- advertisement -

On the g5 does the receiver and phone diverge in their readings?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Theo's dad Joe, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

I am curious about how the dexcom algorithm works. Since of the G5 the phone and receiver are not linked, do they diverge slightly over time, especially if the transmitter is out of range of one of them for a while?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am not sure I understand your question. Can you re-phrase?

We run 2 receivers per kid one hooked up to a uploader phone for nightscout and one they wear on their person. They start and stop at different times and when one of them has been out of range of the transmitter they usually will have different numbers. There is no memory in the Dexcom Transmitter so if receiver is out of range there is no back filling of data. The G5 comes with the 505 algorithm update that is available for the adult version of G4.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

The "math" is performed by the transmitter and it sends out a computed value. The receiver and phone are just displays.

4. Theo's dad Joe

The tech reps told me that all of the math was done by the receiver and that the transmitter simply sent out a raw data value (voltage or resistance I don't recall) and that the receiving devices used that raw data and entered it into the algorithm to predict blood sugar based on the last 6 calibrations and the prior sequence of raw data. They told me that the transmitter doesn't do any calculation.

5. Theo's dad Joe

that is what I thought. It could depend on when you calibrate each one though, but it seems that it may depend on the sequence of raw data. It matters because it would mean that the data may lose accuracy if you are out of range for a while.

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Is it the same for g4 and g5 or do they operate differently?

I, too, have wondered what would happen if you connect a receiver and a phone to a g5, since they would operate independently, unlike g4 with share. I think I remember reading somewhere that if you use both, they have to be calibrated at the same time. But as for "drift" I am still curious.

7. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

My understanding is that is true for the G4 but not the G5.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

That is my understanding too that the brains are in the receiver not the transmitter, I know it is that way for sure for the G4 and pretty sure it is for the G5 also.

9. andiej

andiej Approved members

Not really sure where the brains are but with the G5 you don't have to use a receiver so all the brains can't be in there.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

The phone would then become the "receiver" and needs to be calibrated, they are not yet to the G^ which will be no claibrations.

11. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I can't wait for the Dexcom G^! The perfect G^ would require no calibrations; the sensor would be as small and flat as the Libre, and never fall off but automatically drop off painlessly every 30 days when its time is up; and its alarms would sound inside the wearer's ear so as not to draw attention to them during class or meetings (while still sounding on the Follower's device of choice)... One can dream.

12. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

The technology has changed. With the G4 the receiver ran the raw data from the transmitter through an algorithm and came up with current BG and trend and displayed that. With the G5 the transmitter processes the raw data through the algorithm and transmits the computed data out to whatever receivers are listening.

13. Theo's dad Joe

That opens up new possibilities-like having the transmitter eventually send straight to the cloud, but that would mean that you in fact are calibrating the transmitter with each calibration? not the receiver? And they told me that you have to calibrate each receiver/phone separately so if my son takes his receiver and phone to school with the G5 he would have to calibrate both of them. Is that true or do you just have to send the calibration data to the transmitter and it is set to send the right numbers?

14. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

No, you do not and should not calibrate via both the receiver and phone. One or the other - it then transmits the adjusted value to the transmitter, which does its thang and sends out a new value incorporating the calibration data to whatever device(s) are listening.

I too am looking forward to the G^. Has anyone heard about the G& yet?

15. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Whomever told you that you need to calibrate both with the G5 has misinformed you. You only need to send the calibration from one receiver as the receiver then sends the calibration reading to the transmitter, it is the transmitter in the G5 that actually gets calibrated, no longer the receiver. Hope that simplifies your process. What you will notice is that when you calibrate on one, the other will still show calibration needed until it receives no data from the transmitter, may take up to five minutes. But once the receiver for which the calibration was not entered receives the updated data from the transmitter it will no longer show calibration required.

16. njswede

njswede Approved members

I've noticed the phone and the receiver sometimes differ right after calibration, but they quickly synch up.

17. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

FWIW, same here.

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

With the G6 there will be no calibrations as it is planned for now.

With the G5 there is no linked meter, so you have to go in and decide to calibrate, there is no auto catch of BG numbers being taken. And when it comes to an integrated pump the pump will ask if to use the BG you entered for a calibration.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016