board with identical twins, and only one of the twins has autoimmune diabetes so there are genetic and enviromental factors that contribute to the onset of autoimmune mediated diabetes.

3. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Time to read "The Autoimmune Epidemic"... I sure hope nothing else gets dumped on your plate. Bless your heart.

4. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

My son has a number of health issues...three chronic genetic (ichthyosis, bipolar and diabetic) and the rest are like nuisances. He also has a milk protein allergy that triggers asthma and skin rashes, ulcers, ear infections, he tested positive for tuberculosis; and lots of comorbid issues that come with bipolar, such as OCD and anxiety. He's also nearsighted and needs glasses.

Other than needing glasses too, I don't carry any of these conditions (except the ichthyosis, I'm a carrier of the gene that passes onto my boys) and in fact, hardly ever get sick.

My daughter has a different father. And she is very healthy. I remember around age 2, I looked at her and just started to worry because she hadn't been to the doctor since her last well baby visit.

I wish I had some insight, but it's a mystery to me. I don't know why my son got the "bad" genetic pool. But that was the way the cards were dealt.

C7

5. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Our nonD son is healthy. But I have a nephew with Alopecia which is another autoimmune disease. I hear that Autism could be autoimmune and I don't know about the other diseases you've listed but maybe some are autoimmune. I've heard that autoimmune issues tend to be genetic.

Oh....one neice was born with club feet....could that be autoimmune related??:confused:

6. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Dana, 10, only has T1 and is healthy otherwise.

Scottie, 17, is very healthy.

We are blessed.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Between myself and my four brothers we have a gazillion things.

Type 1 diabetes is known to be a part of a few autoimmune complexes, as well as to generally raise the risk of a lot of (but not all) autoimmune diseases.

The studies I have read about autism and diabetes have generally concluded that there is either no link or a very weak link.

However, there are a few conditions (such as Down Syndrome) in which both autism and type 1 diabetes are more common. These conditions account for a small subset of cases of type 1 diabetes.

8. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

Bless your heart honey, the stress that you and your family must be under.
    My dd only has diabetes (right now) Her thryoid levels are awful so that is just a matter of time before she is put on medicine for that.
    God says he would never put more on us than we can bear All I am saying is you must be very strong...

9. lhazc

lhazc Approved members

I had Graves disease in my early 20s, it is AI and no one else in our family had thyroid problems. Our daughter has multiple behavior issues including sensory issues, mood disorder, poor judgement and impulse control and although not formal dx with we have been told she has many 'autisum and OCD traits' just not severe enough for a dx. Our youngest had a milk protien allergy that was very severe for the first 15 mos of his life, even though he was breastfed, I couldn't eat ANYTHING with any form of dairy in it or he would pass blood in his stool from the inflamation of his colon. Now he handles milk fine. He is positive for the antibodies and we are told he is considered pre diabetes from his lab results.

10. Leslie

Leslie Approved members

We have a variety of issues here too - though they don't seem to be related. My oldest is healthy, with correctable vision issues. My 14yo is also healthy.

10yo - T1, colorblind, vision issues
    8yo - ADHD, several learning disabilities, colorblind, vision issues
    5yo - Sensory processing disorder, colorblind, vision issues including pressuer on the optic nerve for which they have thankfully ruled out brain tumors, but he is still being examined for the cause/issue
    3yo - Down syndrome, congenital heart defects

Hugs to you. You are managing a lot and it's hard having so many different diagnoses.

11. allisa

allisa Approved members

I do believe there is a link between environmental toxins and the increase in auto-immune diseases....and yes....I also think autism is an auto-immune disease. There is so much they do not understand or know about autism & I do think in a few years they will discover more about it & I will not be surprised at all to hear it is autoimmune.

I have 3 kids...the oldest is healthy.

Ty has Type 1 & was just dxd in October with Rheumatic Fever ( also an auto-immune disease & very rare for kids to get anymore)

My daughter Erin has Down syndrome ( just a fluke there...and a congetal heart defect ( common for kids with Down syndrome)....but.....she also has Autism.....

I think genetics play a strong role....and so I think anything auto-immune will show up through genetics & if your system is in "overdrive"...then yes....makes sense that more & more can "go wrong"....

But.....

at same time....I think we need to ask....why are there so many bodies & systems in overdrive....what is causing these immune systems to overreact on such a high level ? Isn't it ODD that autism numbers are sky-high and diabetes, etc on the rise ? There is a trigger.....

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Wanted to send you big hugs!! You've got a lot on your plate.:(

Over here, my kid with D doesn't have any other illnesses for the moment, but he was born with a physical abnormality which is the pits to tell you the truth. Was treated for it when he was 8 months old til 1 year old and it still is not fully resolved.:( He also has developed a cyst of the thyroglossal duct, for which he will be operated in February. So, no real illnesses, just abnormalities, kwim?

My youngest can't drink cow milk. A few sips and he has diarrhea for the whole day. Ped. thinks he may be allergic to other stuff and may have asthma. Still need to test that.

Funnily enough, my kid with D is the healthier one of the bunch.:rolleyes:

DH and I have our own set of problems.

13. cpm122

cpm122 Approved members

My oldest has ADHD but is healthy, Hunter has T1 and no other issues. My next boy has no health issues and the twins (girls 21 months) have no health issues. All were tested in october and were negative for antibodies. You must be a very strong woman...God Bless and lots of hugs!!!

14. lynnh

lynnh Approved members

In our family I am adopted and know no family medical history. I have hypothyroidism for 15 yrs. My oldest has T1 and antibodies for thyroid, 2 healthy kids (so far) and then my youngest has T1. I agree with the other posters- God bless you for all you have going on! I will pray for you and your family!

15. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

17 yr old non-D daughter has a different father. She has VWD (von willebrands, type 2A). Controlled by meditation and lavender. She takes iron pills when needed for anemia, used to be severe but getting up to normal after 6 yrs of this, thank God. She can now keep her blood levels up with potassium rich foods! She loves to write, sing, and dance, and these help her to not blow a gasket and start bleeding like jesus christ.

13 yr old daughter non-D, has asthma. Requires 2 inhalers and singulair.

10 yr old son non-D, has Aspergers, mildly. Its something on the autism strain that makes him sometimes very hard to live with. Its managed by diet and relaxation exercises. He loves walking labyrinths, solving physical problems, and art.

Kat has T1D and nothing else to our knowledge.

I was dx'ed with Lupus in 2001 not long after Kat was born. Also cervical cancer that year, 2001 sucked for me lol. :rolleyes: But anyways, I was the first person in my family to have Lupus, and I find it easy to manage with stress control, diet, and staying warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Also wearing long sleeves, hats, and jeans in the sun is a must because tanning (which means burning, there is no tanning for me) causes flare ups.

Kat has cousins with asthma (and blood sugars in the 200's who are undx'ed).

16. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Our oldest is nearsighted in one eye , farsighted and lazy eye in the other. She also has a hearing problem in one ear. She has an extreme peanut allergy and some other moderate food allergies.

Next daughter has never had any health problems.

Joseph had strep for times in a row when he was six and had his tonsills removed. He has seasonal breathing issues but not quite asthma and diabetes. No other problems.

17. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

My son, 14, has T1D.

My daughter, 10, has CP and ???? Something else going on, we are systematically checking her out, this coming week will be her pituitary gland.

18. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

Will was diagnosed at age 6--born with a hole in his heart (VSD) and now has had to be vaccinated again because of a lack of immunity to a couple of things.

Daniel--12 yo--healthy--mild asthma--getting better every year

Nothing major......

19. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

How interesting....

Clare- 18- severe peanut allergy (anaphylactic), no other allergies or issues...

Greg- colobomas in both eyes. Visually impaired. Extremely reduced field of vision. Otherwise healthy as an OX!

Emmalene.... nothing until this spring. Diagnosed with Diabetes....