- advertisement -

Omnipod Conversion to New System

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Kathy, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

So we are still on the old pods and PDM. We get our supplies from a DME provider through the insurance. I sent my contact person an email to place my standard monthly order of pods and Dexcom sensors. She sent me an email back saying they no longer are able to get the old pods from the supplier and that they are only shipping the new pods. I called Omnipod and could only get a recording in regards to those that are getting the new pods from a distributor, but don't have the PDM. I had to leave a message with our information and they will ship out the PDM.

Has anyone else had this experience? How long did it take to receive the PDM after you left your information? We have one box of old pods left and my daughter is going to Diabetes Camp next week. I don't necessarily want to put the new system on her for camp, but I would like to know how quickly we'll have the new PDM in hand since we are down to our last 10 old pods.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We get ours directly from Omnipod so they came together. From what I've been reading if you go through a third party supplier they are supposed to notify Omnipod when they ship you the new pods and Omnipod sends the PDM. However that doesn't seem to be automatically happening for a lot of folks and they've had to wait to receive the new pods, then call in the lot number off the box to Omnipod (proving you have them) and they'll send out the PDM.

This whole rollout has been kind of a gigantic mess.

3. Mom2Kathy

A mess is right...we waited all this time just to let it all settle down before I made the call to figure out how to upgrade. My distributor said they were filling orders for the old pods just last week. Now today they are only able to get the new ones. You would think that Omnipod, the supplier, or someone would have warned them that there was a "drop dead" date on stocking the old pods.

I just hope my message is getting to someone and not just sitting in an inbox somewhere. :(

4. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

OK, I was the biggest fan and I'm not the complainer, but today I HATE Insulet! I've been on the phone the whole day trying to order the pods! At this point I don't even care- new or old ones. We have three pods left and need to change tonight. Even left them the message, but nobody called me back :mad:.

5. Traci

Traci Approved members

We go through a different provider, too. I had to have the new pods in hand before Insulet would ship the new pdm. They verified the code number on the box. They sent the pdm that very day and I got in in two or three days. They offered to overnight it (at my expense), but that wasn't necessary.

6. Diana

Diana Approved members

Here is what I did about two weeks ago:

Our distributor couldn't send old pods, so I had them send me a box of new pods. The distributor was aware of the new PDMs but had no idea how I was supposed to get one... she said they had no system in place to notify Insulet.

So I called Insulet. I wanted to speak to an actual person, so I selected the option that I was having a problem with the system. I explained to the customer service rep that I could only get new pods, but I didn't have the new PDM. He asked for the lot number of the new pods, verified it, and then transferred me to someone in the "right" department. This person again verified the lot number, and I had the PDM the next day with no extra shipping charge.

Other than being on hold for a *really* long time (which the first customer service rep warned me about), the whole thing really was very quick.

7. mom3pt

mom3pt New Member

I have been a long-time reader on this site but have not posted previously.

I have 2 type 1 sons, 12 and 9. Both have been Omnipod users for about 3.5 years. Up until now, we have been very satisfied. In fact, have felt that customer service has been outstanding.

We get our pods from an outside vendor and were told to reorder and request the new pods if they were available. I called in a reorder the first week of July and received the new pods within 2 days. The vendor said that they would coordinate with Insulet. I called back to Insulet later that week to give them the lot number and was told to expect the new PDMs within a few days of receiving the pods

Long story short, the PDMs have finally arrived today -July 30th. We had no call, no email, no notification that there would be such a delay. With two very active podders in the home, we have had a very stressful month trying to make sure we didn't use up our 10 remaining old pods. We are finding this conversion process to be very stressful to say the least. We have our fair share of pod alarms, ripped out pods from normal "boy" activity, etc. and have had to modify vacation plans, call the local rep to overnight us more old pods (after calling in the past two failures and requesting replacements be sent ASAP and being told there were no old pods available), and spend countless hours "on hold" trying to reach someone at Insulet. I am sure hoping that our pod changes in the next two days make the conversion to the new system without incident!

I just wish that we had been given more notice that there was such a delay in ordering so that I could have initiated the "new pod" order sooner to give us more breathing room. In 3.5 years, we have never had a delay or been given misinformation by an Insulet rep on the phone. I sure hope that this pattern does not continue!

Hoping for the best in the next few days...

8. Mom2Kathy

Good news! I never heard back from Omnipod today, but after seeing that some of you had to verify that you had the pods in hand first, I told my DME person that I will have to get the pods before I can get the PDM shipped. She told me the pods shipped yesterday, and that an Omnipod rep was in her office today. She told her about my issue, and that I was upset, and the Omnipod rep is overnighting a new PDM to me. We should get it tomorrow. The pods showed up today - boy are they small! - and hopefully we'll see the PDM on the porch tomorrow.

My next issue is whether we should use the new system when she is at camp next week. Not sure if I want to take the chance or not. She is excited to use it though, and I can't say as I blame her. Our next scheduled pod change is tomorrow, then it would be Saturday and she leaves for camp on Sunday. She'd only be on her second new pod when she leaves.