- advertisement -

Opionions about A+ Medical Supply...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by curediabetes14, Jan 31, 2011.

1. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

For those of you that have used A+ Medical Supply...do you recommend them and if not why.

We are having a hard time financially right now and I have spoken with them and they say that we do not have to meet any deductibles or pay any copayments. If this is true it would be an answer to prayer. But the logical side of me wonders how they are able to do this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We have used them for over 3 years and have been very happy. Who wouldn't be -- it's FREE! Make sure you check your DME cap on your insurance because they do charge the insurance company a huge amount so they can get reimbursed enough.

I seriously don't know how they make any $$ because our insurance hardly pays them anything.

Be sure and ask for a complimentary bottle of glucotabs to go on your monthly order. They also will ship batteries for your pump and meter (if approved by insurance).

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Agreed!! Love them!

I didn't know about the glucose tabs! I wish they could send insulin again. I'm almost through my backstock.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ditto! They area Godsend!

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

LOVE Aplus!! They have been EXTREMELY helpful and easy to work with. We had to stop using them for most of last year because of our insurance (not because of Aplus) but now we are back to using them for most everything.. LOVE using them!!

6. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

I've been using them for years and if I wasn't already divorcing my husband, his new job, with insurance that has a very low DME cap, would be reason enough to file :D:D

But seriously, if you have a reasonable DME cap and they can accept you, go for it. They have made my life so much eaiser and the girls who manage everything are very sweet to talk to. I am dreading my call tomorrow to Danielle to tell her that her most recent information is correct, and our new insurance won't support them...

7. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We love A Plus.

8. KatieB

KatieB Approved members

I suppose I'm going to be the lone party pooper and say that I find their practices unethical.

The way they make their money is to RADICALLY overcharge your insurance company for supplies. Yeah, you don't pay a co-pay, but guess what? You're contributing to the rise of EVERYONE'S healthcare costs -- including the rising costs of your own healthcare premium.

We use Medco mail order through our prescription plan instead of filling at the local pharmacy, and it has saved us quite a bit of money. Not as much as APlus, but at least I can sleep at night.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Actually, it is not A+ that is unethical. They charge the max amount they can; however, insurance companies do not pay that. Insurance companies pay A+ their max rate, which is a little higher then the negotiated rate they pay your RX company, just high enough to cover the cost of CoPays. A+ isn't shoveling it in hand over fist from the insurance companies; rather, they are making a profit - just like every other Mail Order company out there - but they are not turning around and charging us, therefore making even more profit.

10. BrendaK

This is true. For example, A+ may charge the insurance $200 but the insurance company already has a set approved rate of $60 for the item. Then (for our insurance) they pay 80% of that which is $48. The original $200 doesn't toward any DME cap, only the $60 does.

ALL doctors/pharmacies/insurance companies do this for EVERYTHING. Have you ever looked at your dr bill? They bill $250 for an office visit, but the contracted insurance rate is $70.

A+ isn't doing anything different than anyone else is.

But I still don't see how they make money since they are out of network with everyone, they eat the deductible and copays and they get reimbursed at a much lower rate than network contractors.

11. 3boys1girl

3boys1girl Approved members

I was excited to read about this company. I just called and spoke with Danielle. The way it was explained to me doesn't sound any diff't from how everything else is billed to our insurance. We have always ordered directly from MM for our pump supplies and recently cgm supplies. It appears that we could get everything from Aplus except the cgm supplies. We have a yearly $300.00 DME deductible and then we pay 20% for pump and cgm after that. It can get pretty pricey. When I read this I was hoping to avoid the $300 DME deduct., but won't be able to as long as I have to order cgm supplies thru MM. Is there a better place to order the cgm supplies from? Thanks for the information.

12. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I'm just going to cut and paste another post I made on this same subject awhile ago. But, we still use them. And I'm still nervous. I'm nervous that someone from Aplus will read this post. I don't want to bite the hand that's feeding us, but I can't figure out how they do what they do.

We use Aplus but they do make me nervous. Here's why:

They are out of network so there is a deductible that has to be met first. Then they receive 60% and we pay 40% for out of network supplies. But guess what? We never get a bill because Aplus accepts what insurance pays as full payment. Basically they pay the deductible and they pay the 40% copay.

BUT, our insurance statements say that we owe them thousands of dollars. Why DON'T we owe them? Because Aplus has VERBALLY said that they would not bill us?? Where is it in WRITING? Where is the CONTRACT?

Big question: What's to stop them from simply sending us a HUGE and I mean HUGE bill one day? What leg do we have to stand on? I'll tell you: NO LEG.

WE DO OWE THEM WHAT INSURANCE SAYS WE OWE THEM. They just CHOOSE not to charge it. There is NOTHING stopping them from charging us, and I have ONLY their VERBAL agreement to back me up.

Another thing: First, I'm about 90% sure the following is true. With our insurance there is a LIMIT as to how much any one of us has to pay OOP for out of network. After that, that family member pays NOTHING. Insurance covers EVERYTHING out of network for that family member. So basically, if Jacob's D supplies from Aplus reach that limit, we could just go to any out of network provider we wanted for anything for him for the balance of the year and it would cost us NOTHING. See, insurance thinks WE have paid the out of network deductible and copay to the limits. But we HAVEN'T. Aplus has. Sort of.

Anyone see something wrong with this picture?

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

Have you EVER had to to pay them? Ever? I guess if that was my fear, then I would choose not to use them.

14. BrendaK

I'm thinking that if they started sending bills, they would have a big lawsuit on their hands. They can't tell hundreds or thousands of people verbally that they will never be charged and then charge them. A verbal agreement is still a contract. For as many people as they serve, I don't think they would turn around and charge like that for fear of being sued by all of US. Isn't there a time limit for medical billing too? Like a year maybe? You can't send someone a bill for stuff from 4 years ago....

Just curious, Jacobsdad, have you asked for anything in writing and then they said no? I've never asked.

15. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

We had a billing issue with them once, quite a few years back.

They had sent us some supplies that we didn't order and when I asked for them to sort out the paperwork so that our insurance wasn't being billed for the un-ordered supplies (which we sent back), it took a lot of my attention to get them to fix the problem. Also dates of service were wrong on a couple of the statements we received. And it was hard to line up what was listed on the insurance statements with what we actually ordered/received, given the lack of itemized statement from them.

One of the staff there asked me why I even cared, given that it wasn't being charged to me. I replied that it was being charged to our insurance, in our name and that it should be done correctly ... surprising to me that this was not considered important to the staff person.

If I were to ever use them again (which we won't) I would keep every packing slip and check it against the EOB statements from the insurance to ensure that things line up (dates, items ordered, items billed for).

16. Flutterby

Sorry, its not Aplus that is driving up the health care cost, but rather the insurance companies. The insurance companies WILL NOT pay more than they see fit.. it doesn't matter WHAT Aplus charges them, they only pay what they want. Aplus is doing US a favor by not charging their customers the co-pays. I, for one, am EXTREMELY thankful for aplus.. without them, I'm not sure we'd be able to afford all the co-pays.

17. Flutterby

We've never ever received a bill from Aplus.. we've used them for over 4 years.. When our insurance company told Aplus that sensors were covered, and aplus sent us two boxes, then the insurance company decided they weren't going to pay, aplus didn't charge us. They got NO money from the insurance company and still didn't charge us.