- advertisement -

Opened Ketostix: Expiration after 6 months?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Mar 20, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Was just checking my son's ketones the other day and noticed the label said to dispose of them 6 months after opening the canister. I'm sure we've been using this canister for at least 6 months...but I used the strips anyway because they were all I had at the time.

Do you all throw away your opened Ketostix after 6 months? What happens if you don't...false negatives? False positives?

2. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Our endo told us that they are actually good for about a year and the 6 month expiry is just a precaution on the company's part.
    But don't quote me on that;)

3. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I order the foil wrapped strips so they last longer. I don't like to use things after they expire.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When I open them I write the date on the lid and I tend not to use them after 6 months. I started buying the foil wrapped ones for school and now that's all I keep on hand.

5. lynn

lynn Approved members

I'm pretty scientific with the way I handle this situation. I write the date that I should quit using them on the bottle when I open them. Then, when that date passes, and we need to check ketones I either open another bottle or I use the old ones because I don't have another bottle!

Seriously, I had one bottle one time that didn't do anything when they were peed on. Otherwise they have seemed consistent with what I would expect from the blood sugar and how Nathan is feeling.

6. Deal

Deal Approved members

I ignore those marketing labels / inventory turnover requests. If I started to get numerous errors I might consider that notice but not until.

7. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

they expire??? WHAT I've been using the same bottle since dx 2yrs ago:eek: I don't check for ketones very often:rolleyes:....

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Mild discoloration of the strips causing false positives, but mostly it looks like trace ketones.