advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OneTouch Ultra meter question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sari, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Sari

Sari Approved members

We just started using the OneTouch Ultra meter now that Medtronics has swapped it out instead of the BD/Nova meter. We ordered like a 3 month supply of strips and now that we have started using it - HATE IT!!! Is it just us?? We find it requires WAY more blood then the BD did. So far half the time we don't get enough blood and then have to restick Ross. Like getting stuck 10 times a day isn't enough that we need to restick him for redo's.

Any one having similar problems? Any suggestions? We will stick it out until the strips run out (which at this pace will be fast!)and then probably go back to the Nova meter which we were perfectly content with.

2. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Darn near everyone hates this meter! :) Takes too much blood. I hate it too, but Jayden loves it because it communicates with the pump. We were always told not to use the BD/Nova meter because it was inaccurate, so we never used the one that came with the pump originally.

I am patiently waiting for something else. I figure Jayden is ten, so she can choose which meter she wants to use. Sure do wish she'd go back to the Aviva!

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use it, and yes, it takes a heck of a lot of blood. I don't see why they can't reduce the amount needed. We are getting the Ping, so this is why we are sticking it out.

4. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I don't hate the ultra link, guess it's what you're used to. We have used the Ultra products for awhile now.

Another parent told me she used the Nova meter with the MM, I looked it up and you can get a free one, it evidently is similar to the BD Meter. Here is the link:

http://voucher.novacares.com/register.cfm

5. punky1076

punky1076 Approved members

We started with the One Touch Ultra Mini since that is what we were given FREE at the hospital. We liked it okay until we stepped out a little just a few weeks ago and started using the Freestyle Lite. Oh boy.....what a difference. Compared to the One Touch it uses way less blood.

6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I hated the One Touch meter that came with the Ping at first. Same deal - error codes from not enough blood. The Aviva is so much easier.

However, that said, we have learned that if we are very diligent to get a rounded drop of blood and touch the strip to it vertically above the droplet - then it will "suck" the droplet in better.

Melissa has reverted to using the meter to enter everything because she can "see" it better. We all still hate the dull, hard to read screen.

I want her to enter her carb calculations via the meter at school because it is easy to scroll through the history to record them at home. She prefers the meter's exCarb function. Oh well. That battle is for another day!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  7. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

we use the onethouch and it does take alot of blood, Poor John squeezes his finger and it bothers me more than it does him (I guess he likes seeing the blood typical boy there). I had to fight so hard for medicaid to pay for his testing supplies and everything I'm afraid to ask for a change and they are limited to what they will pay for.

8. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Same thing here. We thought it was a good meter until we started using the freestyle strips in the Omnipod PDM. So much less blood now. And the meter gives you more time to get enough blood. I can't imagine how many one touch strips we have wasted since DX.

With the one touch I did like how the strips sucks the blood up the tip and you can see the progress. And the big numbers that are easy for mom to read over the shoulder on the mini.

9. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

LOVE IT! Love the interface. Love that we can put carbs at meals and units of insulin. It's great for troubleshooting trends. It's also great if you're in the middle of the "cycle" and you say, hey, what time did we give you your needle?? And everybody has that blank look on their face. Let's check the meter, oh, we gave the needle at 12:13 and it's 2 o'clock, check your finger in about 15 minutes for snack.

Advice for the not enough blood, make sure there's a bubble and if you think that it might not be enough, give it another squeeze to make sure.

We've been using the Ultrasmart now for at least 2 years and I can't see us using any other one.

10. madde

madde Approved members

That is exactly what I was going to say. If you get the strip angled right with the blood, it is like a little vacuum.

Try that and see if it becomes easier for you.

11. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I was using the One Touch Ultra 2 meter, and it does take a lot...it is also really slow at taking the blood. There were a few times I had difficulty with the strips even 'sucking' the blood up(obviously, I wasn't touching the strip to it correctly, but when your hand is shaking...difficult to be perfect;)). Very frustrating during a low.

I did like what the Ultra 2 offered(for note taking), however, I LOVE my new Aviva now. The strips are easier to use, takes the blood much faster, and doesn't need as much.

12. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

We got the Ultra at diagnosis from the hospital, have stuck with it (no pun in tended) since. Recently switched to the UltraSmart onetouch. I don't think I could go back to writing everything down. The Ultrasmart is our log book now. Can't type in exactly what he eats but how many carbs, protein, fats, how much of what insulin, etc. I'd love for it to use less blood but if we are careful we don't get too many errors.

13. Zac's Mom

Zac's Mom Approved members

We really like that the one smart link transmitts Zac's BG to the pump, takes at least 1 small factor of Zac putting the wrong BG. I guess b/c we have mostly used One Touch products since Dx'd we have never thought that it takes much blood. I always thought it took very little, compared to the amount the Precision X-tra uses for ketones it does seem to be little.

14. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

We just switched from the Accucheck Aviva to the One Touch UltraMini. We use the Multiclix with the One Touch UltraMini (mixed things up to suit). We switched because the One Touch strips are much cheaper than the strips for Accucheck for our insurance. However, I am not impressed thus far. We are getting a lot of errors because it requires so much blood. Connor's fingers are full of holes. The strips are tiny and hard to see, especially at night. We have had some odd readings, including ones at school that have been questioned by our school nurse. We'll be using up our 200 strips and switching back to Aviva Accucheck. It's worth the extra money for us.

15. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

If you have a smear it will take up much slower, or maybe not at all! You want a rounded bubble that "pops" into the strip itself. This applies to all meters, but with OneTouch you really need enough. On the plus side you can see it working.

Or not working. ERROR 5 NOT ENOUGH BLOOD.

16. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Error 5 - that's the one we get. He's already on 5 for the setting depth on the Multiclix, so I hate to dial it up any higher. It seems to require a pretty big bubble of blood. :(

17. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

We don't like the Ultra-link, either, and are pretty happy we only partially filled one-month of test strips with that and the rest with BD.

If you call Nova, they will replace your old BD with the new NovaLink one for free. The new one is a great meter and communicates with the MM pumps just like the BD ones do. They still only require the tiniest bit of blood, but the new meters hold way more BG history (100s of readings), and the grips along the side are nicer, too.

If you call the number on the back of your BD meter, you will be given the correct phone number to call. They were nice to me and we are very happy with the updated NovaLink meters.

I'm glad the boys have the mini-Ultralinks in their backpacks, or I'd be upset at having any of the ultra strips to use up!!

18. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

We use the Nova Link meter as well to link to the MM 522. WE are very pleased with the customer service, accuracy, etc. We did use the One Touch for the first year---until the small blood drop for the BD got us hooked. I did speak with a One Touch rep regarding the difficulty with getting enough blood. She asked me which lancet I was using. I told her that I was using some very thin BD sones as I felt they were more gentle with Alex's fingers. She informed me that was my problem---that I needed to use larger gauge lancets to get a larger blood drop. She said---"bigger hole, bigger blood drop". I wanted to say "BIGGER PAIN, BIGGER HOLES ALL OVER HIS LITTLE FINGERS" but shut my mouth.

19. Java

Java Approved members

This is the only meter we have ever used. If you call the 800 number and tell them you are getting a lot of errors because this meter is new they will send you replacement strips. They are always so nice when I call.

20. Sari

Sari Approved members

I agree, the less I can hurt Ross, the better. I don't want bigger holes in his fingers. For goodness sakes, he is only 4 and his fingers are tiny. I think it is back to the BD/Nova meter for us as soon as we finish up these strips.