- advertisement -

omnipod question - set change frequently

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by layla42, Dec 6, 2012.

1. layla42

layla42 Approved members

Hi all,

My DD Grace currently has an Animas 2020 pump, but the contract is up early next year and we want to change to a different one - mainly because there is no bluetooth connectivity between the handset and pump in the UK and she doesn't want to have to get it out every time she boluses.

So we are looking at the Omnipod.

We have been told that each pod lasts 3 days before being changed, and we can't change more often (except in emergency) or it won't be cost effective (costs are paid by the National Health Service).

On the Animas pump, Grace has to change her site every 2 days or it fails. We did try recently going 3 days between, and it worked for a couple of weeks but then they have just started failing after 2 and a half days again, so it looks like she can't go 3 days.

My question is, do you think she could go 3 days between changes with the Omnipod? Is there something different that would make it work (our diabetic nurse does not seem concerned at all and just said "change it every 3 days") - or would she have the same issue she has with the Animas, that she can't go 3 days?

She is 8 by the way.

Thank you for any help,

Layla xx

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

From personal experience I can't imagine why someone would need to change the pod every 2 days as opposed to every three with the exception of insulin needs and the limitation of the reservoir. I suppose that if a person has a fairly rare situation that causes site issues that it's possible. I'm not sure what would make the pod different that other sets - it has a plastic cannula. The bottom line is that I don't know why one would assume a pod would behave differently than another pump set but I don't have any personal experience with other pumps. Hopefully, someone with experience with both will chime in.

3. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

At first we were able to get 3 days from the pod all the time. Now some sites only last 2.5 days (50/50). She will be stuck in the 200's no matter how much insulin I give her.

Not sure how your medical programs works but can you buy the PDM out of pocket and then just get the program to pay for the sites. That way if it doesn't work out then you could get the program to purchase another pump.

4. Dan

Dan Approved members

We have always gotten 3 days + 8hrs from every Pod since we started using the Pods. You get an 8 hour grace peiod after day 3.

5. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

There are plenty of people that don't get the full 3 days out of the pods, same as any other pump. In fact it seems like there are more of them posting about this all of the time, or maybe it is just that since it is happening to us a lot more, I am paying more attention.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

well have you tried the "trial" pod, just to see if it will stick for the 3 days? I beleive that they are weighted to be like a full of insulin unit.

Have you tried different prep wipes that have added adhesive or tried the addition of a over wrap to help?

The good thing is that the pods are supposed to be getting smaller, someday.

7. KaseyK

KaseyK Approved members

We dont have any problems getting 3 days out of a Pod, except during summer when he's constantly swimming. There are plenty of people that have issues with certain infusion sets, so its not unlikely a different one or the pod might work differently for you.

Hope that helps

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Personally I can get about 48 hours from an infusion set for my minimed pump and I get the same from the omnipod before I start getting stuck in the 400s. I use the mio infusion sets which are probably similar to your animas ones.

I wonder though if your doctor could write the prescription so you could get enough pods. I know my insurance company covers 20 infusion sets per 30 days and considers the pods to be an infusion set essentially. If you were to get 20 for 30 days you would have more then enough for changing every other day and the random failures. But I don't really know how your healthcare system works I am afraid.

One other thought. If the issue is simply taking out the pump to bolus do you have access to either the accu-chek pump with the remote or the animas ping?

Hope that helps!

9. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

You just said you are having a hard time getting more than 2 days out of your sites for the pump you are on I would suspect you will have to change the omnipod after only 2 days as well. We are currently in the process of changing Jared to an animas ping from the pod because about 75% of the time we are needing to change out pods after just 2 days and it is no longer affordable. Plus since that insulin has been in the pod 2 days we have to throw it out. The ping has a remote is it not available to you?

10. Traci

Traci Approved members

We've always gotten three days plus the extra hours.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is true for us as well. Even in the summer when he's swimming daily. We wrap the pod and we only lost one swimming (and that's because it wasn't wrapped ;))

12. Ali

Ali Approved members

Try using a different insulin in your sets if you can. I get 2.5 days with Humolog or Apidra but three+ days with Novolog. That may not be your issue but it might be worth a try. ali

13. layla42

layla42 Approved members

Thank you for all the replies, that is really really helpful.

We can't get the Animas Ping in the UK because it uses the same frequency as the emergency services! So cannot be used over here.

I don't think we can try different insulin, everyone just has Novorapid (can't remember what it's called in the US) - though I could try asking.

We have to commit to whatever pump we choose for the next four years so I need to know in advance it will work! Omnipod did say we can do a 2 week trial.

The Accu Chek Spirit is also available here and most of the children in our town are on it (only 3 have the Animas - they were the smallest/youngest kids at the time when they got it - and 10 now have the Omnipod too but they are older ones). So we may end up going for that instead - just Grace liked the idea of the Omnipod (plus the Pump Peelz!).

We are in clinic next week so I will ask about what would happen if we changed the omnipod every 2 days, money-wise. I know each child has a certain budget we're allowed to spend and I have enough hassle about the number of strips I use, without adding to the stress by being in trouble over the pump too.

Thanks again for all your input,

Layla

14. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

The Pump Peelz are a major pita, and I certainly won't order them again.

15. layla42

layla42 Approved members

aha! that's good to know, i won't factor them into the decision then! :)

i spoke to the nurse today and the cost, if pods are changed every 2 days rather than every 3, is prohibitive.

not sure we have time to fit in a trial before we have to make the decision, as i also have a baby due in march. so might just go for the accu chek spirit as that is more cost effective (apparently!).

thank you for all your help again everyone, much appreciated

xxx