advertisement

OpenAPS, Riley Link, and Other DIY Closed Loop Systems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the various do-it-yourself closed loop systems, and if any of our forum users are using these systems.

Please let me know what your thoughts and experiences are.

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I would love to have the kids up and running on a DIY pancreas but neither is interested. We even have an old Medtronic pump that would work. Daughter doesn't want a pump, son doesn't want a tubed pump. I can't say I understand, because I would start building my system the day I was diagnosed, if it ever happened...but this has been a huge lesson in 'their diabetes, their choice' for me!

3. johnyaya

johnyaya Approved members

We are currently using Omnipod, and my Daughter does not want to switch to a tube pump, so a DIY pancreas is out for now.

Based on my research into Open APS, the system itself appears to be about 7-10 years ahead of any other system in terms of function. People using Open APS with the new algorithms designed for Fiasp are at the point were all they need to do is signal to the system that they are going to eat, and everything else happens more or less automatically.

For now I'd just be happy with a "predictive low" basil cutoff. It's so trivial to implement, with a low element of risk attached to it's use. It's like comparing adaptive cruise control to the old-fashioned "one-constant-speed" version. You'd wonder how you ever got along without it.

As far as the politics of diabetes tech goes, open source is the only real answer to bring a closed loop system to the masses globally. Proprietary walled-garden systems will not only be less functional, they will always be too expensive for mass adaptation. It's a shame that JDRF is not doing more to embrace open source - their "open protocols" initiative, IMHO, will not produce any viable solutions without open source systems.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We have two friends who are Looping, but my daughter has zero interest in wearing a Medtronic again with its history of malfunctions. If the Omnipod breakthrough happens, she'll want on it immediately. In the meantime, we're looking forward to LGPS of the T-slim X2 as our next move up.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I'm using the openaps with the intel edison and a medtronic 522 pump. My husband built it with the help of a friend. It works great. I am still nursing my son several times a day which results in volatile blood sugars that the system handles with ease. My average blood sugar is 95-100. I'm not planning to switch to the medtronic 670g because the target of 120 is way too high for pregnancy. I don't see a commercial system being an option for women planning a pregnancy/pregnant for years because the FDA will have to allow the pump company to offer a lower target option (of course it is an excellent option for women who would otherwise have an A1C in the 6-7 range or above without it).

6. sgh

sgh Approved members

My son and I are both using openAPS systems (he didn't really get a choice about it, he didn't like it and still doesn't, but too bad, I want to sleep), and finally I can sleep through the night! I would say it makes the most difference during the night vs during the day, but it still helps 24/7. We've been using them for just over 2 years now already!

7. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

I can't speak about the Medtronic, but my daughter uses the T:Slim and it allows you to choose your target BG. She was part of a clinical trial aimed at testing the new T:Slim (the X2 but with a software upgrade) with automatic low cut off, and I think you could change the target BG on that one as well.

To answer the original question: we don't use a homebrew AP, because I do not trust myself enough to make such a device. I'm just not willing to hook up my daughter to something that has never been tested by a professional quality control department.

Joshua Levy

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

How did she/you like the LGPS? I'm so looking forward to that coming out, and from what I'm reading, it sounds much better than when Medtronic released their low glucose suspend in that it resumes insulin based on cgm reading rather than time?

9. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

We loved it. She had her lowest A1c ever while using it. That sounds a little contradictory, because why would A1c go down because low BGs caused a shutdown of insulin? But the answer is simple: since you know you have that added protection against going too low, you are willing to be more aggressive about dosing highs. The result (for us) was a lower A1c and more BG in range, both on the high end and the low end.

As for limiting the shutdown by time vs. CGM: I agree with you that CGM should be better, and I have no experience with Medtronics time based shutdown. But I will say, that my guess is that the difference will be small. That time vs. CGM for ending shutdown will be vastly less important than having shutdown vs. not. So I would not worry about it too much.

Joshua Levy