- advertisement -

Organizing "Diabetes World"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Emilyk1054, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Emilyk1054

Emilyk1054 Approved members

I'm over it...

We finally took the plunge and bought a house about 2 months ago. We're all moved in, for the most part.
    Before we had a nice apartment that had AMAZING storage space. In our pantry we had about 4 shelves dubbed "Diabetes World". It's just what we always called it, in a joking way. It was perfect. Everything had its place. I was so proud I even posted pictures of it on facebook once. :eek:

Well, in this new home I'm stumped. There is no huge pantry, only cabinets that seemed to be packed full as is.
    Right now there are 2 garbage bags under an end table by the couch full of our supplies. Whenever its time for a site change I'm going over and grabbing what I need and throwing everything back.
    This obviously isn't going to work. I have no idea of how much I have. I know it was time to order supplies 2 weeks ago but I keep forgetting bc I'm not seeing the supplies every day, as I was before.

Any who... my question is how do you all keep everything organized??? Where do you keep your supplies?

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Most of it is in a big box in my bedroom.. but I am a terribly disorganised person. Well actually no I'm not (yes I am) . I could probably lay my hands on any Diabetes product within 30 seconds if I needed it BUT if I had to explain to someone else how to find them - it would be a disaster. :eek:

Maybe you could get some stackable plastic containers, I think they go right up to 60 litres and come in many shapes. (I think I need some) :cwds:

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I keep everything in our upstairs bathroom closet, in one of those large rolling cart of drawers. I keep things I need asap (strips, insulin etc) in a small cabinet in the kitchen, and replenish from upstairs as needed. Set changes usually happen upstairs, so I just keep all that stuff there.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

For years we used the small linen closet outside our downstairs bath. About a year ago, I cleaned out the top drawer of the secretary and arranged everything in there. For things we had an overabundance of (like diabetes bags and meters), I used stackable plastic containers and put them on top the secretary. It sits in our dining room so everything is really convenient.

5. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

We keep our family's diabetes supplies in a 3-drawer plastic container on top of our kitchen counter (in the corner). It has everything that Brian and Connor might need on a regular basis. Their insulin is in the fridge in the deli drawer. I periodically replenish the supplies for the 3-drawer container with items from our long-term storage. I keep those items in a clear plastic tub in the closet. I have a binder on our bookshelf with paperwork related to Connor's school health plan and 504, plus all of his medical records from appointments.

Of course, we still have random stockpiling of boxes of long needles from 1995 and other things that my husband insists on using up (for himself) instead of replacing them with newer technology. :rolleyes:

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The stuff we use day in day out is in a drawer in the kitchen. All the extra stuff, the old pump bits and extra meters and odd stuff in a large plastic tub in the downstairs closet.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This is pretty well what we do, I have a 3 drawer container that is in our school room with all daily supplies. I have a larger tub upstairs with excess/bigger boxes, etc. He uses the daily and I replenish periodically. On top of the 3 drawer system I have a basket with glucose tabs/liquid and glucagon.

I have a small little basket for needles and daily insulin/lantus on the kitchen counter, for quick access. My son is pumping but still injects fairly frequently when high or whatever, plus he takes a little background lantus and needs it for that.

He also has a basket on his bedside table that has needles, tester, granola bars, choco milk (the little non perishable ones) and glucose tablets.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We started out with the supplies in the dining room cupboard, but when we switched to pumping, they moved upstairs to the dresser that has held hand-me-downs to grow into. Two drawers now contain diabetes stuff, and I like them there since that's where we do set & sensor changes. Our hand-me-down sources are no longer growing, so the drawers aren't needed for those any more.

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

When Nathan was diagnosed I was in the process of refinishing an old buffet we inherited from my husband's grandparents. It has a HUGE drawer on the bottom that I was fantasizing about filling with tablecloths and doilies. There are also two smaller drawers on top that I thought would be great for my gold silverware. The main body of it has two nice cupboards for china/good dishes.

The reality is that the huge bottom drawer is full of pump supplies, extra meters and other paraphernalia. The two top drawers? One is the "test strip drawer" because it has the supply of test strips in it, along with lancets and batteries and a bunch of other junk that magically appears every time I turn around. The second smaller drawer is paperwork. The cupboards do hold my dishes, along with about a dozen pump pouches thrown in.

As sad as it was to me at the time to fill that darn thing up with lifesaving supplies, I am grateful to have such a good place.

10. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We have a shelf in a bathroom closet for unopened D supplies. The opened packages / boxes / serter / etc are in DS's bathroom drawer - it's about a dresser sized drawer - pretty big. Any food just goes in the pantry with the rest of the food. Paperwork goes in the file cabinet in the office. DS has a place in the kitchen to keep his bag that he carries every day.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I used to keep it in a cupboard in the kitchen, but it now lives in a cardboard box in my room. It's called the 'medical box' - it has all my medication in (way too much!) and it's easy to transport to university with me and home again in the holidays. I might get a plastic box at some point, it's falling apart a bit.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

A shelf in the linen closet has most of it. We also have "diabetes central", a small area on the counter between the kitchen, dining room that has the open box of lancets, tabs etc. There are 3 small drawers (it would be like for cosmetics or such) and then a small container for used lancets.

Insulin is in a Tupperware type container in the fridge. I used to keep it all in the butter compartment but when I tested the temperature it was a little high. The drawers are also the wrong temps so the box on the shelf seems to work. And if I ever had an emergency I could just grab the whole thing.

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

14. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Sounds about right.
    OP, I hope you find storage space in your house! That was my favorite thing when we moved. For our first 3 1/2 or 4 years with D, we were living in a little 600 sq ft apartment with NO storage space. I had syringes in shoe boxes, test strips...everywhere. it was crazy

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  15. Noel

Noel Approved members

The linen closet in my upstairs hallway is nothing but Diabetes supplies. (2 on pumps here) It is completely full. I have one shelf in my kitchen cabinet with some stuff in it for "downstairs". Aidan has a tackle box from Walmart which serves as our "quick box" with 2 of most things in it, but works great if we need to evacuate for some reason or something. Most times when we do a site change or something, he will grab the "quick box". His bag (that goes everywhere with him, hangs inside my pantry door.

It sounds organized and I guess it is, but it just seems like I have stuff everywhere!! :rolleyes:

16. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I'm stealing this idea! Thanks for sharing!

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Besides the insulin in the fridge door, all our supplies are in a big plastic box which we keep in the dining-room sideboard. Stocks are kept next to that.