- advertisement -

Omnipod - Pod Failures Can Someone Please Explain

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by andiej, Feb 28, 2014.

1. andiej

andiej Approved members

Hi thanks for all your feedback in my thread about the Omnipod. I seem to go round in circles. I understand that Pod Failures seem to be the biggest issue. I understand that a few failing pods in one day and the need to replace that often would be pretty bad and you may as well be on MDI, however that doesn't seem to be the norm, it tends to be a few here and there. Can you explain to me what is the worst thing about the POD Failures. Is it the hassle of having to change pod on your child or is it the hassle of getting the pods changed by Insulet, wasted insulin or something else that I don't understand? Feel I fully need to understand the consequences of pod failures before making any decisions.

Thanks again to you all for your advice in helping me make this difficult decision for my son.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

For us, it's just the overall frustration as there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind them. We can have smooth sailing for months at a time and then have 3 in a day. Insulet is great about replacing the pods and yes there is wasted insulin, but if the pod is less than 24 hours old, we are able to extract most of it from the failed pod.

My son has been on the Omnipod for over 5 years now and he loves it. If you haven't already, I would suggest that you make an appointment with the different pump companies so that you can see them all in person and really "play" with them and discuss the different features.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

We haven't had a pod failure in quite a while - knock on wood. However, when it happens it seems to be at the worst time and maybe that's because it always a bad time for a failure. I think the worst thing about failures is the emotional toll it has on everyone and the tension it creates. The rest is just part of D management.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

This. It is just so frustrating.

Failures at school at so time-consuming. We both work thirty minutes from his school and we don't keep insulin there so we have to go home first. One of us has to leave work, drive thirty minutes home, drive fifteen minutes to school, get him back out of class, change his pod, drive back to work. It's an hour and a half, easy. Our bosses are good about it but I know it can be bothersome. And failures in the middle night are exhausting. CGM alarms that he's over 170, one of us gets up and does a correction, as we get back in bed, the squeal of death starts. Back up, deactivate, get a new pod ready, fight a sleeping boy to remove a pod and insert a new one. I did it in his sleep one time and it totally freaked him out and scared him. He made us promise we would never do that again so we get him up. Then, two hours later we have to wake up again because of the stupid "you changed your pod so you should check your bg" message.

5. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

For me it is the wasted insulin. Omnipod has replaced each pod without hassle, though it does take a little time. For my son, and although it hasn't happened yet, he dreads the squeal at a bad time. For example, during his tae kwon do class or perhaps during a play or at Church. So far, all failures have been at home. He is homeschooled, so w don't have the issue of pod failure at school. Still, it has been wonderful to have the pump and he would not consider a tubed pump. Overall, it, combined with the CGM has been beneficial. We just got it all in January, and I think right about that time, he is either growing, honeymoon is slowing, or both combined with learning the pump. Likely our numbers and A1C isn't as good as it was, but I'm hoping to work hard to see us return to better numbers.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  6. minniem

minniem Approved members

For us it's just the inconvenience of it. For my son, it seems like we get failures if he is outside and it is freezing cold. For some reason on him, they tend to fail on his arms more so than his upper bum. It also seems like they happen at the most inconvenient times...but that's diabetes in general to me. :wink:

It will be one year this March since we switched to Omnipod and we have no plans to switch back. It really is the best pump for him and gives my son the most sense of "normalcy" you can get from having diabetes. It makes eating much more stress free as he just has to push a few buttons to bolus from the PDM. We really like the remote feature better on the PDM vs. pulling the actual Medtronic pump out itself to bolus all the time.

I want to reiterate what the other posters said and see if you can check out all the pump companies and actual look and play with their demo pumps. We went to a "pump night" at our hospital and my son got to look at all the pumps. This really helped with our decision as we were pretty set on one pump, until we went and played with them all and he decided on a totally different one.

As far as replacing pods, that's not that difficult you just have to call them in. The wasted insulin stinks, and we don't draw it back out. I think officially they say you shouldn't so I personally do not.

Good Luck! :cwds:

7. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

For us it is the timing also. We have had to go to her school or other places she has been to bring her home and change the pod. One of the alarms said to call customer service and the PDM had to be reset. Her last failure was on a pod that was on for about 12 hours, and happened before I even had my eyes open in the morning. It was at the end of her bolusing, the 0.05 remaining issue. I don't understand how so many people have had this issue, and yet nothing is said when you call them in. Shouldn't this be a recall as well?

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Timing, frustration and inconvenience. Usually Happens as we are running late trying to get out the door for school or as she's getting out if the car. She's had a few at school which is annoying 1 because of annoying alarm and 2 missing class to rectify it.

We've had close to 60 failed pods now since this time last year with the new pods. Probably had 10 in 3 years on old pod! They supposedly rectified the situation but we got a new shipment this week. She put the first pod of the Shipment on on Wed morning before school. As soon as she put it on, it started alarming. The next one has been fine. It's very random but in the beginning, we had box after box of failures. Of course when you call Insulet, we are the only people experiencing this. :rolleyes:

This all sounds terrible I know. But in the end, she loves tubeless. Even with the failures, she has maintained an a1c of 6.7 or under for is last year. Puberty and all, so something must be right.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think my biggest frustration is the "squealing of the POD".

POD failures just feel so different than a alarm on another pump, the POD screams at you and has no manners about when it will do it. On other pumps I think most of the time you are seeing higher numbers and are trouble shooting, you can try to fix the issue.

For us 90% of the time the POD seemed to be working and then all of a sudden screams at you and you have to attend to it. It is such a waste, you can not try to fix anything when it is dead it is dead.

At least with tubed pumps you might just need to add insulin or change the site, you can ignore the alarm and try to trouble shoot.

My dd loved the Omni pod in theory, but the inconveniences of the failures and her not being able to change them by herself yet is a big issue.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think this was what was most jarring to us about the Pod too. On the one hand, I can appreciate the fact that you want to be alerted when your pump has died, but on the other hand, there is nothing you can do about the fact that it can just start squealing at any time. Like mmgirls said, on tubed pumps, you can disconnect, run some insulin through the tubing, just change the site, just change the tubing, etc., etc., etc. You can also put a tubed pump on vibrate, and even on an audible alert, no one is going to describe what it does as "screaming." But with the pod, it just shuts the mofo down and starts yelling at you about it.

Again, if you have an extra $199 laying around, I would check to see if Insulet is still offering Cut the Cord. If they are, I would 110% get a tubed pump and pay OOP for the pod.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

In order to do Cut the cord you would have to have ta tubed pump first then call Omnipod and do cut the cord program.

I am so glad we always had a tubed pump for a back up, and for when out of frustration I decided to switch her back to the tubed pump.

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

For us it's the bad timing/mental aspect of the failures. She's fine changing a pod every 3 days. But having to change it anytime before then just puts her over the edge. And ours go in cycles too. None for months and months, three in a week. They do replace them but it is a bit of a hassle to call in each one etc. I wish they had some sort of email system where you could just do an online form.

13. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

I don't even remember our last pod failure. DD usually ;) has an extra pod and a vial of insulin with her just in case.
    She LOVES the Omnipod and so do I :).

14. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

With the two pumps we have, we have the pod that screams with the intensity of a fire engine going through the room and then the Medtronic that doesn't alarm At. All. when the reservoir hits empty ---. It seems like the companies could hit a happy medium between the two extremes.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Or how about the Animas PING that loses IOB if you change the battery!

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh, God. I forgot about that. Yeah, what genius decided THAT was a good idea? Did they fix that with the Veo, I wonder?

I always found it annoying that you couldn't change a basal rate while you had a temp basal going, and there was something you couldn't do (can't remember what now) with an extended bolus going. You also couldn't do anything while a bolus was being delivered, so if I did a correction at 3am and wanted to do a temp basal too, I'd have to remember to do the temp first, or I was sitting around twiddling my thumbs while the bolus delivered.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  17. MomofSweetOne

Or the pod PMD itself that wipes out all programming if its battery goes dead. That one sent us back to Medtronic in the middle of the night! I wasn't in the mood to reprogram at 2 a.m.

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

wow... that takes the cake! I guess we were lucky to have never pushed it with the battery.

19. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

And you can't edit a temp basal. Even though it says "Set/Edit Temp Basal." Sometimes, when I am really sleepy in the middle of the night and trying to edit a temp basal without first canceling it, I think my pump is broken because it doesn't let me click it while a temp basal is going. I am still generally pleased with medtronic but this is one of the things that drives me crazy about their pump.

20. MomofSweetOne

I actually asked the company if it were corrected on the Veo last time I called to complain it had happened again. The person couldn't answer whether it was changed or not.

Two years in with lots and lots of temp basals of puberty, and I'm finally starting to remember to do the temp basal first, correction dose second.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: