- advertisement -

Omnipod Customer Service

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, May 21, 2015.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We got the Omnipod through Cut-The-Cord for summer use. My daughter has been wearing it more than the Medtronic recently, though that is probably going to be changing due to the HORRIBLE customer service experiences when we have to call in failed pods.

Last time I called, I was told that we only get hours credited for how much time was left on the failed pod and that when the hours add up to 3 days, then they'll replace a pod.

Yesterday my daughter had TWO failed pods. I called them in this morning and was told they were expired and that I'm endangering the life of my child by having her wear expired medical devices. The box says 2015 05. There are still 9 more days in May. Their SYSTEM says they expired May 1st. How are we as parents supposed to know a date they don't give? And to accuse me of endangering my child's life is beyond low.

Not only that, I'm tired of the HUGE amount of insulin loss that we're going through. Our buffer stockpile is disappearing at a rapid rate. Yesterday's failures alone equal at least 1/3 of a vial of insulin. We only get 4 vials per month. They have a system for replacing insulin, but when you learn the hoops, it doesn't cover people like us that get three months through mail order. Why should we have to have more hassles anyway because of a poor quality product?

If you are considering purchasing a pump, the ONLY way I would ever get Omnipod is through Cut-The-Cord. I would NEVER want this as the solo pump.

2. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

"Last time I called, I was told that we only get hours credited for how much time was left on the failed pod and that when the hours add up to 3 days, then they'll replace a pod. " I don't think this is true... I sure hope not. I only called them 2 or 3 times to replace failed pods, they have never said anything about adding up the failed hours, and have always just replaced them for me.

Sorry you received such horrible service from them!

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

It sounds like a completely different company than the one I deal with. I have always received replacements for reasonably failed pods with only the normal questions asked. On the other hand I do not call in pods that scream 2 1/2 days in. For transparency I'm a Insulet Fanboi.

"We only get 4 vials per month." That's our 3 month supply. What's the "Scratch Head" emoji?

4. Brhodes

Brhodes Approved members

That's the opposite of what we've encountered. They've replaced the pods without much hassle. We had 3 out of 5 fail in a box and they sent a shipping container to send the entire box back and replaced it. I do agree with the insulin part. They could do a much better job of streamlining that process.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

If it makes you feel any better the pods that expired 5/2015 were the least reliable pods I ever used. They would have shipped August/September 2013 so before Insulet fixed the sensitivity issue that I believe was causing most of the failures. I got insulet to replace 3 of the boxes of the 5/2015 pods I had after speaking to multiple supervisors but I still had a few boxes they did not replace. I actually used one of them the other day and it failed. I think if you order new pods you will probably be pleased. It really was the ones that shipped late summer and early fall of 2013 that had most of the issues. If you are still using them then that might explain why you have had so many failures.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Good catch, Meg! The box was manufactured in 11-2013. Now we're on a box from 2-2014.

Tonight was our 3rd pod error in two days. Completely different customer service experience than yesterday and this morning. The young man was polite and helpful. He didn't tell me I was endangering my child, mention the pod being expired, simply said a new one would be mailed at the beginning of the month. Then he re-explained the reimbursement system. I asked how many pod errors I've reported thus far. 28 (and more escaped before calls got made). Note: My daughter wore the pod the summers of 2013 & 2014 and part time this winter, the rest of the time she has worn her Medtronic. He thinks we should be able to get reimbursement because of how many, many errors we've dealt with thus far. However, I am expected to submit the reference number for each and every pod error as well as the amount of insulin remaining in the pod at the time of failure. How on earth am I supposed to do that? The PDM doesn't say amount left, so I'm expected to know how much I put in the pod at time of fill, subtract all basal and bolus insulin from then until the failure. For 28 pods? And as a T1D parent, I have no other pressing things that need my attention like carb-counting, etc.? Who comes up with these ridiculous policies that appear to be created to avoid taking any responsibility for their defective product? Anyway, I have a request in that a managerial staff person print out or email a list of the pod error reference numbers so that I didn't have to write each and every one down. The customer service people can't do that.

Sigh. There are days MDI sounds appealing. Then I remember how much I LOVE temp basals and different basal rates, and how much better quality of life in general is. The Medtronic isn't out of the drawer, only due to kayaking plans this weekend. I wonder how loudly pod screams echo over the water? It might quickly end up among the fishes.:pirate:

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

That's really odd. I have never, ever been asked how much insulin was left in a pod and I would have to say that's an unreasonable request.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm sorry you're going through this. As you know we had similar issues and ended up switching to the tSlim mid-warranty. Unless you're going through it, no one really knows what it's like. Hope things turn around for you guys!!

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Nothing unusual about that. My daughter uses 4 vials a month and my son uses 3. Kids need what they need.

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

So, so true. I think of it as a bell curve...there is that huge amount of people with typical success with anything, then there are those people at the extremes...either a terrible time with something or a practically perfect time. It happens with anything, including pumps. With our Medtronic, I think I was in the middle - never had any big issues but never had anything fabulous. With OmniPod, I felt like posterchild for unhappy and disgruntled users. With T:Slim, it's been all sunshine and roses. So, like Caspi, I feel your pain!

11. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

What in the what? I have never had them tell me that about credited hours I a pod!??? I call pods in every few months for 4 years and I've never had that experience. I'm sorry you encountered that. I've never had an issue with their customer service.

12. dshull

dshull Approved members

Just want to chime in and say that I feel your pain. We have had the ping for almost two years and last year got Omnipod through cut the cord. Our motivation was that our son swims all summer long and it is such a pain to unhook and rebolus missed basal, etc. We had much the experience that you describe and by July 4th I was so done with it and went back on the ping. We ended up going back later in the summer and had a better experience. But I would still never want Omnipod as our primary pump. School's out in three weeks and we will probably try again and I'll keep my fingers crossed. We have never had problems with the ping that required many calls to customer service so I don't have a good reference there. I can only compare to dexcom, who so kindly and happily replaces every failed sensor with so few questions and so many apologies. The pod is great in theory and when it works, it is nice to not to have to unhook (plus their PDM is better than the ping remote) but we also wasted so much insulin and had so many highs it drove me nuts.

I will say that they never asked me how much insulin was left when they failed. Good point - we have 5 million other things to deal with, who could possibly keep track of that?!?

The things we deal with to make our kids happy! Hang in there.

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

They will only ask you how much insulin you have left if you are asking them to reimburse you for what you have lost. I'm pretty sure no one does this, and they count on it. Thanks to the op, because I was beginning to be tempted to get a box of pods just in case she wanted to try them again for part of the summer. Sounds like things are better, but still not great by any means with Insulet. We will be sticking with the tSlim and the Contact Detach sets that have both been so reliable. Haven't had to call Tandem in a long time, but their customer service is stellar.