- advertisement -

ok .. pleeeease help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by arggggg, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

LOL! After I hit the post button I thought about you. :eek: Absolutely not!! Bootiequeen, maybe? No, that doesn't sound right. Lantusgoddess. That's it. :D

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

Wilf and Heather :) know what they're talking about.

I just want to say that it is not normal for kids to go low and crash. If this happens routinely to kids from your endo's practice, they don't understand how to dose insulin properly.

I'm so glad you found this forum. It sounds like you're on the right track to getting the J's insulin doses sorted.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

Maybe BootieGoddess.. ;)

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

LOL Too funny!:D I'm thinking Bootielicious:D:p

5. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

new update , fast asleep and was on 23.3 half an hour ago

isnt dropping , has been HI and down to 23.3 , no huge , rapid drop so far , so looking a bit safer , checking every hour for another maybe two hours , if not dropping i will do 2-3 hour test through tonight :)

wanted to say thank you all so much for your help so far , we really appreciate it xx :) xx

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Good morning from the USA :) I just wanted to say that you are an amazing young lady. I have such respect for you for taking care of your younger brother. Just reading this thread has me in tears. But tears of happiness that you care so much for him and want to take good care of him. We will all help you with that as much as we can.

Is there any way that you can find another endo doctor or nurse to advise you. Im not sure what that one is getting at. It sounds as if they are treating your brother as if he was much older and larger. The amount of lantus hes getting is just too much for an active child of that age. The constant lows are very worrisome to me as the mother of a young active boy myself, I know how quickly things can happen.

7. shekov

shekov Approved members

I would start searching for a new endo as well.

Where are you in NZ? We have a couple people on the boards here from NZ. Maybe they could give you an endo recommendation.:)

8. Heather(CA)

OK, so can you give us a run down? The last time we talked he was 180 three hours after dinner, then 111 not long after that.

Put the times tested, the numbers and if/when any snacks were given. Don't be discouraged, this is a work in progress:D I'm thinking he dropped again before the HI and 23.3. He had gotten the 13 Lantus that morning, did you stick with 10 units this morning? How's it going today?

On a side note, once we get the Lantus figured out, the carb ratios will probably change too...

9. MelStan

MelStan Member

Hi :cwds:
    I'm sorry that you're having all these problems with your brother's bgs. It sounds like a very scary and stressful situation you have going on right now :(

What area are you in, if you care to share? (I'm in Southland, NZ :D)

I also want to add that I think you are doing a phenomenal job in helping care for your brother too. He is very lucky to have you for a sister :)
    Good luck! Hope you get things sorted soon!!

10. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

Hi, sorry to chime in so late and if this has been asked, please disregard. Have you been making absolute sure that his hands are clean before you test? It's possible you are getting false highs from dirty fingers (and I don't mean visibly dirty.

I think you are doing a great thing by coming here for advise. My J's doctor told us we are the ones living with it and we should do changes as we feel they are needed unless it's a drastic change or we are not sure about it.

Keep up the good work!

11. allisa

allisa Approved members

chiming in late & didn't read all 11 pages...but....I'd say that is a lot of insulin for a 10 year old....26 units of lantus a day :eek: ...I know....YDMV....but....hopefully you've gotten good advice here...actually....I'm pretty certain you will have !

12. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I am just readling all of this. I hope your brother is doing better now.

I also think it is awesome that there are so many people around here to help out when others need it. You are also a very special person to help your brother and dad out so much.

13. Brendan's Mom

Brendan's Mom Approved members

I think it is awesome that there are so many people around here to help out when others need it. You are also a very special person to help your brother and dad out so much.[/QUOTE]

You are truly a wonderful sister! I hope your brother is better today:)

14. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

The 22.9 is in mmol I think. If that is the case then you would multiply it by 18 it would be 418. Something tells me he is
    dropping at night and rebounding. Definitely needs less Lantus.

15. susanH

susanH Approved members

you are to be commended for the care you are giving your precious little brother. i know how difficult this can be, this thread is an example of the true challenge of caring for a child with type 1 diabetes.

i can not add anything to the advice given here, i wouldn't even try, very valuable source of support and help for you.

my 'kid' is grown, 21 yo type 1 since he was 2. whenever he would fall out of control, we'd find hidden corn syrups in food he was eating as a contributing factor -- just happened recently in a protein shake he takes after workouts. high fructose corn syrup stays 'around' in his system for hours, sometimes a day or longer, sending his numbers way higher than normal. As you make changes in his insulin regimin, read labels and eliminate this ingredient completely from his diet, it may help in stabilizing things just a bit..and after things settle down, make sure it's gone for good!

stay strong! good luck to both of you.

16. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I too just wanted to say how impressed I am that you are helping so much...you are a great sister:)

17. Heather(CA)

How's it going Big sis?:confused::cwds: