- advertisement -

OT: Anyone in Manhattan right now?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by dragonfly, Nov 3, 2012.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

I'm scheduled to fly to New York on Friday. My traveling partner thinks we shouldn't go.

Is it really that bad there? Are the taxi's running from the airports?

We don't ride the subway. We stick to times square/central park/museums and such.

2. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

I'm not in NY right now, thank goodness. I think Central Park is still closed. If you absolutely must go I'd suggest double or triple checking your hotel reservations - there are still a whole lot of NYers filling up hotel rooms who are not going to be moving out anytime soon. But some shows are now running, and some museums are open. Ellis Island is closed as are a lot of other attractions. No double decker buses and with the subways out, taxis are going to be hard to grab.

3. dragonfly

The hotel assured us that they are fine and they are located far from the power outages.

I know the museums and broadway are up and going.

It's the transportation issues I'm worried about.

4. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Not in NY, but I know from the news that there are huge gas shortages in NY and NJ...so I'm guessing that is affecting taxis just like everyone else. People have been waiting in lines up to 6 to 8 hours to get gas. Heard this morning that more gas is on the way...perhaps things will be more normal by Friday. I'd just keep your eye on the news...things still seem like they're in bad shape for many people. Even here in PA, my mom just got her power back yesterday, and my sister is not due to get hers back until the middle of next week.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'm surprised there are hotels with rooms available. There has been a lot of reporting about runners coming for the marathon and there was no place to put them as the hotels are full and not willing to kick out those displaced by the storm. One story I read said the only hotel with rooms available was one without power - and that was yesterday.

I read the accuweather weather forums - you might go there and post as there are a lot of people from the NYC area who post there.

Also note that models are showing a nor'easter hitting the same area on Wednesday. If that happens - I would not want to take the chance of being in NYC. If you decide to go keep an eye on that storm beforehand.

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

How did your trip turn out? Did you end up going?

7. dragonfly

We did go and had a blast. Taxi's were not an issue. I did see a lot of branches down in Central Park and them trimming trees, but none of it was on the paths.

Broadway, once again, never fails to be the best.

We stayed at the Casablanca. Fabulous hotel with great staff. When we go again, this is my hotel of choice.