- advertisement -

ok .. pleeeease help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by arggggg, Feb 9, 2010.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

I agree with Heather - this morning's 19.1 can be ignored. It was just another in a series of rebound highs.

Your Dad is quite right. You can give him 10 units at dinner and then see how it goes overnight. If the Lantus is set right, then he should be staying steady (within +/- 2 mmol) between bedtime and waking. If he is dropping all night, then the Lantus needs to be reduced further. If he is rising all night (which I don't expect at all), then the Lantus would be too low and he'd be needing more.

So glad you found us and that we can help out with this.. :cwds:

2. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

still glaring at me and now has developed a low growl as well haha

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

It really is the BEST spot. Maybe you can bribe him???:D:p

4. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

hmmm new update , he had a 2.5 @340pm went up and was on 4.1 @420 , just did another at 440pm (just now) and he had bsl 1.2

5. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

will try to bribe him :D

6. Heather(CA)

I wish I knew how to translate those numbers easier...Anyone? What's the trick? Multiply by 18? Is that right?

7. Heather(CA)

He's 10, it shouldn't be too hard LOL

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

These are mmol, right? :eek:

1.2 is not good at all. You should hold off on giving any Lantus whatsoever, and you need to treat that low right now! Ideally with soda pop, something liquid with lots of sugar. At least 15 g liquid carbs.

Once he has that in him, please test the meter on yourself to make sure it's working properly.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

They're mmol.

1 mmol = 18 mg/dL (units used in US)

So a 1.2 is a potential emergency situation. You want to have your emergency phone numbers (for ambulance) handy if he doesn't come up fast from that 1.2..

10. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

yes they are and have already treated , had done before posting, hes eating and dinner not due for ages anyway , testing again when hes eaten sandwiches

11. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

he is fine , normal , just hungry , this is what he is normally like , sitting beside me

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

I have a home team advantage, as we use mmol in Canada.. :cwds:

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

How was he when you measured the 1.2?! I ask this for a reason. If he is acting half-way normal at such low numbers, it is because he's had chronic lows for quite some time.

Please do test that meter on yourself to make sure it's working properly. You should be between oh 4.0 and 7.0 or so..

14. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

how quickly should he rise? he has shot up to HI after being treated , 125mls juice and 2 sandwiches (peanut butter) as per instruction by medical

he was fine on 1.2 , appeared normal , i only picked it because he said he was dizzy , did mine , am 6.9

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

Ok, so meter is working well.

But he just had a bad low followed by yet another rebound. Resist the temptation to try to bring down the high BG (blood glucose) levels with more insulin. It is worth just seeing where the numbers go from here.

Given that he's now HI, there is no need to test every 20 minutes. But I'd test in an hour to see what is up.

And honestly I would hold off on giving any evening Lantus until you're sure it's safe. Safe for me would be a string of numbers over several hours up over 10 or so..

16. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

1.2 is a very low number. To echo what others have said, I'm very concerned because it sounds like these lows have been going on for a while. The Liver if not given a chance to replenish its stores (which sounds like the case, given these extreme fluctuations) will lose its ability to come to the rescue at some point - making the chance of a seizure, or worse, likely.

It sounds like the plan is good - that is reducing the Lantus big time, measuring often since lows aren't being felt until really low, and measuring right through the night.

I'm glad you found this site. Good for you for searching for a solution.

17. sooz

sooz Approved members

I would just like to thank Wilf and the others for giving such excellent advice and being there. I have found his advice to be so thoughtful and right on target.

Wilf would you comment on whether, after you treat a low, it is important to test again 15-20 min later to see if the number has come up. By that I mean, would you treat the low, as in, give juice... then test..and if the number is high enough THEN give additional food for a meal and bolus for the carbs eaten for the meal. Or, is it ok just to treat the low and eat the meal all at once without giving any insulin? Is it the latter that is leading to a high? Is my question understandable?

This thread is as exciting as a Michael Crichton novel I swear! Im sitting here on pins and needles waiting for the next chapter!

18. wilf

wilf Approved members

Thanks for your kind words.

If it were me treating a 1.2 (or 21, which is REALLY low), I wouldn't be giving meal/sandwiches until liquid carbs and/or glucose tabs had brought BG levels up to around 4 (70).

There is a risk that the heavier meal/sandwich would take too long to digest and release their carbs to deal safely with what is an emergency situation.

19. arggggg

arggggg Approved members

hmmmm , we have been told all along to treat a low with juice and a carb , ie muesli bar , or a couple of buiscuits or sandwich, then retest 15-20 minutes to make sure bsl has gone up

20. sooz

sooz Approved members

Thank you, that's what I was thinking but I was getting a little confused.