- advertisement -

Omnipod question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jlh0920, Mar 26, 2015.

1. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

Hello,
    We are relatively new to the Omnipod (3 months), and overall we really love it. However, we have started to have some extreme variability (even by diabetes standards!). It seems to follow this pattern: day 1 of pump, very sensitive site, will go low 1-2 times. Day 2: resistant site, may spend entire day high or borderline/high, requiring several corrections. Day 3: Site failure or repeat day 2. I am wondering if anyone has any insight into what possibly could be causing this? We do not tape over the Omnipod- I am also wondering if the cannula is "slipping" out of place (not sure if that's even possible?). Would taping over the pod help with this? We are at our wits end here lately with this unpredictability. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hi there. That does seem like a lot of variability. We've had wonky days, but there's usually an explanation. Where is the pod being worn? My daughter is a dancer, and on occasion, after intense practice, we've had the canula come out and she's gone high. We've also had pods that leak- actually have had quite a few of those. That will cause numbers that are high and don't come down with corrections.
    Also, what insulin are you using?

3. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

We do not tape over our pods, so perhaps that is not the issue.

My daughter wears the pods rotating all over her stomach, love handle, back, legs, and we are not experiencing the trouble you are currently having.

So sorry you are dealing with this, very frustrating.

4. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

"I am also wondering if the cannula is "slipping" out of place (not sure if that's even possible?)"

Yes, this is possible. It happened to us only once though. That was the day my daughter took a windsurfing lesson. We think she bumped the pod on the board one too many times, the cannula slipped out. The pod stayed in its place, so we didn't notice until she was in the 400's that afternoon. We saw the cannula was out, delivering insulin onto her skin.

If this happened, you can do a sniff check around the pod, and should be able to smell the insulin on the skin.

I don't think this would happen on a regular basis with normal use and wear.

5. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

About 6 months after we started the pod, we had a nasty run of bad sites (measured by resistant highs) and pod failures. We called all of them into Insulet even if there was no alarm. After we established this pattern for a few weeks, we called our sales rep, and she flew out to meet us to give us some additional pointers about site selection, insertion, placement, adhesion, etc. That conversation was either more thorough or it made more sense than the information we got at pump start (when there were two crying toddlers in the room!). So it might be worth reaching out to your rep for a refresher course.

Also, we typically get close to 3 days out of a pod, but there are families that routinely change sites every 48 hours. Might be another option to consider if you have the RX written for it...