- advertisement -

Ontarians!! CCAC?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by KHS22, Oct 25, 2013.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Hi all, looking for people in Ontario who have had a nurse come in to help with insulin dosing at lunch time in their kids school? Experiences???

THANKS!

2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

No one from Ontario using nurses in the school to help their little ones??

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

They are RPNs employed with agencies like St. Elizabeth's. I have heard a lot of negative things about the the RPNs not showing up without notifying the parents, calling children's aid because a child's blood sugars are out of range etc.

There are a few pediatric endocrinology programs who outright advise parents not to bother.

5. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Really... So what do parents do then, any idea??

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I think a lot use NPH. I have also heard of parents setting the basal rate to run high because no one was available to bolus. So the higher basal rate would compensate.

I'd say it is worth trying out the CCAC provided service to see what you think. Also ask your clinic what they think.

7. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Yah, a pump certainly makes it easier! But it will be at least months before that happens...

I HATE NPH!!! :/ I will do what I can to avoid it!!

So far they seem decent, but we've only had conversations so far, so I'll see how it goes wtih CCAC...

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I think it might be worth getting the ball rolling to get a CCAC RPN in place and go from there. I think you might have a better experience because you are an RN EC. Even though all parents deserve respect and deference in spite of their field of employment, this may be the case.

I think a major problem parents of CWDs face is that the RPNs can assume that they have a greater amount of knowledge on DM than the parents do. I am sorry to denigrate RPNs but I just find that when it comes to type 1 and RPNs that the adage a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing tends to be true in a lot of causes.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We are currently in the US, but we planned to return to Ontario last year and now hope to return next year. We looked into CCAC, and I think I got a pretty good idea of how the system works, at least in Toronto and York Region. Do you have a specific question?

10. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

I'm having ISSUES! with them. Say they can't be there at a specific time, or it iwll be a different person every day (not okay with a 3 year old who is still timid of the needles). so, they have said I can look for my own RN, but thats not easy either! UGH. At the moment I'm taking an early lunch at work, driving across the city to get to her school and do it myself. Stressful, but wondering if its the best option....

11. Outnumbrd

Outnumbrd New Member

I live in Kingston and have an educational assistant who is trained by CCAC nurses to administer my son's bolus. Not quite the same since he is on the pump however my son's EA also administers injections to other T1D children in the school. From what I've seen some school boards manage T1D with extreme caution and the utmost care while others rely solely on the parents. :(

12. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

So we've got RN's coming in now -- they managed to do it so that its always one of two - so its not a host of new people every day for her.

They have been quite good once we got it set up, was just a pain in the ass to set up.

I'd be fine with an EA doing it - as we well know you don't have to be medical personnel to manage diabetes - I think its great that its the same person every day!! I asked about when she goes on the pump, and apparently she still qualifies for a nurse to come out and bolus her. So, if the same nurses are still available, I guess I'll keep that. But i'd feel more comfortable with non-nursing staff bolusing her on the pump, as they don't have to do any of the math. Right now we tell them how many carbs we packed her, but then they have to add the correction factor. Its just a bit simpler with the pump I figure...

But, FYI if that ever doesn't work out, he qualifies for CCAC RN to come in! I looked into all the details when I was trying to figure it out~

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I am surprised you were able to acquire RNs. It seems like this would be in the scope of an RPN.

14. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

I think it was just who was available... I think they said they put out a request for RN or RPN. Yah, I agree either would be fine! :)

15. Toterra

Toterra Approved members

We have a nurse coming in for our son in grade 5 from the first day he was back at school after being dignosed a month ago. There is another child in grade 4 who has T1 so that probably helped getting a nurse so quickly. They alternate between two nurses. One comes most of the time, the other every two weeks when the main one is off. So far so good. They have been very helpful and have made going to school under this new reality as painless as possible. This is helped by the FANTASTIC support from my son's principal and teacher.

As part of the program they encourage the kids to do their own injections and management, it is just very nice to have a nurse oversee what is happening, especially for us being so new to all of this. My son will age out of the program apparently next year so it is good that he is learning how to manage things on his own as much as possible.

As for carb counting, we have to include in the lunch the carbohydrates for all of the food he is having. Our school uses nutrition breaks instead of lunch (two breaks instead of one at noon) which is annoying. What we do is the first break he has < 10 g of carbs so no need to bolus. The second break involves the injection. The nurse is however present at both breaks.

TBH I was susceptible but am now very thankful for the program. The only downside is that the alternate nurse is not as good as the main one. We had her the second day of his return to school and she seemed to have a lot of difficulty believing what we had written down as the carbohydrate content of the food in our sons lunch. She checked it though and we were right.

16. MicheleP

MicheleP Approved members

You may want to connect with Support Ontario Students with Type 1 Diabetes for other suggestions. Their twitter handle is @SOST1D and they also have an active Facebook page. The group has information about relevant legislation as well for students in Ontario. Good luck!

17. runaroundsue

runaroundsue Approved members

Hello everyone! First post here. Somehow my post in the intro thread got lost somewhere.. I am glad to find Ontario residents here and yes I did have CCAC involved to an extent. My son was diagnosed Oct/13. Just after Christmas I had the nurses at CCAC reach me. It actually didn't go very far because I wasn't comfortable with the two nurses who phoned to tell me they were going to the school. So I phoned back the social worker and told her it's not happening and as a stay at home mother, I'd rather go check my own son's blood sugars at lunch time.