- advertisement -

omnipod - in warranty/out of warranty question please

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Jul 2, 2013.

1. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

We are absolutely on the border with being in or out of warranty on our Omnipod system. We asked for the conversion as soon as the FDA approved and were told to wait. We made contact today and provided them with updated insurance info. This insurance goes directly through insulet so there should be no delay however, our four year period is up very, very soon.

If they delay, we will have to buy the system, if they treat this fairly, we will qualify for the upgrade under warranty. The system was initially sent to us on 7/14/2009 - do you think the warranty is based upon the shipping date? received date or the date that we began using it?

Either way, I am hopeful that they will be honorable and not delay sending this so that we would be outside of the warranty.

Does anyone have any idea about when the warranty is based on.

Thanks for any advise.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I believe Medtronic treated the shipping date as our warranty date. It's definitely not the date you began using it. I would assume shipping date, because that's the only date the pump company really controls. But if you call Insulet and simply ask them, they should tell you.

3. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

if you made contact today they should mail it to you by fri latest.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

When I called last month, I actually thought I was still in warranty. I'd forgotten when we got it, but it was another 2 months before we started. They go by the ship date. I've been waiting for them to send me the new system for at least 2 weeks now because we had to go through all the paperwork again. When we first got it, it only took a couple of days.

The last I heard, even if you get it upgraded within the next 10 days (doubt it), it will only be covered under the remaining time on the warranty. So as soon as something goes wrong, you'll have to pay for a new one anyway.

ETA: And right now they're telling me there's a delay on the conversion side, so it might take another couple of weeks (in addition to the 3 I've already been waiting). So good luck.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  5. swellman

swellman Approved members

That makes sense.

For what it's worth and just for FYI I was told by Edgepark that they might have to reduce the shipment size of our new pods from 4 boxes to 3 in order to relieve supply issues with the new pod. The CSR also said that Insulet had stopped manufacturing the old pods.

Another interesting item was that I received some old pods as replacements a few months back and they had relabeled Canadian pods with US stickers and even had changed the lot number. I'm pretty sure that's not kosher.

6. danismom79

I would have reported that.

7. swellman

To what end?

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Once upon a time we used APlus and were sent Canadian insulin, which is illegal. It wasn't even covered up, lol. I returned it and requested US insulin, which they sent us (but not without attitude). I contacted Lilly, they took the information, and nothing came of it. I wouldn't be as concerned with pods as they aren't perishable. I still do wonder how that insulin got over the border without it being known. :confused:

9. danismom79

At least a fine??? LOT numbers are used for a reason. And maybe Insulet would have needed to know, in case there were some adverse event.

10. swellman

Yea, I'm not really interested in getting the company whose pump I rely on fined.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm assuming the replacement pods came directly from Insulet, so they would know. ;) And I have to agree with Swellman here -- it's not worth it.

12. danismom79

I thought you got them from Edgepark, and I thought that's who relabeled them. I don't deal with 3rd parties, so I don't know what comes from where.

13. swellman

No, these were old pods from Insulet. Edgepark doesn't replace defective pods AFAIK.

14. danismom79

FYI, I just got a box of old pods to tide us over until I finally get my almost month-old order of the new system, and they were manufactured last month. They seem to be running low on the new ones (again), so it seems they'll still be making the old ones until they catch up.

15. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

We are out of warranty too. Didn't realize it until we received a shipment of old pods when they had already sent an email stating we were getting the new system with our next order. I guess they saw that we were out of warranty and shipped the old style to hold us over until the new system can go through insurance, which they said will take a few weeks. I requested that they do a return on this shipment because we still have a 3 month supply and I want the new ones as soon as insurance approves.

16. moco89

moco89 Approved members

This is sure a PR disaster for Insulet. Insulet sure does not have the logistics down. They should be disappointed and frustrated with themselves.