- advertisement -

Omnipod/Freestyle Test Strips to be exchanged

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Mar 11, 2014.

1. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I had this exact same set of calls with Walgreens mail order when the recall was first announced. I had to convince the pharmacist that there was a recall and she kept referring to one last year so I finally gave her the website and waited while she read it. Then I explained about how a PDM works and why we can't replace it - and that they aren't suggesting it be replaced. We went back and forth a few times and I eventually said to just skip DS's shipment. I ordered DD's and figured I'd call back in a few weeks and try again. When the 400 strips came in the mail I saw that the strips were different (not the Lites) and had a different code on the bottle, but I'm not sure how to get them to fill the script with those. I figured I'd need a more specific prescription from the endo because Walgreens wouldn't acknowldge a difference. Since we have 400 to work through, I'm in no hurry and figured I'd give them some time.

In the meantime, half our vials have pink duct tape wrapped around them so my daughter can use up the Lites and the other half are untaped so my son doesn't use them. Having them on two almost identical but not the same strips is a PITA. If getting my son to carry a separate meter was a battle I was more willing to fight, I'd give up on Freestyle and switch them both. It's such a mess.

And, for the record, we haven't received anything via UPS or any follow up calls. Just that first FedEx notice and that was only for one kid.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yea .... no. I think it's a healthy mistrust.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yah at this point we will not be using the PODs we have nor the strips.
    This system can benefit someone else.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

For those that have received a letter or phone call; how do you think you were contacted?

I am just wondering how they have messed this up so badly? I mean we were only on the POD for a short time, and by all means they should believe that we are current users.

We had a higher A1c after starting with the POD, and my mommy heart says that a lot of it has to do with " strips that read lower" , do I need prove that, no. But I can not feel good about the system for those that do not know of the issue and are in the dark, still.

You should have seen the moms face a few days ago when I told her! Her reaction was, how am I supposed to know! I am not online!

There is a difference between choosing to stay with the system when knowing there have been issues, compared to blindly going with it beacause you don't know. ( please excuse my use of "blindly", I acknowledge that I have no other words to express my feelings at this time)

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I call Abbott a few times a year for control solution and called them a few months ago for a backup meter to keep at school in case the PDM flakes. But you would think the mailing list would be generated by Insulet (even though it was mailed from Abbott) so I don't have a clue.....

6. swellman

We're still loving the Pods ...

7. swellman

In all honestly, in this day and age, there's really no excuse not to know unless one chooses to live off the grid.

8. minniem

minniem Approved members

We were never contacted about this issue by phone, letter or email. The only way I knew of the recall was being on this board and looking around. We did receive our first shipment of 400 strips and started to use them, but now have switched. This whole thing left me not really trusting the strips and looking back my son's A1C has been a little higher since starting to use the Omnipod a year ago. So we just had our endo appointment and asked to switch to One Touch Verio IQ. My son really likes the look of the new meter (he thinks the color screen is really cool) and it does read higher than our Omnipod did when I compared them. As much as my son would like to just use the Omnipod for the convenience of it, the One Touch Verio IQ is small enough he just puts it in his Omnipod case and inputs his BG for boluses.

As far as our pharmacy (Target) they too were not aware of any recall until I told them about it. They kept trying to fill our script with the old strips. Then they stated it was only certain lot numbers but after I explained it was all the strips and they looked it up on their computer they said ok. But they had no idea how to get the newer strips. So I just got tired of dealing with it. That was another reason I switched. And we've been thinking of the Verio IQ for a while so this finally pushed us to change.

9. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

We have also never been contacted. While DS doesn't use the POD, we had over 1,000 test strips that we occassionally used in the other meter that came with his startup kit. I learned about the recall through a T1D Facebook group and then read further about it here. They replaced the first 400 and on Tuesday we got the second delivery from UPS asking us to send ALL the strips and they would send us the rest, minus the 400 they already replaced.
    I dont know why it is so hard for a company to pull up their database and notify all customers within the prior 24 months. I don't even think it was necessary to use Fed-Ex, but maybe that's an FDA requirement (because they required a signature?).
    Anyway, we had hopes of DS *maybe* using the PODS during the summer for swimming and the beach, but I know we won't be using the PDM to check his blood sugar if he does.

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We order our pods directly though insulet and we got the Fedex letter when everyone else seems to. You'd think that since they JUST upgraded all of their users in the last 6 months to the new system they'd have fairly current contact information for all of their customers.

And I have called Abbott in the past to get back up meters since you can't buy them anymore.

12. swellman

When I checked the mail today I found a 3 page letter from Abbott via Edgepark regarding the PDM and the other 2 meters.

Funny.

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

I received the same letter today and we haven't used Edgepark in over 3 years, lol.

14. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We received a mailing from Edgepark today; it enclosed similar letters from Abbott and Insulet.

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

I received my 800 replacement strips by FedEx today, all with an expiry of 08/2015. :)