- advertisement -

Onset of Type 2

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by Gwyn, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

A friend was just diagnosed with Type 2, and I am wondering if she might have type 1 instead.

She had gestational diabetes with her daughter, but had a fasting glucose test last year that was fine. She is in her early 50s

In October she started feeling terrible and suddenly lost around 7 pounds. She was "feeling drunk" after eating and was generally miserable. She went to her doctor with a glucose of over 300 and was put on Metformin.

Blood sugars remained over 300 for at least three weeks and she found out that her a1C at diagnosis was 13. She recently switched to glucophage and has had somewhat better numbers (in the 200s).

Is it possible for type 2 to have such a quick onset? She hasn't had a c-peptide test--should I tell her to get one?

Thanks for you insight!

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Is she seeing a board certified endocrinologist?

3. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

Yes! Get the Cpeptide and GAD antibody screenings. I had Gestational with both my girls, good fasting numbers, but horrid post prandial numbers for a LONG time before diagnosis I am thinking, by the way I felt after meals. I was put on pills, actos and metformin for a whole month, with NO change in BS becuase I was type 1 crazy doctors! Just becuase I was an adult they assume Type 2 even though my dad is type 1, I was 115lbs and an a1c of 13%!!!

4. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

She was diagnosed by a GP, but is switching to an internist. I'll be sure to talk to her about additional tests run to rule out type 1.

I am not sure if there are any regular endo's in our town or not--the closest ped endo is at the University about 45 minutes away.

5. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I don't want to run down anyone, but it's been my experience so far that an internist can handle an un-complicated type 2, and that's about it. I would strongly recommend a visit to an endo, or at least insisting that the c-peptide be done.

I was also mis-diagnosed as a type 2, only to be "re-classified" later as type 1. May just need some supplemental insulin to get going.

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Hi,
    First of all Metformin and Glucophage are the same meds. Metformin takes several weeks to see any real benefits as it has to build up in your system. Of course the side effects are pretty common, nausea, vomiting, gas and cramps and diarrhea.
    I still think she should get a C-peptide test done and see what is going on and how much insulin she is producing.
    You can by the way be thin and have Type 2. No Type 2 does not have the quick onset but she may have already had type 2 and did not know it. It is the postprandial numbers that are affected first, so if the doctor only did a fasting he may have missed the fact that she already had type 2.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  7. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Thanks for the info--I certainly don't know much about these meds!

Just as an update, my friend has switched doctors and she is being treated as a type 1 now. However the doctor apparently told her that "she will never know for sure which type she has" :confused: so I doubt that they did the c-peptide.

I suggested she see an endo, but she likes the new doctor and is feeling better now that she is on Lantus, so I don't think she will go.