- advertisement -

On-base pharmacy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Illinifan, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Grrrr...

I called last night to get Zach's 'scripts renewed since it's that time of month.

Syringes, check.
    Test strips, check.
    Novolog, check.
    Lantus, BUZZZZ! Can't refill it until March 6. WTH?

Called today. Explained that we've been getting 2 bottles of Novolog and 2 bottles of Lantus every month for the last 5.5 years from the same pharmacy. We were told that we always needed a backup because kids break things. It's always been this way for us.

"Well, sir. According to his dose amount, that much Lantus should last until the first week of March." Me: When did the policy change? His endo has been prescribing him two bottles a month ever since Day 1. "Well, sir. According to his dose amount, that much Lantus should last until the first week of March." Me: So the same logic should apply to his Novolog. Does it?

It turns out that the nurse who wrote the script this time put the daily dose of Lantus on the script. The geniuses in the pharmacy did the math and decided that means that the Lantus should last for over 60 days.

Me: Ok. I'll play along. Once you open a bottle of Lantus, it's only good for 28 days. "That's right, sir." Me: So how are two bottles of Lantus going to last for over 60 days since 2x28= 56. "Sir, if you want me to renew the prescription, I will." Me: Yes. Do that, please. I'll need to be able to pick it up when I pick up the rest of the prescriptions.

What frustrated me the most was the attitude the tech adopted. He actually thought he was doing me a favor. He couldn't explain why the process had changed, but he wanted me to know that he was doing me a big favor and expected me to gush my appreciation.

Grrrr....

2. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Xd

Pharmacies think they know everything. What do they know? Their not the doctor, or the paitent. We had similar issues getting novalog, They said "oh, based on her scale, 5 pens should last her until March the 8th!" that was in december. Uh...I lose about 20-40 units from each pen just doing the 1 unit before I actually give myself the insulin. Yeah, just play stubborn and eventually they give in.