- advertisement -

Orange Juice

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mlkatie, Aug 9, 2007.

1. mlkatie

mlkatie Approved members

Hi Everyone,

My son just started drinking orange juice along with his breakfast. I dose him exactly for the carbs, and now he seems to be dropping low before lunch. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does OJ do this with your kids?

Also wanted to tell you about something scary/dopey that happened to me. I was getting my DS ready for school and DD ready for soccer camp the other morning and it was just one of those hectic mornings where nothing goes right:(
    Counting carbs, eating breakfast, getting dressed, brushing teeth, sunblocking up--so I get downstairs and draw up the insulin while the kids are in the family room watching TV. I go over to dd, pinch her skin, pull of the cap of the needle and I'm ready to stick her when she screams and pulls her arm away. HELLO, SHE'S MY NON D KID and I almost gave her 3 units of humalog :( Thankfully she was paying attention--I've never even come close to doing that before. I think I need a vacation from d for a week or two.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

OJ has a high glycemic index. A lot higher than an orange itself. It was in and out of his system before the insulin had a chance to catch it, so when the insulin got there he went low.

The only time my child gets juice is to treat a low. We try to stick to more complex carbs with low or medium glycemic index so that we don't have the sling-shots up and down that the higher glycemic index does to her.

3. mlkatie

mlkatie Approved members

Hi Nancy,
    Thanks for the reply.
    He never used to drink juice other than for lows, but his nutritionist said he has to have more calcium. Since he won't eat any kind of dairy products I thought I'd try the OJ with calcium and he likes it.
    So do you have any suggestions? Should I not dose for it?

4. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Katie~
    I mean this in no harmful way- but thanks for the chuckle! :D We're human, and all make mistakes.

We only use juice for lows also, so I'm not sure on the orange juice. I would guess it would do just the opposite- send him high?!!?! I would consider it a basal or insulin to carb ratio on the breakfast. I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong. I'd be anxious to read what others thoughts are.

5. Traci

Traci Approved members

My kids don't get juice either, but other things affect my son exactly the way you described--like popcicles. What I do is just bolus for half the carbs of anything "quick" like that. IMO, juice would fall into that category. Hope this helps!

6. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

Would it help to prebolus 20 - 30 minutes before he has the juice? That way the insulin would have a better chance working with the juice when he drinks it?

7. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

My son gets juice at lunch time at school, and we dont have this issue (thank goodness) but he has apple juice ect, OJ sends him high even if it is covered so we stay away from OJ,
    I also have to thank you for the giggle, my son is an only child but I almost gave my hubby a shot once, he was holding my son (right after dx'ed) and I grabbed his arm instead of my son's :D

8. mlkatie

mlkatie Approved members

Thanks for the replies!
    I don't think pre-bolusing would work with Patrick because I really never know how much he will drink--sometimes he'll drink 8oz and other times he'll only drink 1oz.
    I'll try the 1/2 bolus tomorrow and see how that works out.
    Thanks again.

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

If your Doctor is worried about calcium and you continue to have problems with OJ, what about just having him chew a Caltrate Calcium Supplement. Might solve a couple of problems all at once.

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Sorry, I can't help...We only use juice for low...

11. Josh's Mom

Josh's Mom Approved members

We've had the same problem with sugared cereals ... quick in and quick out! Josh was just low this morning ... and I feel it is due to the cereal. The only time we use juice as a carb is for treating a low or as an added carb if he is full of his meal and wants an exchange.

12. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

We use "Tropicana Light" Orange Juice. A cup of it only has 14 carbs I think. The whole family drinks it..it's very tasty!

13. wellsfamily

wellsfamily Approved members

After testing Aidan at 2 am, this post popped into my mind for some reason. I resisted the urge to hop on the computer then.
    Have you tried Propel water? It is flavored and some of them have calcium. It is actually really tasty. Also, my kids have one or two Tums per day (Autumn is allergic to milk, and this is what her allergist suggested.)
    That's all I have!
    Heather

14. Mommaof7

Mommaof7 Approved members

I was just told by our CDE that cereal is one of the worst, even the ones that have plenty fiber and protein and lower in sugar. She said that they are glucosebondglucosebondglucosebond etc... anyhow the bonds break down quick and it's straight sugar with a big high and a quick drop, she said that a Snickers bar was better, she wasn't suggesting it, just stating that the way the Snickers breaks down was much slower and in an odd sense "better". Just an FYI for cereal.

15. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

My daughter does the same thing with juice.

I try to serve it with eggs, or something else that will slow the digestion down.
    Sometimes I also only cover 2/3rd to 1/2 of the carbs depending on what else she ate, where her pre meal bg, is ect...