- advertisement -

OmniPoder's - Do you use PDM for BG meter?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Dec 19, 2013.

?

OmniPoder's - Do you use PDM for BG meter?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I'm getting some wacky BG results over the last couple days with our PDM and Freestyle strips. Our strips are not on the recall list. I remember someone posting that PDM/Freestyle was consistently inaccurate so they abandoned it. Just wondering if lots of others have done the same. We check the unit at the Dr's office and all's good, but I'm still not 100% convinced. Thanks.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We did not/do not. We used Aviva through the summer and now are using the Verio IQ because of the Express Scripts change.

3. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Why don't you use it?

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

We abandoned ours even with 800 strips left. Things got a LOT better afterwards.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Because the Aviva is rated as much more accurate & now because we only have One Touch options.

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We do. DS is 11 and getting him to carry a PDM, test strips, pokey, glucose tabs and his CGM receiver is enough. We add in a separate meter and I think he would freak. We had used One Touch previously and have been much happier with Freestyle so I'm not motivated to look around. In fact, DD still uses Freestyle even though she's off the pods.

7. Jason's mom

Jason's mom Approved members

I really want to be feel comfortable enough to use it because it would simplify things. But, every time I check it against the One Touch strips we normally use, it reads a fair amount lower. His A1C is good now, and it seems that consistently lower readings would result in a higher A1C, so I just can't quite get there.

8. swellman

I'm not following this. Do you feel the Freestyle is erroneously low or high or what?

9. Jason's mom

Jason's mom Approved members

It seems to be erroneously low for us. Based on the lower readings we get with the Freestyle strips, we would be giving less insulin. I suspect that, in turn, would result in a higher BG average. Our A1C now seems be better supported by the numbers we get from One Touch.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well this is where I am at. She had been podding since the summer and we are doing the same things we always do, and her A1c has gone up the last two readings. It does not jive with the average on the PDM, that is the A1c is higher than what I was excpecting by going off of average.

We just switched back to the Ping for winter break and this is one of the reasons.

I really liked the ease of use of the Freestyle, and it is probably a combo of the strips and different IOB calculation that the POD uses.

11. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I would report what you're seeing. Just because they aren't on the recall list now, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be.

12. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I did and they are overnighting us (I hope) a new PDM.

EDIT: Just arrived.

13. swellman

Ok, same here. When we switched A1c came back down and more aligned with the averages.