- advertisement -

One year later

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom of 15 yr old, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Mom of 15 yr old

Mom of 15 yr old Approved members

December 18, 2009 - one year since daughter's diagnosis. Just wanted to reflect on the past year. She is now 16, and sometimes wants this all to go away. Doesn't always do the right things but has a very good support system behind her. Getting out of the honeymoon stage was quite a bit tougher than we thought. The Christmas holidays were tough. Blood sugars very sporadic. But she got through as did we. She has grown up - much more quickly that she had to. Her teen years will be somewhat different than her best friends, but they can do the same things. At times, she feels isolated and we are not sure what to say OR what to do. Her close friends are very supportive of her diabetes and very involved in recognizing when things aren't right. She just feels different. She is now talking to someone who specializes in this and we hope that this will help. I still sit and cry sometimes. Especially when she has difficult days. I know I am not alone in this fight against T1. I love this forum in which I can come out here and know that we are not alone.

Thanks for reading and God bless all of you!

2. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

We are coming up on 8 months since dx and I still have days where it doesn't take much to get me weepy. Liam's mostly OK with everything.He handles the day to day stuff really well. What's been hardest for him has always been that he doesn't know any other person with Type 1. He is the only student at our school of 900 students that has it and he's yet to meet any other kids with Type 1. He has great friends that have never given him anything, but 100% support, but it's still not the same. I know how you feel about CWD. It's been a life saver for me. It's so great to know a little help or a (virtual) shoulder-to-cry-on is only a click away! :cwds: