- advertisement -

opinions; type 1.5 or type 2?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by hmmmcormick, Jul 2, 2010.

1. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

I have been doing some testing with Morgan to see if anything is going on with him. I have mentioned that he is not on insulin now after being on both levemir and novolog for over a year after dx.

The endo. has me just checking his b.g. once a day. I try to check at different times to get an idea if there is any real fluctuation. He is mostly g-tube fed and gets glucerna 1.0 twice a day and a combination of half glucerna and half ensure twice a day. The other day I checked him two hours after one of the combination feedings. He was 215. I checked him an hour later, at 200. By 4 hours he was down to 107. So, I checked today after a just glucerna feeding and he was 150. Now, ensure has twice as many carbs as the glucerna 1.0. With the glucerna only he is getting 22 carbs, with the combination he is getting about 36 carbs. So he appears to have a threshold where is you go over he will go high. Is this a case of type 1.5 or is it a case of type 2 that is being controlled well with diet?

2. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Holly..I dont have an answer to your question, but what I can say, is... When Chell was on ensure and switch to glucerna..both of those made her blood sugars sky rocket around the two hour mark.

Glucerna is marketed to those with type 2 diabetes, suppose to be easier on the blood sugars...well, it wasnt easy on the blood sugars with Chell, even with the insulin. If I remember correctly too, we had to give a bit of extra insulin for chell just in order for those blood sugars to come back down to a decent range.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

hmm...thats' really an interesting question...I suppose it could be both...but I suspect it's Morgan's own little variation...which doesn't help you much...

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Holly, I don't know. I wish I did. Sorry you are in limbo :(

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I think you are type M, as in M for Morgan;)

Holly, he is starting puberty, right? Doesn't growth have a higher bg associated with it in non D children?

What is his a1c?

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I don't know but I do know that type 1.5 acts a LOT like type 2 until the honeymoon is over...That can last around 3 years:confused:

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

IDK

BUT something that stuck out to me was carb intake. Is he gettig enough calories/carbs.

Now I remember that he is different, but even sitting still I am wndering if he is spittig out glucose from tyhe liver for fuel?

that said, could it be MODY?

8. hmmmcormick

His a1c has been very good for over a year. The last check, in April, had gone up from 5.6 to 5.7. So, really the a1c of a non-diabetic.

I think maybe you are right and he has type M.

As far as calorie intake, Morgan is extremely cal. sensitive. If he gets what seems like just a few cals. more than usual he WILL gain weight, but if he gets just a bit less, he might lose a lb. or two. With what he is taking now he is maintaining weight and still gaining length.

I asked the endo. about MODY and she feels confident it is not.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I thought type 1.5 was only dxd with positive antibodies.

I have felt since you first posted that Morgan does not have type 1 because he was hyperosmolar and antibody negative at diagnosis, but not in DKA. However, I don't think type 2 sounds right. I think like people with cystic fibrosis related diabetes are not described as type 1 or 2, Morgan shouldn't be either.
    Has he had a c-peptide measurement ever?

I am sorry to hear that his blood sugar hasn't stayed perfect.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

what is type 1.5? A couple of days before Ashleigh was diagnosed I saw an article that talked about type 1.5, but i really didn't read up on it. In the hospital I asked them what type 1.5 was but they said to me "don't worry about that, she doesn't have it". Then changed the subject. Didn't talk about it at all, though they did discuss type 2 which she doesn't have either...I think they dont' know about it and just didn't want to say LOL!

11. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

It could be a good idea to PUSH for the testing because MODY comes in so many different froms with MODY genes not even completely documented. It doesn't sound like Type 2.
    Has he been insulin sensitive the whole time he was on insulin?
    Could it be a honey moon?
    Type 1.5 I can't quite remember all the details about, it's been so long since I was Dx'd or it feels like it, and I know they considered it at the beginning for me...

12. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Well, I can't say whether it is type 2 or type 1.5. I do know that one of the hallmarks for type 1.5 or LADA is the presence of GAD65 antibodies if I remember correctly.
    I will tell you this, though, that if he is spiking to 215 after a combination feeding and then coming back down on his own then it shows that he is not producing the first phase insulin and thus going high. But the lower numbers also show that he is producing second phase insulin which is common in type 2.
    The thing would be to ask for the antibody tests for LADA. LADA can take up to 10 years to fully develop depending on the sub-type of LADA. Personally I don't think once a day testing is enough for anyone. I would not test less than 4 times a day especially when you are trying to see how things affect your son's blood sugars.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just curious if you guys have ever done a CGMS trial with Morgan?

14. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I have to agree to push for LADA testing for the GAD antibodies also to test for MODY and also do a CGMS Trial for a week to get a better picture of what is happening. You may well discover a new type of diabetes.

15. hmmmcormick

I know that the endo. said she really does not think it is MODY. I am not sure why she says this. The suggestion for CGMS trial is great! I don't know why I didn't think of that. We could see if there are frequent after meal spikes and go from there with testing or whatever.