- advertisement -

ok .. pleeeease help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by arggggg, Feb 9, 2010.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

Depends on how low a low. If it's a 3 (55) or even a 2.5 (45) then that is a good combination.

But when you're at 1.2 (21) that is potential seizure territory, and you want carbs that will just about instantaneously release sugar to the bloodstream. Glucose tabs and soda pop or fast fruit juices are what I would use at a time like that.

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

Now, if you retested and you were in range, and then ate a meal, would you bolus for the carbs (normally of course you would) ..but in the situation of this thread?

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I just wanted to say that while it is great that you found this site, and it can be a great place for support and information (and I will probably get beaten senseless for saying this) in my opinion you should be working with your local trained medical professionals as much as possible right now. There are some very experienced parents here who are very smart, but I am sure they (and you) would feel horrible if your brother ended up in the hospital or worse because of treatment advice they gave you.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

My advice in the context of this thread, before the LO-rebound-HI had been to not bolus for any meals until he was safely up over 10.

At this point with the last BG reading a HI, I'd be bolusing for carbs - but cautiously (ie. not applying the corrections built into the sliding scale, but just what would normally be needed if BG was a perfect 5.0 (or 80))..

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

So, bolus for the carbs eaten, but do not give a correction?

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

How nice of you to stop by, Christopher.. :rolleyes:

Actually I'd be feeling bad if I had sat back and mouthed platitudes while the local trained medical professionals and the insulin regimen they had prescribed caused the younger brother of the OP to have a seizure or worse..

I believe in calling them as I see them, and in this case what I see is a dysfunctional insulin regimen (prescribed by the local trained medical professionals) that is endangering the life of a child with diabetes.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

That's it exactly! :)

8. Christopher

I was just stating my opinion, I thought that was OK to do here. No need to be rude.

9. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

okey dokey im back :D

update , he has had 10u lantus and 6 novo (one less than usual)
    bsl was HI at the time (530pm) ,he let us give him booty shots with hardly any fuss and i quote "i didnt even feeeeeeeel that!!!!! " :D has had dinner and last bsl check 5.4 (655pm) (10 minutes ago)

his team has gone home for the night , will be calling them in the morning

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

Did you actually read the thread before posting?

11. Christopher

In the interest of not derailing the thread why don't you PM me if you would like to continue.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

So in an hour and a half he has gone from HI to 5.4 (97). That is not good - he is probably going to be going low again.. :(

When exactly did he get the bolus, and when was he done eating? Oh, and what was for supper?

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

For what it's worth...I agree 100%:cwds:

In addition, I only add carbs if Seth is low from a lot of exercise. Not for normal lows...

14. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

ok , im sorry if this thread has stirred things up , wasnt intentional , but can i say that it has been / you all have been so so helpful , i will be in contact with his team tommorow as its too late at night now , but iv already learnt of a couple of things which we have been doing wrong ( as per advice) which we were never informed were wrong , eg- treatment of low bsl , juice ect and then wait and retest , not give carbs WITH fast acting eg juice.. sugar ect

from now on we will be treating lows as i have read here and see how that goes , we were already going to drop his lantus , and talking to all of you have confirmed and backed up our thoughts that the doses were way to high , so thank you , im glad it wasnt just in our heads ( the dose issue)
    xx

15. Heather(CA)

Did he let you give it to him in the bootie? If so, what did you bribe him with lol:D

16. Christopher

Glad to hear that. As I said this is a great place for support. I hope things with your brother improve. :cwds:

17. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

530pm did bsl , gave lantus and novo ( this is how its normally done) then wait 10 minutes and he eats.

only just gone for supper now, because he was dropping so fast , he gone out with dad to find supper , prob to get a burger or something , hopefully with the adjustments , tommorow he will settle and not fluctuate so much :/

18. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

didnt have to bribe him :D woohoo just said ok , pants down and dont move hehe he did and ... done :D easy

19. wilf

wilf Approved members

Not to worry about the stirred up bit, your posts have been exemplary. :)

I am quite worried about your brother going low again very shortly. The 6 units bolus you gave him is only about 50% used up, with the other 50% to come in the next 90-120 minutes. On top of that the Lantus is still pulling him down, with new Lantus added.

My best guess is that he will go LO again within the next 30-90 minutes, unless you get some more carbs into him. I'd be treating him NOW with 30 g fast-acting liquid carbs if there's something on hand that he likes to drink.

20. Heather(CA)

Oops, just to clarify, Only/Always give Lantus in the bootie. However, for the fastacing any place BUT the bootie :cwds:

The reason is that the bootie is a slow absorbtion area because of the fat. That's perfect for Lantus because you want it to be absorbed slowly.

On the other hand, you want fastacting to be fast, so the bootie is not a good spot. Does that make sense?