- advertisement -

Omnipod or Animas Ping for Competitive Swimmers

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by bchardman, Sep 21, 2013.

1. bchardman

bchardman New Member

My daughter is 10 and was diagnosed 19 months ago with Type 1. She swims 8 times per week which is 20 hours in total, not counting meets. She will be going on a pump in January and we have narrowed it down to the Animas Ping or Omnipod (those two are covered by our Provincial Healthcare program in Canada). Any thoughts on which would be the better option as this is all new to us? We are leaning toward the Omnipod but are concerned about it staying on......

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter wore the Pod all summer, and the only times she had pods rip off were on waterslides. Both times she hadn't wrapped the pod with vet tape, so they probably could have been prevented. If your daughter swims that much, I would think the Pod would be easier for her to adjust/manage because you would just be reducing basal as needed rather than reconnecting and bolusing basal. Having the least bother with T1 becomes an important concern in the teen years.

Animas is advertised for being waterproof, but if it has a hairline crack in it, it will be fried, just like Medtronic. Pump failures are a hassle for dosing, etc. You either need to switch back to Lantus (and the doses don't covert exactly) or replace basal every two hours or so by syringe round-the-clock until the new pump arrives and is programmed. Neither option is fun. It is so much easier to slap a new pod on.

3. Gabriel Markson

Gabriel Markson New Member

My son wears a Omni pod and goes swimming quite frequently and we have only had positive experiences We heard from friends that thier Animas pump gets a hairline crack and gets friend they then have to replace it before they swim again which is a hassle