- advertisement -

Opened a new box of dex sensors and not impressed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lizzy731, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Oooo those are cute! Will see what DD thinks!

2. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I think the transmitter is supposed to last 6 months, although some report getting more time. It seems you are demo-ing the G4 in sub-optimal conditions. You shouldn't test drive a Ferrari on flat tires. I think patience will serve your son well regarding the G4. Good luck!

3. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

What do you mean? Are you talking about the transmitter being older than 6 months? It was brand new with the first three sensors he used.

The 4th sensor was probably with an old transmitter, but he took it off after a day anyway because he wanted to put his pump on that side of his belly (so that one I chalk up to an irritated teenager, not a G4 failure!). I don't count that one as a real try. It was only the 5th one whose problems could be blamed on the transmitter.

If we're doing something else wrong (sub-optimal), please tell me what it is!

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Yes, but you're right, it doesn't apply to sensors 1-3. I hope the early 3 were an anomaly and he has Dex success going forward.

5. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

Just this past month we had 3 of 4 (same lot #) go bad by day 5 (--- ???). Dexcom did replace but was pretty adamant was coincidental all bad from the same lot (as there were no other reports). I wouldn't use the last of the 4 and switched to a new box. No issues. Dex rep did ask me to try the last of the 4. Told them I'd rather not - my kid gets poked enough.

So - yes - I've had a 3 of the 4 in a box be bad. I won't try the 4th. Dexcom did replace all the bad ones.

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

could you tell us all the lot numbers so we could all see if we've got the same ones. :)

7. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

duh...sorry:eek:

Lot 5067260

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

Is that the lot number from the box or from the actual sensors ?

9. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

Sensors - box is different. Dex rep told me that was ok and not out of the norm.

10. minniem

minniem Approved members

^^^This, is our problem I think. I just had to change DS's dex sensor after 3 days because it was wonky and saying he was 45 out of the blue and he was steady at 90. After 3-4 readings like that I finally pulled the site and the wire was bent a little bit. DS's abdomen is very lean and we just started trying to use it, but it gives us awful reliability. I think he's just too skinny there for sensors...they work much better for him in soft tissue (i.e. his upper bottom).

11. Lizzy731

After about 5 days the sensor still is not as accurate as the others. An educator from Dex called me yesterday as a courtesy call and I spoke to her about this and she did say that some sensors are just not as accurate as others. Amazing for her to admit this as Medtronic always managed to find a way to blame how I inserted it, taped it, didn't insert it at 3:52pm etc....

She also told me to get more accurate readings during the life of the sensor I should try to calibrate a high and a low BG after the initial 2 calibrations during the first 24 hours. And if the sensor is not within 10 points at lower BG's and within 20% at higher numbers that they will replace it. To be honest this site has been within 5 points and within 20 points at lower numbers but since I'm used to the Medtronic I am not really caring too much. I am hoping for a better one next time.

12. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Is this below or above the wasteline? Are his pants covering the sensor? My son won't let me go near upper bottom or side handles for pod or G4. I think the painful Lantus shots during MDI have scarred him.

13. Lizzy731

We use below underwear line...above line I consider to be lower back. And we tried that and it didn't work. Every kid is different but my DD has very little fat on her love handles. Also...you need to make sure the sensor won't interfere with clothing elastic so that means you have to clearly put it a few inches below or much higher above the pant line.