- advertisement -

OT Sleep deprivation

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joy orz, Feb 25, 2008.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Hi all. So many of you are testing through the night... how do you deal with the sleep deprivation? I'M EXHAUSTED! We're still in honeymoon, ha, ha. and have frequent lows in the night so we test at midnight and 4 am.

How do you guys do it and live like a non zombie throughout the day?

2. Boo

Boo Approved members

I am fortunate in that I can usually fall back asleep pretty easily. I used to have trouble with the sleep deprivation, and often cursed the nights that I had to get up and test (bad numbers; unusual schedules; increased activity...seemed like it was almost every night). When my son started pumping last May, I made the conscious CHOICE that this was something that I wanted to do. It was a relatively easy way for me to have better control over his numbers for a long period of time. Since I've come to look at it that way, as opposed to something that I was forced to do, it has honestly been much easier for me, and I don't resent it anymore. It is just my life now...part of my routine.

That said, if I worked outside the home, I may feel quite differently about it. I can sleep in until 6:30-7:00 each morning, and if I'm REALLY tired, I could usually fit a nap into any given day (though that seldom happens). Some kids don't need to be checked every night, so you just need to figure out what is best for you. My son is just beginning puberty, often has erractic activity levels (soccer game evenings vs. computer evenings), and can down huge amounts of food for dinner....so it makes me happy to know that I can easily correct for highs/lows if I test regularly at night. Someday down the line, that might no longer be the logical option for us (ex. college)...but I'll do it for now, in hopes that it will keep his health better for longer.

3. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I try to set an alarm if Julia needs tested through the night for whatever reason, and then go back to sleep after. I normally check at my bedtime, and if everything has been normal and she has a good bg I don't test the rest of the night.

Though I have to say that I was a once in a very great while coffee drinker before Julia's dx. Now I drink it like water, and am addicted.

A lot of parents of D kids suffer from sleep issues, and depression as well. Try and take care of yourself. This is a long journey, and you need your strength, so if you have time to get a nap in (I know, who has time for a nap?), do it - if you can set an alarm and go back to sleep, do it. We just do what we can and take it number by number and day by day.

Take care, Jamie

4. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I'm a night owl, so my biggest problem is actually getting myself into bed...I just love the night hours when the whole house is quiet!! I check Mia around midnight, often don't go to bed till past 1am, then check her again around 3am, and then I get up at 6:30am to start my day! The interruptions are the worst!! I feel like amillion bucks once I get 5 hrs in one go LOL. I get to make up for some of my sleep debt on the weekends when my hubby lets me sleep in till at least 8 or 9am. And then there is always coffee.... Overall, I don't need (or get) a whole lot of sleep but at least my sleep habits are consistant, which really helps a lot!!

5. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I don't think sleep deprivation is off topic at all! I find my body has adjusted to getting up during the night so that most of the time I am pretty functional. But I have no reserves so if I am up more than normal or get sick myself I am wiped out pretty quickly.

Joy--I see you are in Boston. I am just north of Boston myself. I have a support group for families in New England. Check my signature for the link.

6. Traci

Traci Approved members

I just wanted you to know that you are soooooo not alone. Ds6 has been pumping for almost a year now and I still check him at midnight and 2 or 3 am. It was very hard at first, then seemed to get better, and now it is hard for me again. I am so tired that I am crying as I type this.

DH and I usually go to bed around 10:30. I'm up again 1.5 hrs later then two hrs later, then up for the day at 6am. Because I have to go up the stairs to check my son, I really have trouble going back to sleep. Dh is the breadwinner, so he doesn't get up. I don't work, but I take care of the house, cook, etc. and volunteer at the kids school four days a week. We also have three other children. I'm really just so tired, too. It's hard. I don't have any answers for you, but I'm right there with you!

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Would it be possible to test at 11:00 at 3:00 instead? That way, you could go to bed right after the 11:00 check, and only have to get up once. Also, my husband and I trade off getting up with the kids (whether for BS checks or non-D related stuff), and it really helps.

ETA: I don't know why a husband who works outside the home gets a pass on this sort of stuff. Each to their own, but SAHMs have to be able to function just like working dads. I "only" work part-time, but my husband and I share night duties equally.

8. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I usually make all the kids take a 2-3 hour nap on Sunday afternoons right after lunch. I take a nap too to catch up on sleep for the week. Sounds crazy but it helps me.

9. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Sleep deprivation

The trouble is Ava's just a toddler, so she eats dinner at about 7, then is down for the count for 11 hours. We just can't find any carbs that keep her level that long. She usually runs high after dinner and may need a correction, or drops like a stone sometime between 3 and 7. We've adjusted her lantus, tried the cornstarch trick.... It's just the land of walking zombies. Precious petunia, on the other hand, sleeps through the tests and will sleep guzzle a nice bottle at 2 am. Then she bounces around like TIGGER all day. ZOINKS. Chai is my best friend, but man what I wouldn't do for one night of sleep. My other problem is I'm just plain wound tight as a drum. My hubby takes his fair share of nighttime testing, but I'm still so anxious that I wake up to see what her number is anyway.

Sorry, that I'm not the only one. We should have a slumber party where all the exausted parents get to sleep, while the kids stay up all night.

10. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

I test Trey about 11:30 then dh comes in from work and test around 2to 2:30. On the nights dh is home I get up and test at that time. I don't have any other answers at this time for this. I can't sleep w/ out testing anyway. I won't rest! I wake up at 5:30 during the week so I'm not getting alot of extra time. I always wake up to see what the # when dh test.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I actually think it's easier for me than some, because we have a baby, so I'm used to sleep deprivation. Some of you guys have been used to getting good sleep for a while - I think that would be even worse!

12. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

Theres a recipe I found on here awhile ago for nighttime peanutbutter balls. They have peanutbutter, ricekrispies,cornstarch,chocolate chips and some other stuff in them and they work like a charm to hold numbers through the night. I'll look again in the AM and try to find the exact recipe for ya.

The sleep deprivation turned into insomnia for me I had to take a med for a bit to help me get to sleep but not put me to sleep. I have since made watching Caynun for an hour in the afternoons a job for my Dd I get some extra sleep and she gets money for Fri night movies with her friends.

13. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

My Dh and I work full time jobs out of financial necessity. Actually DH works two job. hes gets home from his day job just in time to pick up Deanna from school, drop her off at home, then goes to his night time job and gets home between 7 and 9. So I do all the night time checks. Our older DD will sometimes pick up deanna from school so hubby can get home and rest for an hour but she is an officer in the National Honors Club so most days she is still at school past 4 pm. I work from 8 am till 5 pm 5 days a week. we are a year and a half into this and I thought living like a zombie was part of the package!!:cool: sleep deprivation is just my new normal, you get used to it sorta, mostly you just try to catch up on sleep when you can, for me its on Sat mornings. Ill sleep until 9 or 10!!:D I will say that my appearance has changed a lot since DX I used to wear makeup, my hair was always perfect, now..i look 10 years older seriously I do, I will attempt to put makeup on once i get to work, and I wear my hair shorter so its easear to manage.