- advertisement -

Opinions on GPS systems...?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Heather(CA), Sep 7, 2010.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Which one do you think is the best and why?

How important are the lifetime map/traffic updates in your opinion?

2. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

OOhh...good question. I'm looking for one, too. Cass's endo is an hour away in a part of Sacramento I'm not all that familiar with and on Friday I got ridiculously lost looking for a place to eat after her appointment.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

I love my Garmin Nuvi 265W ... I can't really critique it but it works. The "enter address" procedure is a little wonky but I really like the unit. It has a battery so you can easily move it from one car to another but it's not a long usage - around 4 hours I think. It has traffic updates as well but it has to be plugged in using the special auto adapter and it's a pretty big cord. Personally, I have found very little utility with that feature but it might be great in, say California NY NY or big cities.

I bought a 1 year update for the maps and it was pricey - somewhere between $60 and $100 if I recall so if I had an option for lifetime maps on that unit it would be nice. Maps change all the time and I try to update them quarterly.

EDIT: Best Buy has a pretty decent return policy I think and it might be a good way to try one out.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

The traffic updates are AWESOME for long journeys on busy roads. There is one motorway which is often on our route to go on vacation, and if you get stuck on it, you're stuck for hours. Honestly, just avoiding that one motorway when there's been a traffic incident makes the traffic updates so worth it. Not quite sure what the lifetime map feature is?

5. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I'm a big fan of the nuvi line. I have a 3790T, a 200W, and a 350. They're all great. The 3790 is the newest one, which is like a big iPod Touch.

Traffic only matters if you regularly drive in a major metro coverage area. I'm in Boston and I drive to lots of unfamiliar places for gigs. So the traffic is worth it.

However, the Navteq traffic is not as good as Google Maps traffic.

Maps, again, depends how often you are close you are to big city. If the nearest city is something most Americans wouldn't recognize by name as a big city, then you probably almost never need map updates. Your unit will go obsolete before the maps do. Otherwise I find it's good to upgrade the maps every 3 years. If you do a LOT of traveling, more than me (> 15,000/yr) then lifetime maps are really helpful.

I'd say get any nuvi that has TTS (speaks street names, not "turn left" without a street name), and widescreen. A 255W is a great first unit. The other features are just parsley and if you don't know you need them, you don't.

I never drive without one. True story - one day I was going home from rehearsal, a 20 minute drive. One of the trumpet players made fun of me for having my GPS out and said "not sure where you live?". Turns out that the main highway was under construction, down to one lane, and had a huge jam at 10:30pm at night. Nuvi dutifully told me to get off the highway. I didn't need the directions, but the traffic alert saved me sitting in a jam for 30 minutes. He was stuck in it.

6. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

we use the navigator on my blackberry, i think most Verizon phones have it now and you can pay per use per month or per year. I like it because we dont have to use it everyday so I only pay for it when I need it.

It gives turn by turn audio, traffic updates and is very reliable.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Slickdeals often has them listed. You might keep an eye on the site before you buy to get a sense of pricing http://slickdeals.net/

8. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

I use my Droid for GPS and it is great. I do not have to pay any more other than the $30 data package. I also use this phone for carb counting.

9. Heather(CA)

Thanks Sarah, that was nice of you to post the website:D

10. Heather(CA)

OK, I have been doing some research and comparison shopping...I think I know what I am going to do:D

First, I am going with the Garmin, that is the one I hear the best things about. Then I was deciding between two, the 1300TML (You can ONLY find it at Best buy) The TML stands for Traffic/Maps/Lifetime. I really want that. BUT, it does not have the capability to program more than one destination at a time. The 1490 does and that's something I really want too. Because I am in sales I may needs to deliver more than one item in an unfamiliar area, so being able to do this would come in really handy...But, although it has traffic, the 1490 does not have the lifetime of maps...

So, at best buy the 1300TML is $239.00 the 1490T is $279.00. I went to Costco, I can get the 1490T for $199.00 then go to their website and get lifetime maps for $85.00. That's a total of $284.00 and I can have the best of both. So, I think that's what I'm going to do, what do you think?

Is that too much? A great deal? I should be able to write it off since I will be mostly using it for work...I wonder how long they usually last?:confused:

11. Heather(CA)

I live near and work in Fresno...Is that a big city? :D

12. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

No. :D
    We used to live in Fresno.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We also have a Garmin 265WT. I really like it, but have never used the traffic feature. If I drove in the City more often I would, but for my daily commute it's not really necessary.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Garmin, and it sounds like for your purposes, the traffic feature would be really handy.

14. saxmaniac

You don't have to buy lifetime maps at purchase. You can add them later, for a one-time upgrade or buy lifetime maps, so there's really no benefit in buying it up front. Your unit comes with up-to-date maps for 1 year. If you get an old box and the maps have cycled while sitting, you can get a free map update.

If you want multipoint routing, many units do, but check for that that on the feature list. Some of the lower-end units only can route 2 points - one destination and one waypoint.

I've heard great stories about buying a GPS at Costco. They have great return policies.

Traffic, see http://www.navteq.com/rdstraffic/index_228.htm
    The red lines have traffic monitoring, and the green areas is where you'll receive the signal. It's not a lot, but if those roads are important to you then maybe it's worth it.

15. Heather(CA)

HEY! Were kinda big lol:D

16. Heather(CA)

The thing is...I have the money now. AND, I'm scatterbrained so I might forget later lol. Once you buy it, will it transfer over to new ones if I want? Is it a chip that can be moved in other words?:)

17. saxmaniac

No, the map updates are bound to the unit you buy.

18. Heather(CA)

Are you sure? There's a chip you can buy seperately for $85.00 online at Costco:cwds: I couldn't move the chip? Sorry, I'm pretty clueless about this :D

19. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

LOL :D

We liked Fresno a lot, but it's definitely not a big city.

20. Heather(CA)

I bought the 1490T yesterday, and I have to say that I am LOVING my new toy:D Especially now that I have it set exactly how I want it. No more worring about where the football games are. I just type in the school's name a Wala:D