- advertisement -

OT - Delayed Allergic Reactions

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mikker, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Has anyone heard of, or had experience with delayed allergic reactions to medications?

#3 son was on antibiotics and took the full course (10 days) with no adverse reaction. Approximately 4 days after the last dose, he developed a serious case of hives. Thinking that it might have been food related, I let it go for a couple of days, but it gradually grew worse and started soft tissue swelling... eye lids, lip, etc, so I took him in to his Dr. Wasn't at all impressed with the on-call's bed side manner, but he told us that it was probably a delayed allergic reaction to the antibiotics.

I know that angioedema, analphylaxis and the like typically occurs within minutes of the introduction of a medication, and I've heard of dermatologic allergic reactions being delayed 3-5 days due to metabolites, but I've never heard of a hives (mildest and most immediate response.. as far as I know) reaction 4-5 days post a 10 day regime.

Has anyone ever experienced this before or was the on-call blowing smoke? The end result: He put him on a 5 day prednisone regime, which I was fine with, and cleared him right up, but I don't know if we should accept the on-calls dx or still be looking at other allergen triggers.

2. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

These are the exact reactions I had from eating food (spicy salsa and another time spicy pepperoni pizza) beginning within minutes to hours from ingestion. I also can have itchiness on palms of my hands.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

My older (non-D) son had a reaction to antibiotics (penicillin) when he was around 2 years old. He actually was on the 10th day and had taken it in the morning and hours later developed hives all over. We took him in that day and they told us it was a reaction to penicillin and he should never take it again (we weren't prescribed prednisone, etc. but he had huge whelts all over his body but no facial swelling, etc).

I would consult an allergist or his regular pedi. It does seem odd but I'm not sure it is impossible. My DH kept having a recurring allergic reaction one day (many, many, many years ago) - with full body hives coming and going - and it never happened again. He never figured out what caused it nor did it happen again.

4. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

My husband is allergic to cilantro, but the reaction doesnt show up for days. His face swells and turns bright red and gets really hot, like he has a serious sunburn or fever, even his ears swell, something I never thought possible, and when the swelling goes down, his skin peels like crazy. His throat doesnt swell and he doesnt get hives, but he was told the more often he eats it, the worse the reaction will get and just because his throat hasnt swelled so far it doesnt mean it wont ever. He avoids all homemade salsas and anything that might even possibly have cilantro in it, but on occasion he still manages to find some.

5. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

My daughter had the same thing happen a couple of days after she finished her antibiotics. It wasn't severe, though - we just gave her benadryl and it was gone in a couple of days.

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I will suggest you contact an allergist. Confirming an antibiotic allergy can be tricky.

Wanted to share a story with you---
    Sam's friend went through something similar to which you describe. Took him to the allergist thinking antibiotic allergy. Long story short, the illness, which required antibiotics, triggered a nut allergy.
    I was with the boy in March that year and took him to a restaurant with peanuts on the tables, floors, etc and he was fine. Had the rxn in April and at the end of April went to the same restaurant at night, when they don't have the nuts out, and experienced a migraine within minutes of going in there. This boy's dad has type 1, so autoimmune issues run in the family.

Here's the interesting part---That was when the boys were in 1st grade, they are now in 5th and the kid has outgrown the nut allergies:eek:

With crazy immune issues, anything is possible. I hope you have a great allergist.

7. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

WHAT???!!! Are you saying the child outgrew a PEANUT allergy? I've never heard of that! Two of my kids are anaphylactic to peanuts and I was told they would never outgrow that one.

I have had a delayed anaphylactic reaction to pain medication that was given after surgery - just last week and had to go to the ER where they gave steriod shots & benedryl. I was told that the meds build up over time so that's why it took a while to have the reaction.

8. Diana

Diana Approved members

We were told that there is up to a 20% chance of outgrowing a peanut allergy depending on a number of factors. I can't remember them all - but a few of them were no accompanying asthma and no accidental exposures after the initial exposure. Seems like there were a few more that I just can't come up with though.

Of course, this was 7 years ago, and the conventional wisdom probably has changed. Our allergist continues to reassure me that there is still hope of my son outgrowing his peanut allergy (he outgrew a dairy allergy). Personally, I'm holding out more hope for some kind of desensitization therapy.

9. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

yes, this kid outgrew the peanut allergy:eek::eek:
    He never had the anaphalactic reaction, but did have hives. He completely avoided them, but the parents didn't have the class become peanut free, but Z never had them after the dx. He eats it now though with no problems.

I would never suggest anyone "test" their kid without drs supervision though, too dangerous!!

I happen to go to the same allergist, so I asked them. They said that they will retest on kids who have never had an ana reaction and while not common, it can happen. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself!! I asked the mom what made her decide to do that and she said that the dr just tested, she is not the type to give her kid who is allergic the food to "see what happens"

I was told by my allergist that your body can "reset" itself after complete avoidance of the allergic substance, however not likely with nuts. Personally I was not allergic to eggs, then became allergic and avoided them, but started craving them when pregnant with Natalie. I'm able to eat them now, but if I eat too much, I feel it.

10. buggle

buggle Approved members

I don't know about antibiotic allergies, because our experience has always been to react while on them.

But I have what's called late-phase asthma. I'm severely allergic to cats. If I'm around a cat and have an asthma attack, after I leave the cat situation, I recover after a few hours. But then 9-11 hours later, I'll have a rebound and have an asthma attack again, sometimes worse that the initial one. I made quite a bit of money while I was in grad school being a medical research subject for testing of a new drug for late phase. :p

Oh, Mik, just looked this up -- try searching for "serum sickness."

Wow... who knew?

11. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Wow! Thanks for the info. I guess there is always hope, right? Although, both my peanut kids do have asthma only one of them (my oldest son) has been exposed to peanuts & had the reaction. That's how we discovered his allergy to peanuts. BUT, although her allergy is more severe, Katie Jane has never had peanuts so.......maybe there's hope for eventually outgrowing it. I, also, would count more on de-sensitization though.

My twins both had egg, wheat, milk allergies but only one had the peanut allergy. My son outgrew all of them by age 3 but Katie Jane couldn't have milk until she was 8 yrs. old. and is still allergic to eggs, (no flu shot for her!) but the egg allergy has gradually lessened over the years and is no longer analphylactic. We test her for peanuts every single time she is re-tested for allergies (about every two years) and the peanut allergy has never changed in it's severity like the other food allergies did.

Back to the OP.....I forgot to tell you that my husband, suddenly as an adult, developed anaphylactic allergies to almost every antibiotic out there. We have no idea what brought this on as he had taken the same antibiotics numerous times before with no problems.

When I had my very delayed reaction last week, along with the throat swelling and trouble swallowing, I also had VERY sore muscles - everywhere! Even my hands and fingers hurt. Every muscle in my body hurt. It was really weird.

12. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I had a delayed reaction to sulfa a number of years ago. I was on day 7 of a 10 day script and I broke out in hives. My skin was red and hot to the touch, very itchy and sensitive . The doc said it was a sulfa allergy, took me off the drugs and told me to take benedryl and stay out of the sun. We were in Florida on vacation :(

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This is of course only my opinion but I think its possible that after taking antibiotics it can cause such a immune response that it can make people allergic to things that didnt bother them before. It may be temporary but I think its plausible

14. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I recently had a whole body rash from sulfa drugs. :eek: That was after getting really sick to my stomach and horrible headache. I had already stopped the antibiotics.