- advertisement -

Omnipod + Dexcom + Swimming

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rgcainmd, May 30, 2014.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'd like to hear from parents whose children use an Omnipod and Dexcom and who swim frequently. Specifically, I'd like to hear where your child wears both devices and, based on the location where your child wears each device, what you use to keep the devices on and functioning (especially in water).

Our specifics: My daughter, Tiki, is 11 years old (will turn twelve on July 24). She's been using a Dexcom for 28 glorious days now and has only worn it on her tummy and lower back/upper hips (where does the lower back end and upper hip begin I often wonder). She has found each and every insertion painless, so we are not adverse to moving the Dexcom to other locations; we just haven't gotten around to trying other real estate yet. Tiki will start to pump with the Omnipod in 4 days. (First two days are a saline start. What is the point of a two-day saline start? I'd certainly like to know...What exactly am I going to learn in two freaking days that will reduce the likelihood of me accidentally overdosing my child and/or allowing her to drift silently into DKA? Don't get me wrong, I am not wanting a longer saline start. I'd like to skip this b¥LL$£!+ waste of a pod completely, but our com-pre-hen-sive diabetes team seems to take a perverse amount of pleasure in pissing me off. Which is why we have an appointment with the new diabetes team in 19 days:glee: I digress.). My daughter and I are both pretty darn flexible and open to suggestions, so fire away and thank you in advance for your tips and advice!

Rose

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Anywhere your kid wants to wear it :)

My son wears his Dexcom on his arms exclusively. He rotates left to right and high to low. With 1-2 weeks per sensor (lower average because of summer), it's enough time to heal up between wears. He wears his pods on his belly. He rotates left to right and moves the site around each time. We've never had luck with the pod going anywhere but arms and belly and since he saves arms for the Dex...well, it makes the belly the only spot. We use extra adhesive and also tape both down.

The water, both pool and ocean, aren't problems most of the time. He loses more to sweat than anything else, then soap/showers. Swimming is so much easier than either of those things!

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Mine wears her omnipod on the backs of her arms. She has only ever worn them there and refuses to try anywhere else. When swimming we just wrap her arm with vet tape. If we don't wrap they tend to start pulling up on the edges and get loose.

Her dexcom she wears on her lower back/love handles. We put oposite on that when we do the insertion. That seems to hold it fine in the water. She goes swimming a few times a week but she's not constantly in the pool so others may have better strategies. The one thing we have done is to take the dexcom off when she goes to the beach so it doesn't get lost in the ocean. If a pod falls off in the ocean it's not such a big deal.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I pointed out to my daughter this afternoon that if her sensor were on the opposite arm from her Pod, the CGM could be reading her while she was playing in the pool. It wasn't taken well, so I don't expect it to be moving. She'll just have to test frequently on swim days. It's not worth the battle if it's important to her.

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

My DD rotates the Omnipod between the left and right sides of her bottom, belly, and back of her arms. When we started pumping, I used to cover the pod with Tegaderm and at times use Vetwrap on her arms. However, we have found that she really doesn't need to. She swims with the pod on and has not had it come off from swimming.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

When Podding we rotated only when timing was off, meaning that I would have to remove something.

If the other arm was not available then it was the top of the booty or the thigh where ever hand naturally falls and there is a bit of "tissue"

We tried the top of booty/ love handle but was never ever able to get them to last, even with "touch your toes" stretching of the skin, my oldest is just too actively bendy!

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

My son started competitive swimming this last school year and we kept the Dexcom on the abdomen and the pod on the unused side of the abdomen and the back "love handles". We never had one come off during swimming except one where he scraped it on the side getting out. We didn't use additional tape after the first week.

8. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We use opsite on Dexcom as soon as we put it on. We use opsite on the pod if Chris is going to be in the water. We live at the beach, so I'm not taking any chances with the salt water. And shells. And sand. And then chlorine for the pool swim after the beach.

We rotate Dexcom on stomach and butt. Pods go on legs, stomach, arms, and butt.

The opsite has done a great job in keeping the devices on him. We haven't lost one yet, including one 4 hour beach trip, where he spent 75% of the time in the water.

9. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Same here. We use Opsite Flexifix to secure the CGM adhesive, and nothing on the pod. Both stay one fine during swimming, although if it will be for several days, you might need flexifix to secure the pod adhesive too.

10. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

What size of the Opsite do you get for the Omnipod? I just looked online, and saw that the Opsite comes in all different sizes.

11. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We don't get readings at all while he's in the water, no matter where we have the sensor.

12. Amzanderson

Amzanderson Approved members

The first shower my daughter took with her dexcom it fell off. I have the Iv prep, opsitie and unisolve on order. It can't get here soon enough. We both LOVE her Dexicom, so we were a little sad it couldn't last thru one shower with the adhesive that came with it.

13. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

This was exactly what we experienced the first time. It's been Opsite Flexifix since, and no more problems.

14. MotherGoose68

MotherGoose68 New Member

Does anyone use Opsite Flexifix over the top of the Dexcom?
    Does anyone put it underneath, and then attach the Dexom on top?
    Do both ways work?
    My 13yr old finds the Omniod and Dexcom sites make him itch, so am Looking for alternatives (and ways of stopping the Dexcom G6 from falling off)
    Thanks for any ideas….. ;-)