- advertisement -

On the eve of her 10th birthday....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Barbzzz, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Alex celebrated her 10th birthday yesterday. Thank God for insulin because I doubt she'd be here otherwise, seeing as how she's fast approaching the 3 year mark. But the night before her birthday, she came into the bedroom, wrapped up only in a towel after her shower, absolutely in tears.

"Mom, have they found a cure for me yet? Its not fair that I'm the only one in our family who has to stick needles in myself all day long. No one else has to do this, not you, not dad, not Mike... If they're not going to have a cure for me by the time I'm 50, I might as well just kill myself now." :(

I did the normal stuff any parent would do, and assured her that they are working hard to find a cure for her. "Soon, baby, soon." Thankfully, she didn't push it further and ask when "soon" was -- cause truly I have no answer to that. I don't like lying to my daughter, and only wish I didn't have to. :( Alex is right, it's so not fair. We really, really need a cure.

2. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Barb I am sooo sorry Alex felt that way, its never any fun to see our babies in tears because of how unfair this damn disease is. I know all we can do is hold them and tell them how much we love them and will always be there to support them until a cure is found, but they are right its not fair and it never will be. So Big Hugs your families way, I know how it tears you up since we had our own melt down over it as well. Makes me wish they had some way to just stop the attack and I could just have them give my baby my pancreas and bear her burden.

Oh and a big Happy Birthday to your princess.

3. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Oh Barbara!! :(
    :(

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

:( Not what we want to hear from the mouths of children (or anyone, for that matter).
    So sorry.:(

5. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

It makes me so sad that our children have to be so burdened at such a young age - that's not the way it's supposed to be.

I hope Alex has a wonderful carefree 10th birthday!

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I'm soo sorry about that Barbara! I hope she will bounce back and forget all about feeling that way soon.

7. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Oh Barb. :( It is so not fair. It is not fair that any of our children have this horrible disease. It is not fair that as parents, we have to lance their fingers and stick them with needles or infusion sets to keep them healthy and alive.

My heart goes out to you and Alex. :(

I wish her a wonderful birthday with diabetes on the back burner - letting her be the happy, carefree child she should be. :cwds::)

8. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

So sorry to hear that Barb :( This disease really sucks!

As always, praying for a cure.

9. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I went to reply earlier and all I could come up with is that I am truly sorry! I hate that aspect of diabetes.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh sweet Jesus:( That dear, sweet child:( Im sending you a big (((hug))) and pray that your broken heart will be soothed by your baby's smile when she celebrates her birthday. We wont ever give up Barb, not ever! Its not in my plan that Steven will have diabetes when he's 50 nor your Alex either!

11. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

That is heartbreaking Barb. Instead of 'lying', ok, maybe bending the truth, maybe try the truth. After all, she is 10 now and can understand more of what's going on. Maybe next time that she has a breakdown like this, you can mention that her birthday buddy has a grand father that is 60 years old and has lived with Diabetes since he was her age. Yes, he has had some complications that may or may not have been Diabetes related, but it was also at the time where he did not have a pump or even a meter to know what his sugars were. Everything was guess work....there wasn't even carb counting! Maybe she'll find comfort in the truth that if an ancient 60 year old can live with Diabetes without a meter for the first 30 years of having diabetes, that with all the technology that she has to help her, she'll live a full and happy life....... Wow, can you imagine diabetes without meters or carb counting?!?!?!

12. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

Oh, Barb I know the feeling...

When Nephele was Dx'd in 2007, I made the dreadful mistake of telling her that a cure would be available in a matter of five years. I was a complete noob with diabetes, and had googled that bit of misinformation.

Nephele remembers that, and every year passing does a countdown. A few days ago she said "one more year dad, eh?" I explained to her that although many bright scientists are working on a cure, it probably wont me around that soon, and she was in tears...

13. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

I'm really sorry you have to deal with that, it's not fair that our kids have to ask those questions. I'm dreading the day my Alex start asking that kind of questions

14. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Oh that is just heartbreaking! Im so sorry!

My little boy had his first "break down" since dx the other day. It was so hard trying to answer his questions.... I tried comforting him, but he just cried harder and told me i didnt understand because I do not have type 1 like he does. :(

I wish i could make this all better...i know you do too!

15. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

so sad...

Barb...
    I am so sorry that Alex has to feel this way.... she is right, it is so hard and so unfair and yet we do what we can to accept it and make the best of it. I hope she will be feeling better about it soon. I know it comes in waves... birthdays, holidays etc. evoke strong memories and the struggles that our children must endure really come out during such times. In our situation, holidays before diagnosis are firmly implanted memories therefore, our son remembers a time before diabetes and compares then to now - it does not bring him joy to do this but it is a natural reflection. It is so rough.

Hugs to you and Alex....