- advertisement -

Opinions About Doctor's Arrogance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glorijeff, Dec 22, 2008.

1. glorijeff

glorijeff Approved members

Hi, everyone-I would like some opinions, please about the following that took place today-Thanks! This is my statement that I sent to the Michigan Health Department. (I hope I'm posting on the correct forum).

First, I must give some background. Our 9-year-old Son, Aaron, has type 1 diabetes. We have had all 3of our other children tested under the “Diabetes Trialnet Study” for type 1 diabetes antibodies. Our Son, Matthew, was the only one who tested positive for some of the antibodies. Matt is away at college for about 6 months out of the year. We made an appointment for the Doctor's office to have some blood drawn, after receiving all the forms from the University of Minnesota and Trialnet. We took all of this to Matt’s appointment at the Doctor's office. After we signed in, the receptionist told us that there would be a $10.00 copay. I tried to explain to her that according to the forms that I had, I wasn’t supposed to have to pay anything, that the cost would be borne by the Trialnet study. The Doctor then appeared and said that I had to pay the copay anyway. I asked him if he would read the paperwork that I had, it explains that I shouldn’t have to pay anything. He arrogantly and all-knowingly said “I don’t need to read the papers”. He then said something to the receptionist which I couldn’t hear, and the receptionist said that it would be taken care of. Myself and Matt then sat back down. When the nurse called Matt’s name, we both went in, he was weighed, blood pressure taken, etc. We then went into the examination room and the nurse drew his blood and I gave her all the paperwork and supplies for the Trialnet study. When she was through, she said “We’re all set, you have a nice day”. I returned the well-wishes and we left. We had been home about 10 minutes when we got a call from the Doctor. In short, he accused me of stealing. He said, “Do you think my employees work for free?” He accused me of walking out without paying the $10.00 copay. I tried to explain to him that insurance had nothing to with this, that the cost was being borne by the study. He barely gave me a chance to speak. I also tried to explain to him that it was explained in the paperwork. Before he hung up on me, he suggested that I come and pick up my paperwork and have a lab take Matt’s blood sample. I told him that I would be calling the University of Minnesota to get in touch with him and explain the procedure. I did that, and talked to the Trialnet Study coordinator. She said that she would call the Doctor. About a half hour later, the Doctor's office called me back and the person on the other end said that there was a misunderstanding and they would take care of everything. I thanked her and hung up.

This Doctor was terribly condescending and arrogant. He accused me of stealing! I do not appreciate being accused of something I did not do. Other than the 4 of us switching doctors, I would like to make a complaint about the Doctor's unprofessionalism. The 4 of us (myself, my Wife Gloria, Son Matt, and Daughter Jessica) have been seeing this Doctor for about 3 years now. But after the Doctor made me feel like a criminal, he needs to go to a “bedside manner” class, in my opinion, at the very least.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Wow, this doctor owes you an apology! I'm so sorry you were treated this way.

3. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

That's unbelievable. I wouldn't be darkening his doorway again.

I was treated like this by an obgyn when pregnant with my last. I was 6 months along. :eek: I never went back. Found a new doc. Thankfully was able to find one willing to take me so far along. Believe me, it wasn't easy.

No, that is completely unacceptable.

4. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

Change doctors, what an arrogant tosser!

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Is this a new thing after three years?

If so, I can see your frustration but it sounds like maybe he just walked in and saw there was a conflict and was on the defensive trying to "back up" his employee? Maybe something had happened previously, I know front desk people catch a lot of guff and maybe she'd been putting up with a lot and he misunderstood the situation and was so defensive of his staff he didn't take the time to learn what was really going on? Still a mistake, but a more understandable one?

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Good for you for sticking up for yourself. No one deserves to be treated that way.

7. jendean

jendean Approved members

Whats funny is that doctor spend so much time on ten dollars. What a waste of time for someone who makes ten dollars for every breath he draws in.
    I would complain to the american medical association, and and any other entity you can think of.
    What a total dork.
    You can also go to the internet and find a place that reviews your local docs, and post your opinion.
    Cost him some business. That is the best thing you can do.
    Most doctors dont want to call patients, and dont mess with billing issues.
    That is not really thier job.
    Sounds like a total freak, and not someone who I would want to work for.

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

9. glorijeff

10. glorijeff

Yes, I have seen some of the websites where you can rate your doctor...I'm definitely going to do that. Thanks!

11. glorijeff

Update

Update: I got a letter from the insurance company today (1-9-09). It basically just said that they were investigating. Will update when I know more.

12. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Thanks for the update. Let us know how it turns out.

13. glorijeff

14. glorijeff

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Thanks for taking the time to post. Did this guy ever try to push opiates on your family? how'd you wind up with this guy as your GP ? Was he actually competent otherwise ?

It is always a good feeling when you realize your instincts were correct . :)

He does not look too arrogant in his mug shot. Looks like he has been taken down a peg or a million

weird that he was so needy for 10$ and wasted his valuable time arguing with you over a matter of 10$. Kind of makes you wonder if he was mixing the codeine syrup in his drinks too.

His arrogance may have indeed been his downfall. Why arouse more attention and suspicion when you are mixed up in so many illegal things ??

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  16. glorijeff

No, he never tried to push anything on any of us. We have an HMO for insurance, and I hate to say this, but we based our choice of him as our primary care physician pretty much on his location. HMO's sometimes don't give you much of a choice, and he was close by. He seemed pretty competent, but we didn't see him for much, he was not our two youngest kids physician, we used a pediatrician for them. ( including Aaron with type 1).

17. glorijeff

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

19. glorijeff

Thanks.

Thanks for your concern. We have found a new Doctor.