- advertisement -

OMG - 1 box of Lantus pens $340.93

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Jun 16, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I had no idea what retail was! I mean I knew it would be a couple of hundred but over 300 really?

Thankfully there was enough on the Health savings card to cover it.

I sure hope the darn claims go thru on the Dexcom and Accu-Chek to eat up the rest of our high deductible, because at least that we can finance.

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'm shocked, but not surprised, if that makes any sense. May you (and everyone else) reach their deductible soon and as painlessly as possible!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

our only saving grace is that she only receives part of her basal via Lantus and this should be at least a 5 month supply!

5. rgcainmd

Once again, it's all about the money: more for them, less for us...

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Sadly, I'm not surprised.
    We use Levimere and were the lucky recipients of sample boxes from our endo, so we have 5 and they are good through mid-2015. We will be using it for untethered this summer.

7. kvnc

kvnc Approved members

We pay $120 with insurance.

8. Toterra

Toterra Approved members

It really isn't $340... that is just the BS math used by the US medical system. Here in Canada, before insurance, it is about $100. The reason it is so high for you is that it makes you chew up your entire deductible faster. The insurance company gets at last $240 bucks back of that $340. This way they make a lot of money off you from your deductible, plus your premiums, before they start spending money on you.

So really... just assume the deductible is part of the premiums unless (and this won't apply to many in this group) you are not going to use up all of the deductible.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

just finished a couple of sample boxes from endo, but she wants to go back to untethered too for summer!

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes but if I were to have not had any insurance, I could not get it for any cheaper.

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Would you rather the pharmaceutical companies don't make money and go out of business? Then you would have to manufacture your own insulin.

12. rgcainmd

This is absurd.

There is a big difference between pharmaceutical companies making enough money to stay in business along with making a healthy profit versus greedily gouging health insurance companies and consumers.

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

Meh, I think they can all be guilty of gouging - insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, doctors.......

14. rgcainmd

You got this right! Of course, I've got to disagree with you a bit about the doctor part...;)

15. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Thanks for being mature about it.

16. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members