- advertisement -

Omnipod Cut the Cord

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, May 14, 2014.

1. dshull

dshull Approved members

We have the Ping and are very happy with it. Our son (and we) want to get the Omnipod through cut the cord and use it for the summer. I am thinking it will eliminate all of the unhooking, catch up bolusing, taking off for amusement park rides, etc. Except our endo's office is reluctant to write the script for it. It is not one of the options that they offer their patients, and they are not contacted with them for training, so all training would go through Omnipod. Fine by me. They claim that when they did have a contract with Omnipod, their patients had all kinds of adhesion problems, pods failing, falling off, etc. And that one patient had a pod fall off in the middle of the night and then they woke up in the morning in DKA. (hard to imagine, because don't they alarm?)

I am feeling like they are basing their opinions on old information. I know people sometimes have these issues but I am willing to spend my own $199 and if it totally sucks, no problem, I'm out $199 and we'll go back to the Ping (which we would do in the fall anyway).

Can anyone offer an opinion here? We love our CDE and NP but overall I am not as impressed with the practice - they seem slow to adopt new technologies. We are equidistant to another children's hospital so it's not like we don't have options. My goal with getting the Omnipod is to have diabetes intrude on his life the least this summer. He is an active kid on the swim team who is in the pool and playing all day. The Omnipod seems the best way to do this for the summer.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Omnipods do not alarm when here is an occlusion so yes a person could go into DKA if it fell off in their sleep. We love our pods but they do have issues. Our Endo supports us but has told us more than once that we're his only patients who have been successful with it.

That said, as you pointed out, if it's worth it to you to pay out of pocket to give it a go why not? We had basic pump training through the hospital but a nurse from Omnipod came to the house to do the actual Omnipod training. We do have issues in summer with them falling off if she does a lot of pool time, vet wrap seems to easily solve the problem.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

My endo hates insulet/omnipod but was willing to sign the prescription. Insulet has contracts at least in my area with CDE/NPs who do the training. Though you probably don't need any training. I only went because I could not get them to stop calling me about it.

Yeah, the pods can fall off but so can a normal pump site. With the dex you will catch a high before there is a risk of DKA anyway if a pod does fall off. I really don't like the pods (or insulet as a company) but for your situation with swim team it probably does make the most sense. I do use the pods in the summer for waterskiing and swimming but use my tubed pump (which I like much more) the rest of the time.

4. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

You might ask the practitioners about how recent these experiences were. Since transitioning to the new smaller pods, we've seen markedly fewer pod failures, both in unexplained high bgs and in alarms. We received the new pods starting about 7 or 8 months ago, and I think we've only had a couple of bad pods since then.

As for adhesion issues, we have had very few, even when we were using the prior generation and dealing with lots of pod failures. We always put hypafix over the pod, and when we know that DD will be swimming, we apply Skin Tac before placing the pod. That combo has served us very well.

And I agree with Megnyc that the Dex will help you catch any spiking bgs before they get to DKA territory.

5. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

We just started on the OmniPod. We are very happy with it. This is the only pump we know, so can't compare to others. The Omnipod is my 10-year-old's first choice, because it has no tubing, and she can swim and shower with it. We love it.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I am hoping that these exact same words will be coming from my mouth come June 5!

7. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We absolutely love ours. We have only had 6 pod failures in 8 months. If you want more info, let me know. I am happy to share.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

This is exactly why we Cut-the-Cord. Last summer I missed the Medtronic greatly, but the pod was nice for summer. She wore Medtronic all winter. When she started wearing the pods again, we were going through the bad batches that were sent out in early fall. Once we got those replaced, the pod has been good. I will greatly miss the multiple basals when she goes back to Medtronic in the fall again. The part she doesn't like about the pod is having to find the PDM when she wants to bolus; it's more convenient to be attached at that point!

With having the Dexcom, you're not going to have any more DKA problems than with any other pump. The pod usually alarms for occlusion problems. Our Medtronic doesn't.

The only adhesion problems we've had is the way her skin was ripping off when she literally went through 4 pods in 2 days.

When did they have a contract with Omnipod? Just wondering because we were warned about nasty post-pod highs, but they haven't happened. I think things changed with the newer pods.

9. dshull

dshull Approved members

When did they have a contract with Omnipod? Just wondering because we were warned about nasty post-pod highs, but they haven't happened. I think things changed with the newer pods.[/QUOTE]

They haven't had a contract for at least the last 2-3 years, so I think it has been awhile. They have a 45 day return policy, so to me, it's worth it to give it a try. I am confident enough in my D care abilities to know if something isn't working and to throw in the towel.

I do have a question about how well the pods stay on for three days - we can leave dexcom in for up to two weeks with only some opsite tape, and can usually get a week out of the sensor using only the sensor tape before we have to reinforce. Would we need to reinforce from the beginning? I am counting on only getting two days because he is in the pool and wears sunscreen everyday, but hopeful I could make to three days just to make life easier.

Thanks for all of your responses - I am pretty sure that this is worth a go, but the pushback I got from the endo's office really surprised me.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We don't reinforce the pod at all, and it is still stuck tight at the 3-day mark. We bought vet tape to wrap around her arm for things like the waterpark/water slides at camp, etc. that she forgot and didn't seem to have needed. (I'd still do it just in case if it were with us!)

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We found that the adhesive that sticks to the skin is very strong. We never needed to reinforce that. But my son constantly knocked the pods off of the top of the adhesive, so we had to overtape that.

12. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Pay very, very close attention to the 45 day return policy. It starts the day they ship the product, not the day you receive it. Also, if you call in with problems they will tell you to keep trying. Do NOT let it get past the 45 days if you decide you want to return it, no matter how many times you speak to them. We were at 13 phone calls and 51 days and they refused to take it back.

13. cococay

cococay Approved members

You would think cut the cord is exactly the patient to have try omnipod. A pump experienced family with a ready and waiting working and in warranty pump at the ready. I would point out that your family could be a good opportunity for the endo office to gain some experience with the newer pods as they will likely have a patient come in some day who has an Omni, and inevitably have other patient(s) push hard for it as well. Why not take this opportunity to learn more and see what's changed or hasn't and then have more recent info for all their patients. A lot better than having a relatively newly dx'd new pumper push and try it and have issues.