- advertisement -

OmniPod Failure Help!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by gorajekd, Oct 1, 2013.

1. gorajekd

gorajekd New Member

My 4 year old son has been on the NEW OMNIPOD for about 3 months and we are really struggling with POD failures. Failures total upwards of 20, yes 20, which is a nightmare since they fail at daycare, grandparents, on vacation, etc, not to mention having to re-poke a four year old even more than he needs to. What's interesting is that although we do have a small number of occlusion and site issues, the vast majority of our failures are during a bolus and ALWAYS occur with "0.05 units remaining". My wife has spent COUNTLESS hours on the phone with OMNIPOD (and lots of time on hold) but just haven't had any luck root causing our problem. We are on the verge of completely giving up the POD, which is a bummer because our son loves the tubeless pump, but the failure rate is simply to high. I thought I would see if anyone has experienced this failure mode, and/or had any suggestions. Bad lot numbers? Manufacturing/shipment dates? Etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Search omnipod and you will find lots of discussion here on exactly what you're mentioning.

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

That seems to be happening to everyone on the new pods

4. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We experienced this. We had one of the bad lot numbers. Since getting out newest shipment, it's much better. In the bad lot, every single pod failed. The lot number was 40725 but there are others that are bad as well.

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Not everyone.

There are many complaints about the same problem. I think some lots are worse than others.

6. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Not everyone :)! My DD just started the 3rd box and we had one bad pod (error while priming). We're lucky, I guess :rolleyes:.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

Not everyone - we're finishing up our second box of new pods without any issues. (I sure hope I didn't just jinx us, lol! ;) )

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Not everyone - we've had 2 I think ... maybe 3.

9. Dan

Dan Approved members

We are another family who has not had issues. Only 2 pod failures since we started the new pods, which was 3 days after the release.

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We have not seen this issue either and she has gone through at least 4 boxes. That is the problem with message boards. People see that a few people are having issues, and they think it is everyone. I think that we got lucky and the shipments did not contain any of the bad boxes, if that really was the issue.

11. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We've been using the new pods since May 1 and have had only a few failures as well.

Is Omnipod going to swap out your entire shipment? It seemed like others were experiencing the issues with a few lot numbers.

12. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I am finding that pods manufactured July or later are ok and the sensitivity issue was fixed....if anyone has any information contrary to this please post!

13. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We just had a bent cannula, Lot 40567, manf. date August 2013.

14. danismom79

Was it bent when you took the plastic piece off? If not, that's not a pod issue, that's just one of those things that can happen with non-steel cannulas.

15. ksartain

We couldn't see the cannula when we took the plastic piece off. We assume it bent upon insertion (9:00 last night) because his bg crept up slowly overnight, then quickly once he woke up, peaking at 376 at school. The school nurse gave him a unit of insulin to bring it back down. I had to go to his school and put on a new pod. When we took the old one off, the cannula was bent. I called Insulet and they are sending a new one. I explained it's only our 3rd pod and I wasn't sure what I needed to do, but that Edgepark told me to call them if we ever had any issues with the pods. The lady at Insulet said she would send me a new one and asked me to send the old one back.

16. danismom79

I think they must be overly cautious at this point (or that was just a courtesy), because really, things like bent cannulas, pods falling off, and legitimate occlusions are what would fall under user error. Sometimes we just hit bad spots.

The only ones I've ever called in were ones that failed during priming, ones I couldn't fill, non-occlusion deactivations, needles that didn't retract, non-beepers, and one that didn't push out insulin during priming (and subsequently never did). Those are problems with the pod itself.

17. ksartain

You're probably right. :) But I'll take it. I don't understand how a bent cannula would be user error. This is our first pump and we've been on it less than a week. We're still working out the kinks (ha ha) and learning as we go.

18. danismom79

It can happen if there isn't enough fat in the area you put the pod. My daughter has gotten them when I put pods too close to a spot where she had fatty deposits, which is why it's important to rotate.

19. ksartain

That sucks. Chris is so scrawny we will probably have a hard time finding enough fat to put them anywhere. :(

Thanks for the advice. We pinched the surround area when we put it on. I hoped that would be enough. I guess we'll avoid arms for a while. They may be puffy still from MDI.