- advertisement -

Other Health Impaired and IEP

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by doratheexplora, Dec 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. doratheexplora

doratheexplora Approved members

Hey! Got some help from you guys with questions regarding IEP versus 504. Have another one!

If my son has an IEP does he still need to have the OHI status on the IEP for the Type I?

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

If your child's IEP is for another issue besides diabetes and the other issue is "resolved" so that the child no longer needs the IEP - then you will need to go back and ask for a 504 for diabetes. I think the school would need to find the child's diabetes causes a significant issue with learning to get the OHI.

For example my son had a 504 - then got an IEP for speech therapy for part of the year. All of the 504 accommodations were rolled into the IEP. When speech was done - the IEP ended and they put the 504 back in place.

If your child has OHI for diabetes then he will continue with the IEP regardless of the other issue for which he has the IEP.

As for your other post on them not including the diabetes info in the IEP - or what they are calling it - it doesn't matter what they call it. Technically it isn't a "504" if it is in the IEP. You could say the "health plan" is attached to the IEP or the "diabetes plan" or whatever. However the diabetes accommodations should be in the IEP in some form or another regardless of how it is labeled.

At our school the health plan is essentially the "doctor's orders" and the 504 is everything else - and both were attached to the IEP. The 504 accommodations were just attached as "see additional accommodations" sort of thing.

3. doratheexplora

doratheexplora Approved members

Thank you! Finally makes sense! :) This is the best explanation I've heard since this whole mess started! Thanks again!

4. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

My daughter has just started receiving special ed services under OHI because of her diabetes. We strongly believe that my daughter has dsygraphia, which is a written language arts disability, but because she is not regressing with the interventions that they have set up for her the school could not allow special ed services. They do feel that her diabetes, with the lows and highs that she is having during the day and the amount of time she is zoning in and out, is interfering with her education and therefore they found her eligible for special ed service under the OHI. She also has a speech and language disabilility as well. So her IEP's goals and objectives are for her speech and her dsygraphia. Before this we had a 504 plan that took care of just her diabetes.